Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Court decision gives AC gates at YYZ TNew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Court decision gives AC gates at YYZ TNew

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2004, 11:20 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Sorry? Me, or Ken?

[This message has been edited by Simon (edited Feb 24, 2004).]
Old Feb 24, 2004, 11:30 am

Programs: AC - ACMM; LH - SEN
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Simon:
Sorry? Companies in CCAA, or Chapter 11, for that matter, can cancel existing contracts.</font>
They can't just walk away they still have to pay some penalites but these are extremely reduced so for those on the receiving end it can feel like they walked away paying nothing. A friends company in CCAA did this to get out of a long term lease on a facility. They ended up paying out 3 months rent on the remaining 3.5 years of the contract.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
GTAA seems to have screwed up again. They have been doing rennovations and expansion of T3 for thepast several years too, and one would have thought accommodating 737s with winglets might have been something they'd contemplate for that terminal. </font>
I don't think it was a screw up, but rather GTAA never removed or altered the CP reconfiguration. Based on the above info, I think CP reconfigured the airside schematic to allow for either three F28s or two A320s by adjusting the centerlines and adding one bridge.

It is still possible to Jetsgo to use that area with their F100s.

FYI, the 73G with winglets has an odd wingspan. The 737, 318/319/320, and MD80/90 all have wings spans of about 112 feet. The winglets take the 73G to 117 feet. T3 won't be the only terminal with a tight fit. I bet Southwest has some tight bridges as all their aircraft are 112ft wingspan.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 4:19 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PunishedEdmontonian:
[b] Well, one thing's for sure: AC couldn't compete in the real marketplace and hence the CCAA proceedings!

Only poorly-managed businesses end up in CCAA or Chapter 11....the overwhelmingly vast majority of businesses - and individuals - don't resort to court protection.

I suppose we will see Edmonton Airports Authority there soon as well and you will likely blame AC

Old Feb 24, 2004, 4:29 pm

Little chance of that since the AIF would simply be raised to meet costs.

BTW how many flights and staff has your beloved employer added in YEG? I'm going to be enjoying HP's non-stop YEG-LAS daily service in a couple of weeks.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

WestJet comments on Judge Farley's decision.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O15E12387
Old Feb 24, 2004, 5:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fisch:
most gates at T3 are not usable for the B737-700s with winglets... </font>
There are exactly 3 gates at T3 that are not able to handle a 117ft wingspan, namely C-24, C-25 and C-26 on the inside of the "horseshoe" between B and C piers. All the other gates along C are widebody capable, and those along the transborder pier are all able to handle 117ft wingspans.

Don't believe everything that the company Kool Aid machine serves you.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Clive was just on CBC, saying that AC must be afraid of his superior service because they don't want to share gates with him. Well, if it is a superior product, people will come to T3. All he wants is to further hobble AC by making it more difficult for its domestic passengers. Interesting how when he really faces competition he doesn't accept it so graciously.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 5:30 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
Don't believe everything that the company Kool Aid machine serves you.</font>
As a matter of fact I didn't hear it from the company.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 6:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Interesting how when he really faces competition he doesn't accept it so graciously.</font>
I rather thought it was AC that didn't want to face the competition in T-New.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:24 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
I think no matter it's TNew or T3 or whatever it is, it's still "Toronto". If WestJet indeeds increase their frequency and services in/out of Toronto, it is a competition to AC. However, commenting on this issue alone, I think GTAA should live up to its commitment or agreement or whatever it is that those 14 gates are for AC as we know all along. It's understandable that WestJet wants to get into Toronto, but they too should have known better that getting into Toronto means a tough fight with AC, let alone getting into the the TNew.

Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Clive was just on CBC, saying that AC must be afraid of his superior service because they don't want to share gates with him. Well, if it is a superior product, people will come to T3. All he wants is to further hobble AC by making it more difficult for its domestic passengers. Interesting how when he really faces competition he doesn't accept it so graciously.</font>
It's a close contest as to who is more annoying and smug: Milton or Beddoe?
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:41 pm
At Large

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ken hAAmer:
Interesting how when he really faces competition he doesn't accept it so graciously.</font>
I rather thought it was AC that didn't want to face the competition in T-New.
Well well if it ain't the converted speaking;don't get the FF plan you wanted so AC is the pure enemy........I think in time we will see that WS is a pretender.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 10:17 pm
exAC

Westjet will do well with their flights to Toronto. They can't help but do well.

The market size for Toronto to all domestic destinations is from one quarter to one third the potential that it could be with a strong low fare stimulation.

Thus also the reason for Air canada changing their pricing structure to one with one way fares and differential pricing. They are hoping for tremendous market stimulation to offset the lower yields.

Old Feb 25, 2004, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

WestJet to fight back?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B20912587

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.