Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Court decision gives AC gates at YYZ TNew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Court decision gives AC gates at YYZ TNew

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2004, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Okay, let's look at the numbers for a minute. AC is YYZ/GTAA's top tennant. They supply roughly 60% of all the passengers flowing through the airport, and let's say this represents 60% of the revenue collected by the GTAA. [It may actually be more as AC occupies more terminal space, and generally flies larger aircraft -- thus pays higher landing fees -- than any other carrier, and particularly the LCCs.]

According to the GTAA's last annual report, it generated $740.2 million in revenue from the AFC [$147.5 million], Landing Fees [$382.4 million] and Terminal Charges [$210.3 million]. This means that AC -- even if it defaulted on a few million when it entered into CCAA protection -- contributed $450 million to the operations, maintenance and rebuilding of YYZ in the past two years.

How much did WestJet contribute in that same period? Not likely much more than 1% to 2% I would think. Not to mention that as AC transits more people through YYZ than likely any other single carrier does in all boardings/deplanings, and the GTAA is one of the few airports in the world to charge a transit Facilties Fee, AC delivered to the GTAA maybe 3/4s of the $147.5 million that was generated to pay for the T1New.

And Mr. West Jet is bellowing about being treated unfairly. Gawd, he reminds me of too many Alberta politicians who think they have achieved such great things and belittle their colleages from the ROC who have not eliminated their public debt, yet conveniently forget about all those dinosaurs that gave their biomass to create the petrolium that lies beneath the surface of the province.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 7:18 am
At Large

Clive of course gets it but doesn't get it;CCAA is to protect jobs while reorganizing a business;he just wants to jab AC but in reality can't stand the fact they are going to compete head on with him and make it viscious;he got his easy run when C3000 went down and when CP died...times will now get tougher.The jokes will get shallower now.
Sorry Fisch
Old Feb 25, 2004, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Westjet has nothing to worry about with the current AC management. They manage to shoot themselves in the foot, while their foot is in their mouth quite enough all on their own

Old Feb 25, 2004, 8:40 am
At Large

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Altaflyer:
Westjet has nothing to worry about with the current AC management. They manage to shoot themselves in the foot, while their foot is in their mouth quite enough all on their own

</font>
Remember though that LI will now direct things and Milton will not be able to gamble the airlines future as he did in the past. You will see a mean competitor out there offering good service.....albeit too expensive in some cases but time will adjust that to market conditions.

[This message has been edited by parnel (edited Feb 25, 2004).]
Old Mar 6, 2004, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am catching up on magazine reading this am.

The following editorial about Air Canada, WestJet and the GTAA caught my eye in this week's copy of Canadian Business

http://makeashorterlink.com/?J4E8251A7

Edited to fix link

[This message has been edited by airbus320 (edited Mar 06, 2004).]
Old Mar 6, 2004, 9:48 am
At Large

It's interesting that the same rticle talked about spam and I had three pop ups while reading the article. No wonder CB doesn't mind spam.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Court of Appeals upholds lower court decision. AC to get preferenfial access to 14 gates at T New.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/03/19...rcanada_040319

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.