Wiki Posts
Search

The "THANKS Concierge!" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Thanks YVR concierges
YVR Concierges are the best. Almost every time I come in from HKG,LAX or elsewhere and we're running late there's always not just one, but two or three concierges with radios working together so I can make my flight back to Montreal

Last time coming in from AC8 and connecting to 112 another SE and me were the only ones to make it. Apparently 32 people were offloaded and put on the redeye - and I had checked bags
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They said it was only possible because it was less busy due to the long weekend, but I absolutely couldn't believe the service I got.

Thanks YVR concierges
Wow - awesome service!^

Personally, I´d never expect such service if it´s me who´s causing the tight connection (trying to make a connection under MCT), but it´s great to see it may be offered if AC screws up.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Wow - awesome service!^

Personally, I´d never expect such service if it´s me who´s causing the tight connection (trying to make a connection under MCT), but it´s great to see it may be offered if AC screws up.
YVR Concierges Karen, Nathalie, Ron, Pat, Betty, Sally and others are some of the best system wide as HKG Station.
I've noticed in YYZ and YUL as of late, that there is a push to be more engaged with the customer and are now way more visible.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by SEMM
I've noticed in YYZ and YUL as of late, that there is a push to be more engaged with the customer and are now way more visible.
I don't understand - where do they actually sit?

I never see them - at check in, security, in the lounge, at the gate....

I've not yet encountered a concierge or used one yet... maybe that needs to change!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cooleddie
I don't understand - where do they actually sit?

I never see them - at check in, security, in the lounge, at the gate....

I've not yet encountered a concierge or used one yet... maybe that needs to change!
That´s surprising IMO. While the YYZ concierges are not nearly as proactive about meeting SEs at the plane or elsewhere as other concierges, there´s usually a concierge in the int´l MLL and at the departure/arrival gate of SE-heavy int´l flights (e.g. I frequently see them when departing on AC872 to FRA).

Otherwise they´re most likely in the concierge office where they (hopefully) watch the flights of SEs, proactively rebook, answer the phone, reply to e-mail requests etc. A lot of the work they do goes on in the background.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Wow - awesome service!^

I agree. I was expecting them to answer the phone and say "Sorry, because of the delay, you won't make it."

That's why I'm astounded.

Originally Posted by SEMM
YVR Concierges Karen, Nathalie, Ron, Pat, Betty, Sally and others are some of the best system wide as HKG Station.
It was Nathalie and Laura who helped me. I'm glad I had some Easter chocolates for them

Although I learned you shouldn't offer them anything before clearing customs
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
YVR concierges are pretty good! I was connecting from HNL to YYZ through YVR just after I became SE. I had a bit of a layover since I opted for the next flight with pods rather than the shortest connection. A concierge met me at the door and told me there was an equipment change so there would be no pods and asked me if I would rather go on the next flight (that I don't think was even legal since it was so tight) and guided Mrs. Allbrosca and myself through customs and security so we just made the flight. Took hours off my day. Good on her to recognize that!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
I'll relay a story I actually wrote into AC about on Thursday of this week, complimenting the YYZ concierges.

Last Tuesday's snow storm in YYZ made the YYZ-HKG flight 90 minutes late, and the return YYZ-HKG (which I was on) was also 90 minutes late. I had booked a 2 hour connection to AC145 YYZ-YYC. Upon landing, I called the concierge and said I am on the ground, have Nexus and no checked baggage and really wanted to make the connect. They told me they had been monitoring my flight and that if I wanted to go for it they'd have a concierge meet me outside customs (they said "run").

I was first off the plane (T minus 25 minutes to departure) at 7:35, ran upstairs towards customs and saw the last few passengers struggling off an Emirates A380. Great. Customs was rammed and there was about 30 wheelchair passengers all lined up in front of the Nexus machines. Took about 7 or 8 minutes to just do Nexus and hand my form to the customs agent it was so busy.

Sure enough, concierge is there with my name on a piece of paper. As soon as I run up she calls the gate and they were already half-way done boarding (T minus 16ish minutes). She runs interference for me through security and then while I'm waiting for my bags to be checked runs to the gate to physically ensure they don't close the door. I run onto the plane and sit down. 7:53. Plane pushed back 3 minutes early.

I yelled my thanks as I jumped on the plane but wrote in to AC to thank her for her efforts. No way I would have made it as they would have just assumed a misconnect. And then I would have been stuck in the YYZ MLL for 3 hours until the 1055pm flight (and why o why does AC only have an 8pm and then a 10:55pm flight from YYZ-YYC?!?!).

Everyone was extremely helpful.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by YYCYYZ
I yelled my thanks as I jumped on the plane but wrote in to AC to thank her for her efforts. No way I would have made it as they would have just assumed a misconnect. And then I would have been stuck in the YYZ MLL for 3 hours until the 1055pm flight (and why o why does AC only have an 8pm and then a 10:55pm flight from YYZ-YYC?!?!).

Everyone was extremely helpful.
That's a great story! Sounds like your proactive strategy, plus the hard work of the concierge paid dividends.

RE: HKG-YYZ-YYC. Were you avoiding the 777HD by going via YYZ?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
That's a great story! Sounds like your proactive strategy, plus the hard work of the concierge paid dividends.

RE: HKG-YYZ-YYC. Were you avoiding the 777HD by going via YYZ?
Yup. In that same email to AC I expressed my displeasure with J on the HD which I took on the way out.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 4:30 pm

Like to thank Julia in Toronto; was flying YOW-YYZ-YVR today and the YOW-YYZ was 30 minutes late (leaving a very tight connection). YOW Concierge team swung into action to add a note to my file and inform the Toronto team that I had no bags and would be running to the gate, and asked them not to unload me. Lost another 10min on loading bags, and the nail in the coffin was a missed approach (loss of separation) into Toronto. She met me at the gate with a new boarding pass in hand; and had no issue getting me onto another 'pod' flight

The delay obviously sucks, but a safe flight, excellent ground service made for a good day regardless
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: AC 100k, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I'd like to thank Don (Winnipeg). Flying to YYZ 6:45am today. Flight delayed, he found me in the lounge, let me know the circumstances of the delay (and apologized?!?!), arranged a confirmed seat on the 10am as a back up.
And the flight was only delayed 35min as he predicted.
He met me at the gate to make sure everything was good to go.
Just wow!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: AC SE
A big thank you to the YVR team, and Steve in particular for helping me catch AC230 on Friday! After I fell asleep on the skytrain and woke up halfway back towards downtown I ended up arriving at YVR at T-12. I really can't believe you got me on that plane, but it was awesome!

Steve, great driving skills! If you weren't so great as a concierge, I'd recommend a racing pilot career.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
A big thank you to the YVR team, and Steve in particular for helping me catch AC230 on Friday! After I fell asleep on the skytrain and woke up halfway back towards downtown I ended up arriving at YVR at T-12.
You got to the airport 12 minutes before the flight and made it? Pretty impressive! Did they actually keep the gate open just for you?

My wife had a similar experience a few years back when she accidentally took my passport instead of hers - I had to race back home and back to the airport and they rushed her to the gate just in time
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
You got to the airport 12 minutes before the flight and made it? Pretty impressive! Did they actually keep the gate open just for you?
I was definitely the last one to board. I feel slightly bad for the people who boarded before me. at T-20 concierge told me they were down to boarding the last 10.. at T-10 operations allowed me 3 more minutes (just cleared security at that time). I can only say that this experience in itself makes it worth maintaining SE status.

Not that I recommend trying to replicate this at all... I had no nails left by the time I got to YVR and although I'm quite fit my heartrate was through the roof when I got to the plane... Another thanks to the FA is in order too, as she presented me with pre-departure water in Y noticing my exhausted stated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.