Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2024)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:38 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I think in all the times I have ever flown to Narita (many) only once was a plane delayed due to a massive snow storm in Canada.

Re point 3-that won't have any relevance.

When you get off the AC plane and go to the transfer point, don't be shy about showing staff your boarding pass to CQK and point out the time issue. They likely will move you to front of the line
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:24 pm

Not explicitly stated as cash or miles, so I'll just note that I've had outstation AC staff in the US refuse to assist on Aeroplan tickets mid journey between legs, for a misconnect caused by an AC, connecting onto NH. They assisted a cash passenger by rebooking onto QR, so don't think they're too limited on who they can rebook you with if it's not a reward ticket.
​​​
I believe NRT is staffed by AC employees, not contractors, so that may help.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Connection security around the time that YYZ and YUL flights land in NRT is usually quiet. Was through there recently and it look about 3 mins. They also had people with signs at the top of the jet bridge for several flights (looked like 3 or 4) with very tight connections and were making sure pax connected on to those. Unless your flight is so late that making the connection is impossible (in which case AC will rebook you) then you should be able to make it. But it will be tight obviously.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
AC854. After sprinting to make the bag cutoff time since the concierge said too bad so sad if I was late, I got there on time and checked my bag. In the lounge and recd a msg saying my flight is departing early but on reading the msg its actually delayed 2 hrs. My 5th flight of 2024 with AC and I am batting a 100% - all have been late. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AS 100K
What's happened with Air Canada 564?

At some point, I was wondering if this 737 MAX 8 airframe was about to land at the manufacturer's airfield, but they've made the whole way back to Canada.

Last edited by seryoga; Feb 4, 2024 at 6:34 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
a few storms near SFO

​​​​​​
My guess:

With a US preclearance flight, the clearance is only valid at the original listed airport. They could have landed elsewhere in the US, but generally would be stuck waiting on the plane for conditions to improve at SFO.
seryoga and kalderlake like this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AS 100K
Interesting.

I didn't know it worked that way with preclearance. It's stormy here indeed, and airport operations are not running very smoothly today.

Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:28 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by expert7700
With a US preclearance flight, the clearance is only valid at the original listed airport. They could have landed elsewhere in the US, but generally would be stuck waiting on the plane for conditions to improve at SFO.
The pre-clearance restriction only matters if letting pax off the plane. (CBP can choose to waive that, although I've been told it's pretty uncommon). Having to return all the way to Canada for an alternate would severely limit the US airports that AC could fly to. I have seen IAH-bound AC CR9s diverted to HOU, CLL, and LCH, for example, when IAH was experiencing WX issues. The aircraft will land and then go park at some remote part of the airport just to wait out the weather.

In the case of this flight, it's likely that (a) they weren't confident they'd be able to get to SFO at all today and/or (b) they were concerned the crew would time out by the time they'd be able to get in to SFO. Also possible there was MX or passenger medical issue or something, with the same concerns, but seems more likely that WX was the issue.
seryoga likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:16 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Yeah, wicked WX at SFO today. Gusts over 53 kts.

Would still suck to be on such a delayed flight, only to come back and be cancelled. I wonder what SQM they would collect...
Old Feb 4, 2024, 9:11 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Yeah, wicked WX at SFO today. Gusts over 53 kts.

Would still suck to be on such a delayed flight, only to come back and be cancelled. I wonder what SQM they would collect...
The conditions at SFO were/are absolutely terrible. Lots of diversions to OAK, SJC, FAT, SMF. If they had to divert anywhere they would have been stuck on the ground for hours, so going back to YVR was likely the right call.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 10:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The pre-clearance restriction only matters if letting pax off the plane. (CBP can choose to waive that, although I've been told it's pretty uncommon). Having to return all the way to Canada for an alternate would severely limit the US airports that AC could fly to. I have seen IAH-bound AC CR9s diverted to HOU, CLL, and LCH, for example, when IAH was experiencing WX issues. The aircraft will land and then go park at some remote part of the airport just to wait out the weather.
Precisely what I meant by saying: "They could have landed elsewhere in the US, but generally would be stuck waiting on the plane for conditions to improve at SFO".

----------

Here's another relevant entry for this thread,

AC65 YVR-BKK diverted to HKG due to emergency Feb4th. After 90min on the ground, the crew continued working a 20-hour duty day (!) by then operating HKG-BKK.

Last edited by expert7700; Feb 5, 2024 at 11:01 pm
Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:20 pm

Changing Flight to Avoid Incoming Snow Storm

AC wait time is long at the moment and couldn't find the answer on their website. Will they permit us to move our flight a day earlier to avoid an incoming storm at no additional cost? Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:28 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by stoddaj1
AC wait time is long at the moment and couldn't find the answer on their website. Will they permit us to move our flight a day earlier to avoid an incoming storm at no additional cost? Thanks in advance.
If the storm is bad enough they've issued a weather waiver, yes. If not, no.
billdokes, stoddaj1 and kalderlake like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by stoddaj1
If they have issued a travel advisory they sometimes will, but it's usually just a day or so in advance. In the past I have received an e mail with the advisory and noting the change option.

Go to the Daily Travel Outlook on the website.
billdokes and stoddaj1 like this.

Last edited by Wigg; Feb 7, 2024 at 4:35 pm
Old Feb 7, 2024, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Interesting story in the National Post of a YYZ-YYT flight AC698 on Monday that apparently tried to land at YYT three times but each time went around due to high cross winds and eventually returned to YYZ. I am shocked that the pilot would have boarded enough fuel to fly to YYT and then all the way back to YYZ (into a headwind). Is fuel so expensive in Newfoundland that it is cheaper for AC to "double cater" its fuel in YYZ?
https://nationalpost.com/news/air-ca...nding-attempts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.