Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2024)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:07 pm

Question Cancellation Question

Hi - I am currently booked on an AC flight to Quebec from Chicago with points next week. I am not familiar with the policy if AC needs to cancel the flight due to weather (or any other reason for that matter). We have 2 seats in business class and was wondering if they would just book us on the next flight out or just refund the points and we would need to rebook. Pretty new to the points games so thanks in advance for any insight.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Patybear
Hi - I am currently booked on an AC flight to Quebec from Chicago with points next week. I am not familiar with the policy if AC needs to cancel the flight due to weather (or any other reason for that matter). We have 2 seats in business class and was wondering if they would just book us on the next flight out or just refund the points and we would need to rebook. Pretty new to the points games so thanks in advance for any insight.
They may offer to cancel, but they cannot really force you to accept.

OTOH, about rebooking, availability may be a bit of an issue, not as many options as with piad tickets. For instance, only staralliance. Plus, if many people are in the same situation, may take a while.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 3:12 pm
zam

Originally Posted by arf04
We are on a 014 ticket tomorrow via FRA to YYZ and LH has cancelled the inbound but not the outbound as of yet. As the flight we are on is a straight out and back if the aircraft isn’t coming then we are definitely not going back tomorrow. I’d like to be proactive but I can see how, logically, AC won’t be willing to rebook us onto an alternate route that would allow us to leave tomorrow? We are in TFS, which is not the worst place to get stuck for a few days of course… but if we can get rebooked onto TP via LIS we should avoid the worst weather in Western Europe and still get back to canada on schedule.

So, my question: is there any point in calling AC before the LH/4Y flight we are on tomorrow is actually cancelled? I can’t see that it will operate given the status of the inbound. We are on a J booking and E50 if that makes any difference. It was certainly a good week to be away from western Canada!

Edit to add: it looks like LH/4Y are sending the plane in tonight so that explains the lack of a cancellation.
AC has a travel advisory for FRA so they should be willing to make a proactive change for you. Certainly worth calling and mentioning the waiver.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by zam
AC has a travel advisory for FRA so they should be willing to make a proactive change for you. Certainly worth calling and mentioning the waiver.
Thanks for noting this. We are on LH to YYZ, so would that make a difference? Still a 014 ticket, tho.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:51 pm
zam

That is what I'm not certain about either and is why I said that AC only "should" be willing to reschedule...please let us know, if you do try.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 8:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
AC880 had a 3hr delay Monday (mechanical) causing us to misconnect in YYZ on 881.

The non SE's that misconnected had new boaring passes and hotel vouchers lined up alphebetically on a table a few steps from the arrival gate. (As an SE, nothing for us -- we were directed to an unprepared & surprised concierge office after immigration, where we spent the next hour).

Turns out the system had rebooked us onto AC103 the next morning, which was also cancelled before we got to YYZ. Despite our paid Business class pods, the system rebooked us again for the next day in Economy on United with an Economy connection on Alaska Airlines.

​​​​Perhaps most interesting to me is they gave us a "Notice of Passenger Trip Interruption" sleeve dated 2021. No mention of APPR (is this an APPR violation in itself?)

The back cover is an advertisement to purchase www.aircanada.com/onmyway for future bookings, which is no longer sold.

It offers a special* distressed passenger accomodation at passenger cost, through www.roomstorm.com.

A vast 10-12% off direct booked rates at YYZ hotels. Or 1-3% off AAA/CAA/Senior rates booked direct. Roomstorm is "a silicon valley startup aimed at maximizing hotel owner/operator revenue."
flyingcrooked and Wigg like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Jan 17, 2024 at 9:06 pm
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:07 pm

Programs: AC SE
Jan 17 AC216 YVR YYC delayed by 4h30. At least it looks like my plane for AC130 tomorrow will make it to YYC. The red-eye backup did not...
Spoiler

AC159 YYZ YYC Jan 17 Cancelled. App shows mechanical. As a result AC156 YYC YYZ Jan 18 Cancelled.
Spoiler

Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:41 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by expert7700
The non SE's that misconnected had new boaring passes and hotel vouchers lined up alphebetically on a table a few steps from the arrival gate. (As an SE, nothing for us -- we were directed to an unprepared & surprised concierge office after immigration, where we spent the next hour).
This sounds pretty shocking to me. Not a great way to treat (some of) your best customers or you employees IMHO.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
This sounds pretty shocking to me. Not a great way to treat (some of) your best customers or you employees IMHO.
I'm pretty sure my last AC to AC misconnect where I did not request anything in advance, and I was not met by an agent whose sole job was "me", was with expert7700 .

Usually I'm telling them "nah, change me to this flight", and then I ignore them and keep walking. Unless "this flight" require urgent processing.

But I'm a little surprised that three one SE on really expensive cheap J tickets wouldn't have better treatment.
expert7700 and Wigg like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
AC880 had a 3hr delay Monday (mechanical) causing us to misconnect in YYZ on 881.

"
Wow! This is abysmal.

As a newer SE (1.5 yrs) it is this situation I would expect the status to mean something. I remember a number of years ago we misconnected from CDG and had a similar situation. As a 50 or 75k I thought being rebooked on the next flight and having a boarding pass waiting was very good. I would expect the same as a SE with the Concierge waiting to answer any questions. I do hope you write in and express your disappointment in how this was handled (I assume this is how you feel).
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
But I'm a little surprised that three one SE on really expensive cheap J tickets wouldn't have better treatment.
I would hope that the cost of the fare doesn't wouldn't enter into the degree of service that the agents / Concierge would provide to SEs.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:10 pm

I would hope that the cost of the fare doesn't wouldn't enter into the degree of service that the agents / Concierge would provide to SEs.
I'm not sure I agree with that.

I definitely have different expectations on a $5000 J fare than a $500 J fare when it comes to IRROPS.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm not sure I agree with that.

I definitely have different expectations on a $5000 J fare than a $500 J fare when it comes to IRROPS.
Great. So the Concierge starts prioritizing assistance to SEs in order of fare, from most expensive to Aeroplan reward? Or better yet, cabin and fare?

Judging by The NO THANKS CONCIERGE thread, it would seem that many here have issues with the Concierges being able to provide basic services, let alone an ability to deal with some form of nuanced rankings.
CanadianMike likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:30 pm

Great. So the Concierge starts prioritizing assistance to SEs in order of fare, from most expensive to Aeroplan reward? Or better yet, cabin and fare?

Judging by The NO THANKS CONCIERGE thread, it would seem that many here have issues with the Concierges being able to provide basic services, let alone an ability to deal with some form of nuanced rankings.
Well that's sort of my point. Concierges are a limited resource.

If two wide-bodies get cancelled and there are 30 SEs in YVR who need assistance, who should they prioritize first?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Joys of living on the Island - flight AC8028 cancelled Friday morning @ 0630 due to weather...nothing you can do about that, but I can't get another flight until 1515 and landing in YYZ after midnight. So instead, I get to catch a morning ferry to the mainland and make my way to the airport.

First world problems...kinda...here's the real FWP...I purposely booked a Comfort/Y ticket as I'm heading to the fights and got a good deal. Between J (4) and PY (14), there were 13 spots open...I think I was on the border for J, but clear and free for PY once those J's cleared. Now I'm on a sold out flight in a cattle seat. Hopefully ferries aren't cancelled in the AM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.