Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

100% Air Canada Voucher - DEAD looking for info

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100% Air Canada Voucher - DEAD looking for info

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2024, 9:52 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Seems that person is back working as a pilot after a fine and some community service
I don't believe that Adam's point was that any crime should result in a lifetime of punishment.

It was simply to refute the statement made earlier that unauthorized use of a 100% discount code "is not fraud and theft by definition."

In Marc Tacchi's case, a judge very clearly ruled that it was fraud and theft.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 11:51 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Using a 100% Discount Code that wasn't expressly given to you to use is the same as finding a credit card on the sidewalk and using it buy a flight. It's fraud and theft plain and simple. There is no middle ground and I have no idea how this has warranted 107 (now 108) posts to get that simple point across.
bual, CanadaDH, WildcatYXU and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canopus27
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Seems that person is back working as a pilot after a fine and some community service
I don't believe that Adam's point was that any crime should result in a lifetime of punishment.

It was simply to refute the statement made earlier that unauthorized use of a 100% discount code "is not fraud and theft by definition."

In Marc Tacchi's case, a judge very clearly ruled that it was fraud and theft.
Indeed. And while I don't know the man, he was a fugitive from justice in Canada for a few years, unable to return in the knowledge he would be arrested if he did so. I have heard from FTers who knew him (he was actually on here back in the day, long before I joined) that it wasn't very pleasant not being able to come home to see family, friends, etc, and I think the Canadian warrant may also have limited some of the places he was able to travel due to extradition treaties. So although he served no jail time, he pled guilty to a criminal offence and suffered significant consequences.

As far as how that case translates to the current mess, as far as I'm aware, Tacchi and the person at the mystery shopper firm (identified as "Mr. Hunt" in the Tacchi materials) were the only ones to face criminal charges (Mr. Hunt got a 9-month conditional sentence). But given the total amount of the theft was only identified as being over $90K (so probably less than $100K, and Tacchi was $36K of that plus), this probably hadn't spread very far.

In this case, it seems the code propagated far more broadly and there were probably a lot more tickets booked. AC may have a good case to go after whoever first shared the code, and anyone who abused it knowing where it had come from and that it was wrong to use it (I suspect Tacchi's sophistication as a traveller and his use of a fake name were aggravating factors in his case, because he very clearly knew what he was doing was wrong). But someone who saw it posted on Reddit or got it 6th hand through some random chain of connections may not have had enough knowledge or intent to go after them criminally. And if their tickets were cancelled, no real damage incurred by AC.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:47 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
AC may have a good case to go after whoever first shared the code, and anyone who abused it knowing where it had come from and that it was wrong to use it (I suspect Tacchi's sophistication as a traveller and his use of a fake name were aggravating factors in his case, because he very clearly knew what he was doing was wrong). But someone who saw it posted on Reddit or got it 6th hand through some random chain of connections may not have had enough knowledge or intent to go after them criminally. And if their tickets were cancelled, no real damage incurred by AC.
That is supposing they can force Reddit to reveal the author of the post.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:53 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
One of my friends were trying to get me book it, the minute I saw it was 100% coupon I noped out. I told him it's gonna get canceled too.. and morally it didn't felt right either.

His tickets were rightfully canceled last night.
taupo and warrens like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:02 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
That is supposing they can force Reddit to reveal the author of the post.
It's probable that the first person to share it was not the person who posted it on Reddit. The code was probably issued to an employee, vendor, or someone else AC was legitimately providing with free travel for some reason or another, and AC probably knows who had access to that code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.