Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

100% Air Canada Voucher - DEAD looking for info

100% Air Canada Voucher - DEAD looking for info

Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
I wonder why that is? Could it be that the discount doesnít work anymore or people are noticing AC is cancelling their flights? Maybe. But then why not update the post to indicate that? Another possibility is that the author is now in over their heads and realize that AC will come after them and itís better to mitigate the damage they caused now versus riding it out to its conclusion. I am not a lawyer, but I suspect Air Canada will be able to subpoena Reddit to find out who posted the message. Additionally, I suspect they could also ask Reddit to provide the original post and all comments since typically most firms retain data even if it is deleted to the general public.
If they can just cancel all the bookings then it seems like they can't *also* claim the leak caused them any damage. They can't have their cake and eat it too. They may want to track down the leak because they want to stop working with that supplier but they presumably already know which supplier it was just from which promo code is was.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88

I wonder why that is? Could it be that the discount doesnít work anymore or people are noticing AC is cancelling their flights? Maybe. But then why not update the post to indicate that? Another possibility is that the author is now in over their heads and realize that AC will come after them and itís better to mitigate the damage they caused now versus riding it out to its conclusion. I am not a lawyer, but I suspect Air Canada will be able to subpoena Reddit to find out who posted the message. Additionally, I suspect they could also ask Reddit to provide the original post and all comments since typically most firms retain data even if it is deleted to the general public.

But itís like I always say, AC drama is the best drama out there, particularly when AC Security is involved. Folks, get out your hotdogs, popcorn, crackerjack and extra large Coke this oneís gonna be a doozy!

-RooFlyer88
Sheesh, you are reaching hard here. AC wouldn't subpoena a random post for sharing the promo code when the person is likely 10 times removed from the original source. I won't dox the user but I can see that they posted it just before the code expired.

I'm not saying that AC won't pursue any recourse, but the only person likely to get punished is the original leaker, who AC should be able to easily identify just based on the code. The rest of the flights booked will be probably just be canceled.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:24 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Concierge7145
Sheesh, you are reaching hard here. AC wouldn't subpoena a random post for sharing the promo code when the person is likely 10 times removed from the original source. I won't dox the user but I can see that they posted it just before the code expired.

I'm not saying that AC won't pursue any recourse, but the only person likely to get punished is the original leaker, who AC should be able to easily identify just based on the code. The rest of the flights booked will be probably just be canceled.
There may be more than one person who could have leaked the code. Could be the original recipient, could be the one generating the code, could be anyone who has access to the database, could be some random person who somehow peeked at other people's screen and found this code.

Unless there was some sort of unauthorized access, I hope AC focus on improving the system and process rather than punishing any specific person, and this is what I would do if something similar happens in my company/team.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:29 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by zkzkz
If they can just cancel all the bookings then it seems like they can't *also* claim the leak caused them any damage. They can't have their cake and eat it too. They may want to track down the leak because they want to stop working with that supplier but they presumably already know which supplier it was just from which promo code is was.
It seems unlikely that AC will be able to catch them all. Particularly when we are talking about people who booked their tickets close-in when this saga was happening. One wonders too what happens to passengers who go after Air Canada for cancelling their tickets. Yes, they certainly have the defence that this promo code was not destined for the public, but it was released to the public and it would seem Air Canada took no measures to prevent or at least warn passengers that this promo code wasn't for them. Even if 1% of affected passengers pursue Air Canada in court it will result in legal costs for the airline, and that's supposing judges won't be sympathetic to passengers and rule in their favour. Additionally, Air Canada had to dedicate resources to have agents reach out to affect passengers to tell them of this issue and possibly to manually cancel out their reservations. Air Canada has spent more than $0 dealing with the issue, so certainly there is damages caused by this party.

-RooFlyer88
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Supplier?

I know how these codes work, and I know how to get the code if you share a booking it's been used on. It's not easy... I'd have to involve someone else... but it can definitely be done.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
If they can just cancel all the bookings then it seems like they can't *also* claim the leak caused them any damage.
There is at least one poster here who was able to use the code to fly (and who knows how many others). In addition there was almost certainly thousands of dollars of costs to AC to understand what was happening, cancel the code, cancel peoples' tickets and that's not including the ill will generated by cancelling tickets, etc. There definitely were damages.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Supplier?
If the code was supposed to be used by a mystery shopper, that mystery shopper most likely was a third party contractor - i.e. a supplier. If i was AC and the "leak" could be traced to a contractor, I would absolutely be having at the least stern conversations with them.

Last edited by The Lev; Jan 3, 2024 at 6:49 am
Old Jan 2, 2024, 9:05 pm

Just thinking out aloud, I can't imagine this code being used for a focus group or mystery shopper program. I'd expect Air Canada to issue one-off codes for 100% of the cost, not unlimited codes for ~95%. Naw, I think a focus group or mystery shopper would be issued a corporate card number by the vendor (or pay themselves and get reimbursed) so that nobody involved could think they should get above-average treatment.

I'm thinking it's more of an individualized exec (or retired exec) benefit code that might be permitted unlimited travel and only has to cover taxes (either because passengers must pay some for some places and it's easier this way, or just their way of making you commit some small dollars to it). Or an internal staff movement code (to be used internally only) where they make you pay for it up-front and reimburse manually where the accounting dept can input-credit HST and maybe other taxes properly. Or an internal-use only code for the a team to book "influencer"/vendor/supplier tickets done with the accounting for the difference for said reasons but ultimately all paid by AC. That's all I can think of for having near-infinite money glitch codes where it's not worth hassling people with individualized code requests.

If AC doesn't individualize these codes for specific passengers to use and re-use (and instead issued them to authorized employees to use for bookings), it must be a big mess figuring out the legit uses.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Lev

If the code was supposed ot be used by a mystery shopper, tat mystery shopper most likely was a third party contractor - i.e. a supplier. If i was AC and the "leak" could be traced to a contractor, I would absolutely be having at the least stern conversations with them.
I don't know who it was meant for, but I would not assume it was a mystery shopper based on the zero evidence we've seen.

This was a very old booking, but for reference, it booked into C class. There are many many many uses for these codes. They are not as rare as you think. And I was never told not share this code. I wouldn't have. And I have no idea if it was valid for multiple bookings. I wouldn't have tried. Nor do I know what routes it was valid for.

Old Jan 2, 2024, 9:42 pm

Sorry, but labor hours to identify, cancel and refund these tickets and investigate such actions are a cost...... Additionally, the credit card transaction fees (to initially process & refund) those airport taxes, may incur transactional charges.

There is definitely "monetary damages"
kangarooflyer88 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 9:46 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by tecate55
Just thinking out aloud, I can't imagine this code being used for a focus group or mystery shopper program. I'd expect Air Canada to issue one-off codes for 100% of the cost, not unlimited codes for ~95%.
What if it was used for some kind of production systems testing? If you want people to be able to test the entire experience of purchasing tickets in a variety of ways, you have to give them some way of doing so, on the real environment, without charging large amounts of money.

The need for a reusable discount code doesn't need to be any more complicated than that. And in that case, the code could've been leaked by a laid-off contractor or some other aggrieved person. Who knows....
Old Jan 2, 2024, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't know who it was meant for, but I would not assume it was a mystery shopper based on the zero evidence we've seen.

This was a very old booking, but for reference, it booked into C class. There are many many many uses for these codes. They are not as rare as you think. And I was never told not share this code. I wouldn't have. And I have no idea if it was valid for multiple bookings. I wouldn't have tried. Nor do I know what routes it was valid for.
FWIW the tickets this time booked into Q.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 9:57 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
One other point. Some have commented that this incident is no different then when airlines accidentally discount an airfare too much. I would argue there are a couple of things different in this instance. First, the customer booking the flight at the discounted price did nothing to cause the price to drop by that amount. Instead the airline priced the flight at what it now thinks is an unreasonable amount. Second, the error was made by an employee who (presumably) made an honest error. We are talking about something basic like forgetting to add a 0 at the end of a cell in a spreadsheet when updating a price. This is way different than knowingly possessing a code that is intended for one use and then posting it on forums and saying it is for another use.

Originally Posted by global happy traveller
Sorry, but labor hours to identify, cancel and refund these tickets and investigate such actions are a cost...... Additionally, the credit card transaction fees (to initially process & refund) those airport taxes, may incur transactional charges.

There is definitely "monetary damages"
And that's the tip of the ice berg too. I could be mistaken here but I doubt they could issue one query that shows them all itineraries attached to a given coupon code, especially if these codes can be used on multiple channels. Even if we assume a whiz-bang database engineer can hammer this out in an hour, well how much does a database engineer working for Air Canada gets paid? I suspect they don't work for free, and having a background in Computer Science, suspect it is much more than some assume, too! Add on top of this the fact that now hours of customer service worker's time will be wasted by customers calling up to find out why their ticket was cancelled and to try and (unsuccessfully) get it reinstated and it's clear that there will be some obvious monetary damage. I am not familiar with the laws in Canada, I don't know whether this is a crime but I would be surprised if knowingly and willfully causing monetary damage to a business by way of the use misrepresentation and the sharing of codes to be used in a fraudulent manner does not translate into some sort of Criminal Code offence. Certainly I suspect Air Canada could pursue the perpetrator in civil court to receive monetary reimbursement for the damages caused here. Also, I reckon if Canada is anything like Australia, people can be pursued for both criminal charges and civil damages. Meaning the perpetrator could face going to court twice: once to determine whether they are guilty of a crime, but secondly to determine whether there is any monetary liability.

The scary bit though, to quote former US Secretary of Defence, Donald Rumsfeld are the "unknown, unknowns," which are costs that not even the person perpetuating the alleged crime could foresee. For instance, what impact does undoing this damage have on AC operations, in particular revenue management? Remember these models look at how many tickets are sold to price new tickets. Well if the data is wrong (because of this fraud) it could have caused tickets to be priced higher than normal resulting in fewer seats sold at a given price point, and with customers who actually need to take those flights paying more out of pocket for the flight. Now the model will likely push the prices down lower to compensate for the updated demand figures meaning AC might be out some revenue now. Whether revenue management could quantify the damage caused by this incident remains to be seen but it is there. What about the impact on customer goodwill? I mean having to call customers and say, sorry you used a discount code that was not intended for your use is going to rub customers the wrong way. Some will vow to never fly Air Canada again. Others will share this negative experience with others. So what does Air Canada do here? They could either "buy" disgruntled customers back with e-coupons (which believe it or not cost them money) or wear the negative customer goodwill and resulting fewer bookings. Supposing Air Canada has a good security and forensics team, who knows what type of damages they could identify as a result of this whole fiasco.

Long story short, it must suck for whoever shared this code. They wanted 15 minutes of fame and could very well end up with years in prison, a whopping legal bill and civil damages to pay. Not the greatest start of the New Year I reckon.

-RooFlyer88

Last edited by kangarooflyer88; Jan 2, 2024 at 10:07 pm
Old Jan 3, 2024, 3:44 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
It appears that the cancellation emails were sent today, as I have a couple data points (not my email as I was planning to walk to Asia).

The actual text from the email reads

Subject: Important Notice Regarding Your Recent Booking

Booking Reference:
######
Hello NAME,

We noticed you recently attempted to purchase a flight on www.aircanada.com using an invalid form of payment. Please note your reservation number ##### has since been cancelled, as the promo code you used was not issued to you and is not permitted for use on more than one booking.

As your booking has been cancelled, we are initiating a refund to your original payment method. Please allow 7-10 business days for this process to be completed. Any taxes, fees, and charges will be returned to the original payment method.If you purchased travel insurance or carbon offsets for this booking, please contact the service provider directly for a refund of those charges.

To ensure that we get you on your way, we kindly ask that you reattempt your purchase on www.aircanada.com using another payment method, such as a credit card.

Thank you for choosing to fly with Air Canada.
Yes, there is a typo, lack of space after the period "method.If"
Old Jan 3, 2024, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
It appears that the cancellation emails were sent today, as I have a couple data points (not my email as I was planning to walk to Asia).

The actual text from the email reads

Yes, there is a typo, lack of space after the period "method.If"
This is the real cancellation email - got mine as well
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I take it you've never heard of Marc Tacchi.
Seems that person is back working as a pilot after a fine and some community service

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.