Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

100% Air Canada Voucher - DEAD looking for info

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100% Air Canada Voucher - DEAD looking for info

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Oh, come on. A legitimate CBC smear piece against Air Canada would also some angry quotes from Gabor Lukas.
Gabor is on speed dial from all mainstream media outlets. He’s the first call even before Omar and now Pablo.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:20 pm

Mine was cancelled as well, booked a flight for next week it was too good to be true.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Oh good lord..........and AC doesn't game the "overall" system.... ever?

In saying that, we all know when something is "too good to be true". I cannot remember off the top of my head, probably 12 years ago - but I found a $17.00/night rate in Thailand at a popular resort. I booked it and also immediately emailed the hotel to confirm. The difference here is they actually acknowledged the system mistake but guaranteed my room for a full week at the price. A little different with the cost of flights and the amount of people booking. I could pretty much guarantee the nobody else received that rate - it was all about timing for myself putting in dates etc., and the back end booking system. The hotel could have just as easily cancelled it - on this one, AC will.
Gee I wonder why
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
While we all know they read FT, you really don't think they have a way of tracking these things?
AC having a way of tracking these things is possible too.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:55 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by TheViperOne
Gabor is on speed dial from all mainstream media outlets. He’s the first call even before Omar and now Pablo.
In fairness having worked with Gabor he seems to be about as above the board they come arguing only what is permissible under law. I doubt he will have much sympathy for sketchy discount codes randomly obtained which provide a 100% discount on the fare. Keep in mind too that passengers have to enter the sketchy code to get the fare to adjust down. This is much different from the bait and switch airlines do when they price their flights at an attractive price, then realize too many people are interested in the offer and revoke the deal and charge far more.

Originally Posted by travelwidetravelfar
Got feb 1 2024 tickets. If they cancel, hope they cancel after Jan 15. If I'm reading air passenger protection terms correctly and since this is within their control, I would be entitled to the compensation
Air Passenger Protection, EU law and even Montreal Convention do not apply for industry insider tickets like the one you booked
tecate55 likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 1, 2024 at 7:42 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:36 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Zero ... umm ... 'sympathies' given.
warrens likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
In fairness having worked with Gabor he seems to be about as above the board they come arguing only what is permissible under law. I doubt he will have much sympathy for sketchy discount codes randomly obtained which provide a 100% discount on the fare. Keep in mind too that passengers have to enter the sketchy code to get the fare to adjust down. This is much different from the bait and switch airlines do when they price their flights at an attractive price, then realize too many people are interested in the offer and revoke the deal and charge far more.

Air Passenger Protection, EU law and even Montreal Convention do not apply for industry insider tickets like the one you booked
Not even relevant here, since the ticket itself was cancelled, not the flight. Tickets booked with fraudulent payment are not protected by anything. Otherwise you're also correct though - this wasn't gonna work for many, many reasons.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:12 pm

This story begs an important question: why hasn't Air Canada updated their online booking system so that when you enter these 100% off codes it is very clear that these codes are only intended to be used by authorized AC employees or partners and that any unauthorized use will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. This could be a pop up that appears after you enter the code, and perhaps the booking flow could be updated so that the border of the webpage has a red border with wording Air Canada Internal Use Only. Perhaps they would also have to tick a checkbox during booking agreeing that they are an authorized AC employee or partner too. I think if people we warned that they would get prosecuted, they'd simply turn away from the great deal they saw on Reddit. I am not a lawyer, but I suspect giving opportunists this warning several times could be used as evidence that the passengers willfully defrauded the airline versus it being a discount code they spotted online. Perhaps this episode will force AC to consider this option.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Not even relevant here, since the ticket itself was cancelled, not the flight. Tickets booked with fraudulent payment are not protected by anything. Otherwise you're also correct though - this wasn't gonna work for many, many reasons.
You're absolutely right with regards to fraudulently issued tickets. I'm also pointing out that even if it was a legitimate ticket, the provisions of consumer protection don't apply to these industry insider tickets. That's the price you pay for getting 90% off a business class fare (i.e. ID90 fare).
tecate55 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This story begs an important question: why hasn't Air Canada updated their online booking system so that when you enter these 100% off codes it is very clear that these codes are only intended to be used by authorized AC employees or partners and that any unauthorized use will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. This could be a pop up that appears after you enter the code, and perhaps the booking flow could be updated so that the border of the webpage has a red border with wording Air Canada Internal Use Only. Perhaps they would also have to tick a checkbox during booking agreeing that they are an authorized AC employee or partner too. I think if people we warned that they would get prosecuted, they'd simply turn away from the great deal they saw on Reddit. I am not a lawyer, but I suspect giving opportunists this warning several times could be used as evidence that the passengers willfully defrauded the airline versus it being a discount code they spotted online. Perhaps this episode will force AC to consider this option.
Because these codes are regularly given out to people who would not consider themselves to be an "authorized AC employee or partner".
Porch likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Because these codes are regularly given out to people who would not consider themselves to be an "authorized AC employee or partner".
Yes but those people are on Reddit and are not the intended audience of these codes. I would presume that Mystery Shoppers would be considered an authorized partner, along with AC employees that presumably have similar discount codes. Which begs the question, who would be neither an authorized AC employee or authorized AC partner that would qualify to use these codes? In any event, surely AC could afford to put some warnings in there for good measure to make it clear this isn't designed for general consumption.

-RooFlyer88
Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes but those people are on Reddit and are not the intended audience of these codes. I would presume that Mystery Shoppers would be considered an authorized partner, along with AC employees that presumably have similar discount codes. Which begs the question, who would be neither an authorized AC employee or authorized AC partner that would qualify to use these codes? In any event, surely AC could afford to put some warnings in there for good measure to make it clear this isn't designed for general consumption.

-RooFlyer88
Oh I'm 100% sure the person who shared these codes knew fully well these weren't designed for general consumption.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:48 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Notice: Reservation Cancelled

Dear Customer,

Please be advised that your reservation number XXXXXX for travel in XXXXXXXX 2024, has been cancelled as the form of payment you used for the fare is not valid.
Indeed, you used without right a rebate code that was not issued to you and was not permitted to be used for more than one booking.

The taxes and fees paid using your credit card will be refunded using the same payment method.

Air Canada Support Desk
Customer Contact Centres
This seems to be the only person who got cancelled posted anywhere, and that same user made the following post quoted below (they seem sort of spiteful at the people who got the "deal") - so I strongly doubt this is an actual email received but likely an attempt by that user at trolling (Awkward and poorly constructed phrasing "Indeed, you used without right a rebate code", generic greeting, no reference to ticket number or actual itinerary in body, no reference to reservation in title, and I highly doubt AC would be explaining in as much detail why it was cancelled, and it's not a "rebate code"). I'm normally SkyTeam so I don't know for sure, but an email from "Air Canada Support Desk" doesn't sound right either lol... which is corroborated by the fact that searching the exact phrasing "Air Canada Support Desk" doesn't show anything on Google (it should if it was standard phrasing on their email signatures - which should also have more contact information).

Preemptively cancelling the ticket is the least of concerns.

The worst is if they serve you papers saying you participated in activity you were not entitled to and then freeze/cancel your account or ban you from travelling.
You've seen airlines doing this with skiplagging and more recently Aeroplan revising their legal terms multiple times reserving the right to terminate "misrepresented" accounts.
My money is on these tickets getting cancelled in the end, but intentionally spreading misinformation isn't cool.

Last edited by SoroSuub1; Jan 1, 2024 at 8:57 pm
Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

-RooFlyer88
Why do you think this is "mystery shopper" code?

As I said before, I'm aware of two other scenarios where 100% codes are issued, having been offered both, and flown one. I was neither a mystery shopper, an employee, or a partner.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Oh I'm 100% sure the person who shared these codes knew fully well these weren't designed for general consumption.
I have no doubt that the original person sharing this code knew that it was not designed for general consumption, but I thought I'd add some narrative about how I heard about it. One of my FOTSG friends texted me minutes past midnight EST: "There's a promotion on Air Canada with flights to Tokyo for only $100 round trip!" I have no doubt that they thought this was a legitimate surprise promotion. I also have no doubt that this would not stand if AC wanted to action on it but I'm just saying that considering how little they fly (rarely once a year), they definitely weren't thinking through the legitimacy of the deal.

Obviously I guess I'll never find out, but I was just curious to see how this had spread and how far it had gone before expiring.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by rccardeployed
Mine was cancelled as well, booked a flight for next week it was too good to be true.
Are you able to post your cancellation email?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.