Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

100% Air Canada Voucher - DEAD looking for info

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100% Air Canada Voucher - DEAD looking for info

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by travelwidetravelfar
Got feb 1 2024 tickets. If they cancel, hope they cancel after Jan 15. If I'm reading air passenger protection terms correctly and since this is within their control, I would be entitled to the compensation
Keep this thread updated in a month whether you're allowed to fly or not !
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:26 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by albundy9999
You are wrong, it is not fraud and theft by definition.

No worries at all, there is such thing as chargeback!
A lot of people with first-hand experience and insider's knowledge of how AC operates in such situations are warning you about the potential trouble that lies ahead for you. You can continue to bury your head in the sand or if you are smart you can proactively deal with the fraud that you perpetrated so it doesn't become more of a headache for you down the road. Judging by your 3 posts on FT, I put my money on the former. So good luck.

Last edited by Far Siren; Jan 1, 2024 at 3:34 pm
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:37 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by newfbc
If AC wanted to be really evil they would set these up to cancel just over 24 hours before flight time. Just before check in.

Ron.
That would be merciful. They can just deny boarding during check-in at the airport or at the gate.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Far Siren
A lot of people with first-hand experience and insider's knowledge of how AC operates in such situations are warning you about the potential trouble that lies ahead for you. You can continue to bury your head in the sand or if you are smart you can proactively deal with the fraud that you perpetrated so it doesn't become more of a headache for you down the road. Judging by your 3 posts on FT, I put my money on the former. So good luck.
There will be a few who will be *lucky* to enough to slip through the cracks as long as they are not too greedy. Judging people’s number of posts on FT pathetically doesn’t guarantee you a winner either.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 4:57 pm

Response from AC

Notice: Reservation Cancelled

Dear Customer,

Please be advised that your reservation number XXXXXX for travel in XXXXXXXX 2024, has been cancelled as the form of payment you used for the fare is not valid.
Indeed, you used without right a rebate code that was not issued to you and was not permitted to be used for more than one booking.

The taxes and fees paid using your credit card will be refunded using the same payment method.

Air Canada Support Desk
Customer Contact Centres
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That was unexpected

I'm waiting for the posts about invoices for those who actually took the flights.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by global happy traveller

Dear Customer,

Please be advised that your reservation number XXXXXX for travel in XXXXXXXX 2024, has been cancelled as the form of payment you used for the fare is not valid.
Indeed, you used without right a rebate code that was not issued to you and was not permitted to be used for more than one booking.

The taxes and fees paid using your credit card will be refunded using the same payment method.

Air Canada Support Desk
Customer Contact Centres
this may be because AC was alerted after OP posted about the code in this thread
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
this may be because AC was alerted after OP posted about the code in this thread
While we all know they read FT, you really don't think they have a way of tracking these things?
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:22 pm

Programs: AC 50K
This thread is quite the read. A bunch of internet randos with no post history arguing that they know more about how AC operates than FT veterans, most of whom have spent thousands of hours working with and flying with AC.

I hope common sense prevails.
arf04 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:23 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

Dear Customer,

Sounds about right.

As the cow said, you don't think they have some other way? Or they didn't see it on Reddit, or on Facebook, or somewhere else it was posted?

Promo codes usually don't allow travel beyond the expiry date. The fact this was killed before it was on FT suggests AC figured this out and disabled the code long before it was posted here.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by albundy9999
Too late for that. Tickets were booked last night and flew this morning.
No way this poster actually flew on this fare today.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

Dear Customer,

Air Canada Support Desk
Customer Contact Centres
I am shocked, SHOCKED I say.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That was unexpected

I'm waiting for the posts about invoices for those who actually took the flights.
Curious too if AC pursues it for fraud. Might not be worth the headache, but will depend on how many people ACTUALLY booked and flew within 24 hours. Probably not many - and those that did likely didn't get back yet.

I give those odds a solid 0.00000000001% chance of that being the reason. AC clearly knows which bookings were made with which codes, and a sudden spike in different users using 100% discount coupons that were not meant for the general public is obviously going to show up.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC Elite
More importantly….

How do you get on ACs legitimate list of mystery shoppers?
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc
AC has been coming down hard on people 'gaming the system' lately. Use of this code to book a $0 ticket is borderline fraud. This is going to be interesting.

Ron.
Oh good lord..........and AC doesn't game the "overall" system.... ever?

In saying that, we all know when something is "too good to be true". I cannot remember off the top of my head, probably 12 years ago - but I found a $17.00/night rate in Thailand at a popular resort. I booked it and also immediately emailed the hotel to confirm. The difference here is they actually acknowledged the system mistake but guaranteed my room for a full week at the price. A little different with the cost of flights and the amount of people booking. I could pretty much guarantee the nobody else received that rate - it was all about timing for myself putting in dates etc., and the back end booking system. The hotel could have just as easily cancelled it - on this one, AC will.
hoipolloi likes this.

Last edited by Bravada04; Jan 1, 2024 at 6:08 pm
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
How do you get on ACs legitimate list of mystery shoppers?
It's like Fight Club
Bohemian1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.