Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

100% Air Canada Voucher - DEAD looking for info

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100% Air Canada Voucher - DEAD looking for info

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Good luck with that.

At some point "reasonableness" comes into the equation and using a code that looks too good to be true and expecting no consequences is simply not reasonable.
Fair. Same thing could be said about the Airline's ability to catch this quick enough. If they're going to cancel, they have 2 weeks for them to cancel this flight. Its not like I booked something within the 14 days hoping for the compensation. They literally would have 14 days to catch this and cancel the ticket before we get to the 14 days or less Air Passenger Protection clause
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by travelwidetravelfar
> No you wouldn't.

Why wouldn't you? It'll be within the 14 days or less window — and the Air Passenger Protection policy wouldn't care if this was with a coupon or not. For cancelled flights like this, you're entitled to the compensation.
Most compensation rules apply to valid tickets. AC will, successfully, argue this wasn't a valid ticket, so no compensation will apply. Happens all the time, just look at the history of error fares. This one even more so, because if a ticket was purchased using a code you weren't entitled to use, it's definitely not a valid ticket.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
> No you wouldn't.

Why wouldn't you? It'll be within the 14 days or less window — and the Air Passenger Protection policy wouldn't care if this was with a coupon or not. For cancelled flights like this, you're entitled to the compensation.
AC will tell you that you didn't have a valid reservation and they cancelled it just like any other fraudulently obtained ticket. If CTA has any sense, they will reject your claim when it eventually gets to them.

I don't even think their "automated tool" is smart enough to catch instances of this. Back last year, there were a bunch of flights being cancelled from New York. I booked another flight instantly after finding out my return flight was cancelled and that flight got cancelled. Ended up submitting a compensation request and ended up getting $1000 back.
This would be your ticket being cancelled, not the flight.

AC is also likely to annotate the PNR with the reason it was cancelled, so an e-mail is unlikely to be successful.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc
AC has been coming down hard on people 'gaming the system' lately. Use of this code to book a $0 ticket is borderline fraud. This is going to be interesting.

Ron.
Potentially but a lot of people would just say "I thought it was a New Years Eve promo" and play dumb. Given that the promo itself did not indicate it was a "special code" — no prompts or anything. Seems like this code was created for testing and maybe got leaked. Even better, whoever leaked it didn't report it (though unfortunately this thread is up)

Because it was New Years Eve and the code was first discovered at 3pm, a lot of people were in large groups (NYE). This probably means that there were 1000s of tickets issued since the code still worked at 11:30PM EST. I doubt AC will penalies everyone. They'll just mass cancel the tickets if anything. The support ticket volume itself would be insane
Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Potentially but a lot of people would just say "I thought it was a New Years Eve promo" and play dumb. Given that the promo itself did not indicate it was a "special code" — no prompts or anything. Seems like this code was created for testing and maybe got leaked. Even better, whoever leaked it didn't report it (though unfortunately this thread is up)

Because it was New Years Eve and the code was first discovered at 3pm, a lot of people were in large groups (NYE). This probably means that there were 1000s of tickets issued since the code still worked at 11:30PM EST. I doubt AC will penalies everyone. They'll just mass cancel the tickets if anything. The support ticket volume itself would be insane
A new year's promo that wasn't advertised anywhere except... where exactly? In a secret place that said "100% off Air Canada fare LEAKED CODE PSSSSHT SECRET"? Good luck with that. That argument VERY rarely works with error fares, and there's at least a reasonable assessment that it's a valid fare since it's published. This one, not even that is the case.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:19 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
A quick cancellation of the tickets by AC would also be the least of my worries. In addition to being potentially banned, I'd be more concerned about a cancellation closer to travel, after already making lots of other non-refundable bookings at the destination when a replacement ticket at the last minute would cost a fortune, or even having them cancel the ticket after having already flown 1 leg of the outbound and getting stranded somewhere.

No way would I ever book something like this that is obviously not legit.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
A quick cancellation of the tickets by AC would also be the least of my worries. In addition to being potentially banned, I'd be more concerned about a cancellation closer to travel, after already making lots of other non-refundable bookings at the destination when a replacement ticket at the last minute would cost a fortune, or even having them cancel the ticket after having already flown 1 leg of the outbound and getting stranded somewhere.

No way would I ever book something like this that is obviously not legit.
If AC wanted to be really evil they would set these up to cancel just over 24 hours before flight time. Just before check in.

Ron.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
A new year's promo that wasn't advertised anywhere except... where exactly? In a secret place that said "100% off Air Canada fare LEAKED CODE PSSSSHT SECRET"? Good luck with that. That argument VERY rarely works with error fares, and there's at least a reasonable assessment that it's a valid fare since it's published. This one, not even that is the case.
The code was very likely shared in private messages between friends and family so the majority of people probably booked with 0 context as to what the code was. Even this thread was posted at 12:19 AM, after the code already expired so there wasn't any public information about the code readily available.

Last edited by Concierge7145; Jan 1, 2024 at 1:04 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:44 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Potentially but a lot of people would just say "I thought it was a New Years Eve promo" and play dumb. ...

ignorantia juris non excusat
D582 and warrens like this.

Last edited by PLeblond; Jan 1, 2024 at 2:09 pm Reason: Removed bolding
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by albundy9999
Too late for that. Tickets were booked last night and flew this morning.
Expect a bill in the mail, and to be sent to collections if you fail to pay.

I've seen AC do that for much less fraudulent activity.

I've seen 100% codes from AC for 3 types of travel (I've been offered them for 2 types, used on 1 type). And there are probably more.

This is no different than "here's the corporate credit card, go book your flight for the meeting you're attending", and then you share the credit card with the world. It's fraud and theft.

An invoice is the least of your worries.
expert7700, arf04, YVR72 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:06 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Concierge7145
The code was very likely shared in private messages between friends and family so the majority of people probably booked with 0 context as to what the code was.
That hardly matters. On the face of it, a 100% discount code was clearly not legit.
canadiancow and Smiley90 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Expect a bill in the mail, and to be sent to collections if you fail to pay.

I've seen AC do that for much less fraudulent activity.

I've seen 100% codes from AC for 3 types of travel (I've been offered them for 2 types, used on 1 type). And there are probably more.

This is no different than "here's the corporate credit card, go book your flight for the meeting you're attending", and then you share the credit card with the world. It's fraud and theft.

An invoice is the least of your worries.
You are wrong, it is not fraud and theft by definition.

No worries at all, there is such thing as chargeback!
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No worries at all, there is such thing as chargeback!
Which you'll lose. benefits obtained through fraudulent means aren't something a credit card company is going to defend you about. Hope you've used up all your AP miles if you decide to go that route!
CanadaDH likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:56 pm

I take it you've never heard of Marc Tacchi.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC 25K
At least you're still within your 24 hour window to Cancel and get a full refund!!!
PLeblond and warrens like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.