Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Penalty for skipping last leg of award flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Penalty for skipping last leg of award flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by UA^PX
Nothing will happen in terms of "penalty". This is considered a NO SHOW. Every ticket has a no show policy which says: In event of no show, the remaining ticket will be considered forfeited. It's in most AC's ticket policy for Reward tickets.
Only one of the many rules that apply to a ticket is the "no show" policy. The other policy applicable here is hidden-city ticketing, much harder to prove and very unlikely to result in any consequences for anything less than repeated and obvious circumvention.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by billdokes
If it's the case I think you're referring to, that did not happen after 1 instance, but after many and in the end he was re-instated without consequence.
"Many" is not a word I'd use to describe "5".

And as one example of why stuff like this is risky, one of the cases involved him doing something like entering the MLL with a YYZ-YOW BP, plans changed, he cancelled that, then booked and flew YYZ-YUL. Another example was when he entered the MLL before midnight and flew after midnight (i.e. different calendar day).

So I've just explained 40% of the alleged cases, showing it was their tracking and data analysis that was bad. I think the other three had "merit" in the sense that he actually didn't fly, but then that gets into a discussion about what the rules are. And maybe intent.

This thread is about intentionally doing something that everyone agrees the tariff says you can't do.

AC has gone after people for things that:
1. aren't against any rules, and
2. didn't actually happen

Do you really want to risk being the person they decide to single out, where you'd need an expensive lawyer, and don't have the benefit of being able to say "that isn't against the rules" or "that didn't happen" ?

If you asked me today if AC would care if you bought a ticket, used the MLL, then cancelled the ticket, I'd probably still say "no". And that it's probably safe to do. But that doesn't mean nothing could possibly happen to you.
YOWgary likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
I am curious about this also on an award flight using aeroplan points to fly business class from CMN-DXB-DOH - first leg is Emirates, second leg is Fly Dubai. We would skip the DXB-DOH leg. There is a significant point difference and taxes/fees difference between just booking the nonstop CMN-DXB with miles on Emirates vs getting it through aeroplan with the added leg. I wasn't sure if there could be any added issues since they are different countries.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 11:34 pm

booked BOG-YUL-YVR and don't fly the last segment YUL-YVR, now I use Cowtools check it show "Open for use" so it means I can stand by YUL-YVR for next 1 year or ? booked PY and eupgrade to J
Old Jan 11, 2024, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by ecgz88
booked BOG-YUL-YVR and don't fly the last segment YUL-YVR, now I use Cowtools check it show "Open for use" so it means I can stand by YUL-YVR for next 1 year or ? booked PY and eupgrade to J
You PNR will most likely be marked as NO SHOW and you forfeit the ticket, unless you explicitly called reservation to cancel the PNR and make the ticket become an open ticket.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by JacFlyer
You PNR will most likely be marked as NO SHOW and you forfeit the ticket, unless you explicitly called reservation to cancel the PNR and make the ticket become an open ticket.
It's AP reward ticket, I can still called reservation to cancel the PNR?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by ecgz88
It's AP reward ticket, I can still called reservation to cancel the PNR?
I don't think Aeroplan does this "open ticket" thing. You can call them but they usually won't allow you to just cancel the PNR but keep the ticket.
Were you booked BOG-YUL-YVR as a connection or stopover? If it's booked as a connection, you would be in check-in status after getting off at YUL, and call center cannot touch a ticket in "checked-in" status.
If it's a stopover then you can simply call Aeroplan to move the date of that leg.

All in all what you are trying to do is unlikely feasible.

(On a side note I think the discussion is in the wrong thread. Edit: now it has been moved to the correct thread, thanks Adam!)
ecgz88 and kalderlake like this.

Last edited by JacFlyer; Jan 11, 2024 at 10:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.