Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Penalty for skipping last leg of award flight?

Old Oct 5, 2023, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Flying from Seoul to Toronto with a layover in NYC via aeroplan award ticket. Can I just get off NYC? I will only be bringing carryons so no worries about baggage.

Sorry if this question has been answered multiple times. I was unable to find the answer.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
You physically can. Possibly only US customs will shoot you if you try and leave the airport.

Will bad things happen to your program status? Maybe.

What concern is at the top of your mind?
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Not worried about customs as I am US citizen. More concerned about air Canada charging me for the full fare in dollar amount.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:11 pm

Try it and find out!
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I would be more concerned about your account being flagged for violating T&C and frozen. That will not be worth it for skipping a leg
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
There is no situation where any court anywhere will demand cash payment for violating their terms.

They might never allow you on Air Canada metal again.

I'm not sure what you expect to get on the bright web, asking what will happen when you knowingly violate the clear terms of a thing.

It isn't a thing that people with integrity do. Any one of a dozen people making minimum wage might ignore you, and anyone of a dozen algorithms trained by people in Ebolia might still get you shot by CBP.

The fraudulent option is a rocky one.
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:57 pm

What strange responses.

The more common response is that we can't make any guarantees but if you book it yourself and don't make a habit of it it doesn't seem likely anything will happen. Plans change, stuff happens. But if you do it repeatedly some airlines have started threatening to take some action. I think AC was even one of those airlines but I don't recall and I don't know if it went past a threatening letter. *and* I think it took a lot more than a single instance *and* it was revenue tickets iirc. I would guess it would be much less likely it would happen with an aeroplan ticket.

The really cheeky thing would be to then call up and ask for a refund of the US taxes
Old Oct 5, 2023, 11:15 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by cha12ge
Flying from Seoul to Toronto with a layover in NYC via aeroplan award ticket. Can I just get off NYC? I will only be bringing carryons so no worries about baggage.

Sorry if this question has been answered multiple times. I was unable to find the answer.
The answer is nobody can give you a definitive answer. That said, common sense says to me, do it once and nothing is going to happen. Make a habit of it and it might draw some attention, but what business is going to take harsh, arbitrary action without some sort of warning...do we really think they're going to have the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld call you and scream "NO FLIGHTS FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!"?

As one of the other posters noted, plans change, things happen...maybe you caught COVID on the flight to NYC and were too sick (or too responsible) to take the onward leg...any number of reasonable excuses and I don't think there's a large sample where people have reported been harshly punished for doing what you suggest. (well there is that kid on American that got flagged for skiplagging, but he TOLD them at check-in what he was doing so likely a few sandwiches short of a picnic there..)

IMHO airlines in general, and AC for sure, do lots of things that I think are un-ethical or exercise business practices that encourage this kind of behaviour, so I'm not really crying in my beer for them...might actually work out to their advantage if they oversold your flight and they can put a fresh revenue bum in that seat when you no-show...none of the 'we all must follow the rules and adhere to the T's&C's never seem to bring that little nugget out.

Please let us know how it goes!
AJNEDC, hoipolloi and cha12ge like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
This is an award ticket.

Did SEL-NYC-YYZ price out cheaper than SEL-NYC alone when booked? Does it now?

Even if the OP were not a U.S. citizen and checked a bag, that would not be an issue. He will be admitted to the U.S. when he passes through Immigration (as all connecting passengers in the U.S. must do), and he would have to claim any checked bag for Customs inspection. (AFAIK, neither EWR nor JFK is one of the few U.S. airports which offers international-to-international through-checking of baggage which avoids Customs inspection.)

I'm not competent to address what AC's policy is about skip-lagging on award tickets.
sadiqhassan, Cali Rob and cha12ge like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:22 am

Programs: NZ
If there was a stopover in NYC (I suspect there is not) then I would feel more comfortable about it. If there is no stopover then you should get the NYC/YYZ boarding pass in SEL, so effectivley you will no-show for the NYC/YYZ flight. What the consequences would be is anyone's guess, but the no-show may delay the departure of the flight much to the annoyance of the other passengers.
LETTERBOY and AJNEDC like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 1:05 am

I had to skip the final segment of a mini-rtw back in the day. Booked different routing, also on AP pts. I've been in jail waiting on death row ever since, thankfully AC catering always messes up so my last meal just never comes.

No, nothing happened. Not even a notification telling me I missed my flight. But as others have said, don't make a habit of it.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 1:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The "penalty" is going to depend on what they think your reason for doing this is[1]

They can easily look up all historical prices.

I once sat in an AC corporate office where I was told (with no guarantee or assurances) that I'd be fine to skip my first segment on an upcoming trip[2].

But it was also made very clear to me that if YYZ-TYO is $1000, NYC-YYZ-TYO is $500, and you try it, you're asking for trouble. Whereas if NYC-YYZ-TYO is $1200, they might not view it as you trying to breach the tariff to save money.

[1] And whether they catch you, and whether they have the resources at the time, etc., but your ACTUAL reason is irrelevant
[2] I ended up paying a change fee because I didn't want to play games
Old Oct 6, 2023, 1:50 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Ive done this (not in the US though). I got off the first flight, went to the service Desk and told them I was in the throes of wild stomach issues and didnt want to get on my next flight for fear of embarrassing myself and inconveniencing other pax. They told me to call when I felt better. Two days later I called and said I would drive home. Zero issues. Only time Ive ever skipped a leg.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 7:46 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by cha12ge

So you originally booked Seoul/Toronto because you knew it was cheaper than booking Seoul/NYC. No need to pretend there's any other reason. We can only guess what could happen. Won't know until you do. I say do it and live with whatever or no consequence. Let us know how it turns out.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
It is an Aeroplan ticket, I wouldn’t worry about it. Just make sure you cancel your checkin (in the app or website) after you arrive in NY so they’re not looking for you and don’t make a habit of it.

Unlikely, but also be prepared that you might end up rerouted to Toronto not through NYC in IROPs and not have that option.
rankourabu, tecate55 and cha12ge like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.