Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Short checking bags for transborder connection

Old Jan 23, 17, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Hi Folks,

Im flying transborder and connecting in YYZ tomorrow. I have a long layover and want to meet some family in the city and am concerned about my bags sitting in the connections area for 6+ hours. As such, I am planning on short checking my bags to YYZ and then rechecking when I return to the airport to pre-clear.

I remember some time ago that AC would object to checking bags to an intermediate destination vs the final destination. Has anyone done this recently? Does AC still fight you over wanting to do this?

Any help, as always, is much appreciated.
Old Jan 23, 17, 10:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K (*G), SPG*Plat50, United Silver, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Plat, Nexus/GE
Why does this sound like hidden city ticketing and not short checking bags at YYZ?

is it just me?
Old Jan 23, 17, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by CanRulez View Post
Why does this sound like hidden city ticketing and not short checking bags at YYZ?

is it just me?
Sure, might be, but that's none of my concern.

If it is, 1) AC will require a passport and US address where the OP is staying upon check-in and 2) OP will have a big problem if s/he can't get bags short checked since bags are through checked for TB departures at YYZ.

So yeah - someone might have a bad day tomorrow if things don't work out (if your hypothesis is true).
Old Jan 24, 17, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Well, worst case scenario is the bags sit in the holding area while I'm out and about....lost bags I guess...I was just hoping to avoid the hassle.

I'm certainly not above hidden city ticketing (or at least booking creative 12 month stopovers), but, not this time. Im on ac YEG-YYZ-ORD and then lh ORD-FRA-DEL.

AC defending against hidden city ticketing was exactly why I asked the question. I vaguely remember them refusing to short check for exactly that reason.
Old Jan 24, 17, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
It can certainly be done.

Just last week, I flew YYC-YYZ-LGA, and my wife joined me for the YYC-YYZ leg. We checked all the bags on my ticket (because I'm SEMM so I got 3 free), but two of them were short checked to YYZ where my wife took them home, and one flew on to LGA with me.

AC had no problem with it, because I was certainly flying to LGA (with one bag) ... but it proves that it can be done. Whether or not the checkin agent believes you (that you're not playing hidden city games) is a different question.
Old Jan 24, 17, 2:28 pm

Programs: TK *G
Also note that some agents don't seem to no about short checks. I had one before.
Old Jan 24, 17, 3:25 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by songsc View Post
Also note that some agents don't seem to no about short checks. I had one before.
It really depends where you are for what kind of Agent you get.

Going YVR - PHX I checked 3 bags and used Nexus. Entire check-in process and bag tagging took about 2 minutes at the SE counter.

Going PHX - YVR I checked 3 based and used Nexus. Entire check-in process and bag tagging took 32 minutes at the SE counter. - no one was in line in front of me.

My point (applies to short checking and all) it totally depends where you are for what kind of agent you are going to get. At YVR / YYZ / YUL priority counters - chances are very good you'll be fine! Other places..... who knows.
Old Jan 24, 17, 6:55 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
In my lifetime, I have probably asked to have bags short-checked about 10 times,
probably about 7 of those times were on AC. Only once out of those 10 times
was it a hidden-city issue, the others were all legitimate " needing the baggage in transit".
I have never been refused.

On several occasions I have also collected baggage when going through Canadian or USA
customs, and not re-checked them to final tagged destination.
Old Jan 25, 17, 2:43 am

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
Was blown away by the LX system recently. Did GVA-LHR-YOW and back. When I checked in with LX for the outbound, the system asked me where I'd like my bags to come out - LHR or YOW. Too. Freakin. Cool.

I've never had issues with this with AC. I've even asked for one bag to come out at the connection point and the others to be checked through, and it worked.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: