Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2023 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2023 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
I am not seeing them. What dates, for example? Thanks!
Oct to Dec.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
Oct to Dec.
The earliest flight they seem to sell is Oct 28. Thanks though.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 4:37 pm

Over the last couple years, when countries opened up airfares were quite high to take advantage of pent up demand.
As you see, there is little capacity at the moment and lots of demand.
Once supply and demand are more in equilibrium fares will come down.

How much spare capacity does AC have to add flights to China?
bambinomartino likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by tracon
Over the last couple years, when countries opened up airfares were quite high to take advantage of pent up demand.
As you see, there is little capacity at the moment and lots of demand.
Once supply and demand are more in equilibrium fares will come down.

How much spare capacity does AC have to add flights to China?
That last bit is what I was hoping our more knowledgeable members might be able to address.

On the demand side, there are reports that they'll be a backlog of passport applications out of China, as well as a corresponding issue with visas for foreign visitors. I don't think there's any clarity on whether they'll unsuspend visas issued before 2020, or on anything really from the Chinese yet.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC 50k
YYZ/HKG?

anyone have any insight on the old YYZ/HKG route?

I vaguely recall that the flight path was over arctic/russia so wondering if this route is currently impossible so I should maybe temper expectations and look for a YYZ-YVR-HKG instead?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
That last bit is what I was hoping our more knowledgeable members might be able to address.

On the demand side, there are reports that they'll be a backlog of passport applications out of China, as well as a corresponding issue with visas for foreign visitors. I don't think there's any clarity on whether they'll unsuspend visas issued before 2020, or on anything really from the Chinese yet.
Rumors say foreigners may need to apply for new visas to get in. So if you still have your Chinese passport you may find a nice window … or not …
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:37 am
koi

Just curious with China opening up, how long does it usually take for Air Canada to reintroduce the flight route? Could they start flying within months or does it take longer? I've seen airlines "introducing" flights for the latter half of the year, so just wondering even if China reopens, there's no way for AC to start flying before the summer.
bambinomartino likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by koi
Just curious with China opening up, how long does it usually take for Air Canada to reintroduce the flight route? Could they start flying within months or does it take longer? I've seen airlines "introducing" flights for the latter half of the year, so just wondering even if China reopens, there's no way for AC to start flying before the summer.
AC is currently flying to PVG 4x/week.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 6:01 pm
koi

Originally Posted by tracon
AC is currently flying to PVG 4x/week.
from Toronto? last time I checked there was no direct flight from YYZ?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by koi
from Toronto? last time I checked there was no direct flight from YYZ?
When did you last check? Including myself, I know eight people who have flown AC 27/28 since last May.
D582 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by moondog
When did you last check? Including myself, I know eight people who have flown AC 27/28 since last May.
Aren't they flying to ICN and then on to PVG? They don't want their pilots to overnight in China so they fly short return hops from Seoul to avoid that. That's why YVR and YYZ flights are to ICN first and then on to PVG. I think...
Old Jan 10, 2023, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Aren't they flying to ICN and then on to PVG? They don't want their pilots to overnight in China so they fly short return hops from Seoul to avoid that. That's why YVR and YYZ flights are to ICN first and then on to PVG. I think...
Yes. AA, AF, DL, and UA have also been doing the same drill for almost two years. From a passenger perspective, you can almost convince yourself that you're still flying during the ICN stops because nobody is allowed on or off the plane except for the crew change. In any event, all of these flights will eliminate the Korea ritual fairly soon.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
It still counts as a direct flight. Not sure if it is still a nonstop one if it is just technical stop.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 8:23 pm
koi

Originally Posted by moondog
Yes. AA, AF, DL, and UA have also been doing the same drill for almost two years. From a passenger perspective, you can almost convince yourself that you're still flying during the ICN stops because nobody is allowed on or off the plane except for the crew change. In any event, all of these flights will eliminate the Korea ritual fairly soon.
Wait, so the connection through icn isn't actually connection and they're just direct flight?
So if ICN route available now are considered direct, any additional flight will be net new? Looks like they have icn flight from toronto 2xweek. Flight prices are simply crazy for the summer, and was thinking this is due to unavailability of ac flights, but if you're saying flights are actually available through icn, then is this the best we have?? Or will AC increase flights as China reopens?

Last edited by koi; Jan 10, 2023 at 8:29 pm
Old Jan 10, 2023, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Changeup2000
It still counts as a direct flight. Not sure if it is still a nonstop one if it is just technical stop.
Originally Posted by koi
Wait, so the connection through icn isn't actually connection and they're just direct flight?
So if ICN route available now are considered direct, any additional flight will be net new? Flight prices are simply crazy for the summer, and was thinking this is due to unavailability of ac flights, but if you're saying flights are actually available through icn, then is this the best we have??
It's not a connection. You can't buy tickets to/from Korea on those flights. The planes simply stop there for about 75 minutes.

The existing frequencues will not be "net new" when they remove the ICN stop.

​​​​
​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.