Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2023 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2023 | 11:10 am
Original Poster
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
5 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

Moderator note: this thread has been supplanted by the 2024 version.

Please use this thread to discuss changes to AC’s schedule in 2023. This includes:
  • New or resumed routes
  • Cancelled or suspended routes
  • Changes in scheduled time of flights
  • Frequency changes, e.g. reduction in service
  • Equipment changes, e.g. scheduled upgauge from narrowbody to widebody

If you have a question about how your travel plans are impacted by an AC schedule change and what your options are, there is a different thread for that.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 1, 2024 at 9:41 am Reason: New year
Old Jan 5, 2023 | 2:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Super Elite
YOW -> Europe routes returning early 2024 on long-haul narrowbody (with pods!)

Had a chat with the Concierge agents at YOW today and learned a bit about the status of direct flights to Europe.

Pre-COVID, they had YOW->FRA and YOW->LHR, both of which are now gone. AC does intend to bring them back, but they're waiting for delivery of the A321neo, which will be late 2023 / early 2024, as that aircraft will now be servicing the YOW->Europe routes. They also might be switching from FRA to CDG.

Yes, they're going to do a long-haul narrowbody, and they're going to have lie-flat pods on it (unclear on what type of configuration that will be). A first for AC? I know Copa does something similar on their 737 MAX, but I've never actually flown in a narrowbody pod before.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023 | 2:22 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: AC 75K
I'll be shocked if they're in the AC fleet by early 2024, given when they originally ordered them deliveries were to start in 2024 but the certification timeline for the XLR has slipped since.

It'll be a 14J168Y configuration...likely a new seat, but details are still TBC.
Old Jan 5, 2023 | 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
A single conversation with a concierge is not trustworthy.
YYC009 and BML87 like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 5, 2023 at 2:44 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Jan 5, 2023 | 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
A single conversation with a concierge is not trustworthy.
Ah, except they showed me the email from corporate with these details
Old Jan 5, 2023 | 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JordanK
Ah, except they showed me the email from corporate with these details
If that's proof, then there's been an SFO MLL for 7 years
Flynn58 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023 | 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If that's proof, then there's been an SFO MLL for 7 years
Didn't say it was proof. Said it wasn't based on word of mouth from a single concierge.
Old Jan 5, 2023 | 3:04 pm
15 Years on Site

Yeah I thought 2024 was the earliest they were supposed to see these. I'm kind of surprised they're willing to hold off that long before bringing back YOW-LHR and YOW-FRA. I guess they have other routes that are just more profitable.

I can't see them dropping FRA with all the *A connections unless there's something about how the JV works that makes it make sense. Like, maybe they would rather those customers be on LH through MUC anyways.

CDG is interesting because there's a fairly large and growing population in St-Jerome and north of there who would think nothing of spending an extra hour on the highway to go to an alternate airport and avoid dealing with city traffic or whatever else they don't like about the city. And last I heard Air France ran a bus to Ottawa and it's miserable, but there's obviously some demand for them to bother doing that.
Old Jan 5, 2023 | 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by zkzkz
Yeah I thought 2024 was the earliest they were supposed to see these. I'm kind of surprised they're willing to hold off that long before bringing back YOW-LHR and YOW-FRA. I guess they have other routes that are just more profitable.

I can't see them dropping FRA with all the *A connections unless there's something about how the JV works that makes it make sense. Like, maybe they would rather those customers be on LH through MUC anyways.

CDG is interesting because there's a fairly large and growing population in St-Jerome and north of there who would think nothing of spending an extra hour on the highway to go to an alternate airport and avoid dealing with city traffic or whatever else they don't like about the city. And last I heard Air France ran a bus to Ottawa and it's miserable, but there's obviously some demand for them to bother doing that.
The idea is that they would give YOW->FRA to LH and just do codeshare on that, while moving the AC flights to CDG (so no competition between AC and LH for YOW->FRA).
StuMcIlwain likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023 | 3:15 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

It makes sense. Right now they really don't have the right aircraft to fly transatlantic routes from YOW outside of the summer months (the A330s are too large, the 788s are also too large and really designed for longer distances, and there's demand for a proper J cabin so thankfully the 737MAX is out).

It's too bad that we'll have to go another 1+ years without transatlantic service.

I don't think LH has the right aircraft to make FRA work, either, but maybe they could as a seasonal route. They were going to give that route to LH pre-covid, so they must have thought about it.
Old Jan 5, 2023 | 3:16 pm
30 Countries Visited1M15 Years on Site

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zkzkz
From memory, I do believe that LH was supposed to be taking over YOW-FRA in 2020...
Cloud Lounger, yowstudent and msat like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023 | 3:28 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: LH Sen, FB Gold
Originally Posted by JordanK
Yes, they're going to do a long-haul narrowbody, and they're going to have lie-flat pods on it (unclear on what type of configuration that will be). A first for AC? I know Copa does something similar on their 737 MAX, but I've never actually flown in a narrowbody pod before.
JetBlue mint is likely a good indication of what to expect.
Old Jan 6, 2023 | 7:56 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Programs: AC SE, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LTG, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by msat
JetBlue mint is likely a good indication of what to expect.
Now if they only brought in the "Mint" service which is their enhanced F&B offering. AC could definitely step up their catering to what it was pre-COVID.
Old Jan 7, 2023 | 9:39 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I am curious as to why they dropped YYZ-DOH? It seemed like it should be a successful ME route alongside DXB.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...ds-doha-route/

By David Casey

Posted6 January 2023 16:56

Air Canada is ending scheduled flights to Qatar in early February after two years of operation.

The airline began passenger service between its Toronto Pearson (YYZ) hub and Doha’s Hamad International Airport (DOH) in December 2020, initially operating three times per week using Boeing 787-9 aircraft.

It also signed a codeshare agreement with oneworld member Qatar Airways in November 2020 ahead of the launch.

Frequencies increased to 4X-weekly in July 2021 and remained at that level until this week when the 10,898-km (5,884-nm) route was scaled back to three round trips per week.

However, flights will now be suspended indefinitely from early February 2023. In a short statement, the Star Alliance member said: “Air Canada has taken the decision to indefinitely suspend its Toronto to Doha service effective February 1, 2023, for commercial reasons.”

The suspension of the route will leave Dubai (DXB) and Tel Aviv (TLV) as the only two points in the Middle East to be served nonstop by Air Canada. OAG data shows that the carrier flies to both destinations six times per week at the present time.

A total of 49,422 passengers flew from Toronto to Doha during the 2021 calendar year, Sabre Market Intelligence figures reveal. Looking at the traffic mix, about 59% of passengers traveled to destinations beyond Doha, 33% was bridge traffic, 5.5% was point-to-point, and 2.5% of passengers flew to Doha from destinations behind Toronto.

The largest airport market beyond Doha was Iran’s capital Tehran, followed by Colombo in Sri Lanka and Dhaka in Bangladesh.
Old Jan 7, 2023 | 10:36 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Any idea if AC15/16 will return? I saw it came back for a few days in December 2022 then disappeared from the winter/summer/fall schedule all together for the rest of 2023!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.