Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
The original forum lounge thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge, that doesn't mean that the FT rules don't apply here (they definitely do), please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

For those interested, previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread,2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition, 2021 edition, and 2022 edition.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by canopus27
Put it on YouTube and post the link here?
I always knew you were the smart one!!

Heave Away: ​​​​​​​https://youtube.com/shorts/CvOeZ8b5ocw?feature=share
YULRvR and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 10:00 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
I always knew you were the smart one!!

Heave Away: ​​​​​​​https://youtube.com/shorts/CvOeZ8b5ocw?feature=share

Your link needs some work
, but thanks for sharing! Epic game for sure.
tcook052 and YULRvR like this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 10:03 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Your link needs some work here, but thanks for sharing! Epic game for sure.
I've now seen every video ever posted to YouTube by @Yhztraveller!
Old Jan 5, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I've now seen every video ever posted to YouTube by @Yhztraveller!
correction, you have seen every video posted to the Yhztraveller YouTube channel. I have posted others… 😀😀😀

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Your link needs some work here, but thanks for sharing! Epic game for sure.
Thanks for the IT assist!!!

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 5, 2023 at 8:45 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jan 5, 2023, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Nowadays I think most people go to blogs or google results vs. visiting FT and dig information (back in the old days without so many blogs)
Both have their uses

It's good to see FT (thanks to cowtool) still has its moments and is needed, ha
Replying here since it's getting meta.

Blogs rarely get into the nitty gritty details that FT does. Though I've been impressed with POT* more and more, such as https://princeoftravel.com/guides/ai...-ranking-work/, though they even cited the FT thread there.

But that's a perfect example of something really useful (upgrade priority) that really only exists on FT (or other places that got their information from FT).

I use blogs when I want to know basic things like "how do I book airline X in F with points" or "what's the best way to get points in program Y". FT is where I come when I want to know low-level details, or have an actual discussion.

*Technically I now have to add the disclaimer that I have contributed content
Old Jan 5, 2023, 4:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Blogs rarely get into the nitty gritty details that FT does.
This is a big reason why I joined the Reddit/FT communities, because it also lets me ask question and read the whole conversation if someone already asked the same question.

That nitty-gritty detail is really where the true value and redemptions are if you put effort into it, compared to a bloggers saying "Hey look at this example date I used to book a flight that obviously doesn't exist anymore because I took it before posting. Because I found it (without delving into details of how they found it), you can too and fly around the world in F for cheap". This is also what floods the reddit communities with low effort posts/searches because they read a blog that showed availability, then attempt to search the exact same one (not understanding that there's very few seats available per flight, if any in J/F) and constantly ask what they are doing wrong.
canadiancow, Bohemian1 and YOWgary like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
correction, you have seen every video posted to the Yhztraveller YouTube channel. I have posted others… 😀😀😀
I'm hoping that @YhztravellerTV will soon have a video of that winning goal!
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:34 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
With the crowd singing too
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
With the crowd singing too
We need a South African!
Old Jan 5, 2023, 11:21 pm

Well, we might be about to run the experiment this weekend
Wait... @canopus27, are we doing a Do this weekend?
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:51 am

sadly I watched the game from home, so no video…
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Wait... @canopus27, are we doing a Do this weekend?
Not that I'm aware of

The "We" I mentioned was Mrs Canopus & I ... so we are travelling. However, the cow laid out some rules for those attending last month's YYZ do, and one of them was "must like talking about planes & flying". Based on that rule, I'm pretty confident that (with Mrs Canopus traveling with me) this will not count as a do

That said ... wasn't there discussion of an SFO or YVR possible do in February? I'm interested if something like that bubbled up ...
Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:07 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
However, the cow laid out some rules for those attending last month's YYZ do, and one of them was "must like talking about planes & flying".
Wait - Dos now have actual content rules?

I guess this is what happens when I don't go to a Do - some fringe group decides to assert themselves in an attempt to modify the proceedings.

Lesson learned - endless discussions about cars, sports and alcohol it shall be. Oh, and sailing, if canopus27 is there.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Not that I'm aware of

The "We" I mentioned was Mrs Canopus & I ... so we are travelling. However, the cow laid out some rules for those attending last month's YYZ do, and one of them was "must like talking about planes & flying". Based on that rule, I'm pretty confident that (with Mrs Canopus traveling with me) this will not count as a do

That said ... wasn't there discussion of an SFO or YVR possible do in February? I'm interested if something like that bubbled up ...
I think what I said is "Don't bring anyone who's going to be annoyed that everyone is talking about flying/Aeroplan/etc."

That's not quite the asme thing as
"must like talking about planes & flying".
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:32 am

Programs: AC 50K
At the risk of accidentally hosting a DO again, I was handed a list of best desserts to try in YVR and the top of the list is a plate that’s meant to be shared…. Can’t say if I’ll be able to provide a chauffer service this time though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.