Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-9 (789) seating questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boeing 787-9 (789) seating questions

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2023, 12:09 am

Anyone know if the armrest near the window can be raised in row 18/31?
Old May 16, 2023, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by yensid84
Anyone know if the armrest near the window can be raised in row 18/31?
No, it can't. The seats are narrower than in the rest of the plane and the table is stored in the armrest.
Old May 16, 2023, 7:07 am

Hey folks,
Have a return trip coming up in July on the 789, this will be the first time on AC for a long haul (11+ hrs) and keen to hear opinions on the ideal seat. I am travelling with the wife, but not overly fussed if we're in close proximity.
Currently the seats are pretty empty so most are available still.
For reference, it's a day flight but due to our travel plans we will be looking to sleep for a good portion of it.
From what I've seen above, rows 1 & 8 tend to be favored for legroom and privacy
Old May 16, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: AP 50k, UA Silver, MB Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Caesium22
Hey folks,
Have a return trip coming up in July on the 789, this will be the first time on AC for a long haul (11+ hrs) and keen to hear opinions on the ideal seat. I am travelling with the wife, but not overly fussed if we're in close proximity.
For reference, it's a day flight but due to our travel plans we will be looking to sleep for a good portion of it.
From what I've seen above, rows 1 & 8 tend to be favored for legroom and privacy
1A/K + 2A/K, lighter sleeper on row 2 (bulkhead is right next to crew closet which can get loud every now and then).

A vs K is preference. Most people like sitting on the side without the sun directly facing them on the flight. Doesn't matter for night flights.
Old May 16, 2023, 9:20 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Hey folks,
when I flew on the 789 earlier this month the first row was busy because of passengers using the toilet up front. They don't let you stand in the galley and hence people were standing on the aisles near the first row.
Old May 16, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
No, it can't. The seats are narrower than in the rest of the plane and the table is stored in the armrest.
I flying LHR-YUL on Thursday, am booked in Y but hoping for at least PY on upgrade. At the moment I'm in 31C, but hip width is more important to me than legroom. Do you have a sense of how much narrower the Y exit row/bulkhead rows are? Are we talking a few millimetres or a cm or more? I wish AC would just give actual measurements.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Davvidd
when I flew on the 789 earlier this month the first row was busy because of passengers using the toilet up front. They don't let you stand in the galley and hence people were standing on the aisles near the first row.
Thats odd. I have often waited in the galley (as out of the way as possible) and seen many others do so as well. It must be crew-specific.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:16 pm

Hey folks,
Yes, many people like 1 & 8 for those reasons. But they can also be the nosiest due to proximity to galleys and closetsespecially if the crew just doesnt seen ti care about keeping noise down.

So honestly, youre kind of rolling the dice every time. It may well be a bit quieter in the middle of the cabin, but then you lose the benefits of 1 & 8. I can never quite make up my mind, so just kind of move myself around from flight to flight. As many times as Ive been in 787 J, I still cant pick a favorite.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:45 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Thats odd. I have often waited in the galley (as out of the way as possible) and seen many others do so as well. It must be crew-specific.
That maybe so as I normally do not fly the long haul on AC. But they were very specific on this and categorically told me and the pax in front to wait outside the galley in at the aisle. They only let one passenger go to the toilet and no one was allowed to wait in the galley. I actually apologized to the pax in 1A and 1D and they were very understanding.
Old May 16, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE, MB Gold, ALL Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Yes, many people like 1 & 8 for those reasons. But they can also be the nosiest due to proximity to galleys and closetsespecially if the crew just doesnt seen ti care about keeping noise down.

So honestly, youre kind of rolling the dice every time. It may well be a bit quieter in the middle of the cabin, but then you lose the benefits of 1 & 8. I can never quite make up my mind, so just kind of move myself around from flight to flight. As many times as Ive been in 787 J, I still cant pick a favorite.
Agree that it's hard to pick a favourite on the 787. Basically, NOT row 5 (due to lack of window) is only rule I can come up with
Old May 16, 2023, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Does that apply to all the armrests? Because in images earlier in this thread it appears the arm rest for 18k nearest the window does not have a tray and is like the other usual arm rests in economy. Same for the arm rest in between 18D and 18E. Thanks!
Old May 16, 2023, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcrooked
I flying LHR-YUL on Thursday, am booked in Y but hoping for at least PY on upgrade. At the moment I'm in 31C, but hip width is more important to me than legroom. Do you have a sense of how much narrower the Y exit row/bulkhead rows are? Are we talking a few millimetres or a cm or more? I wish AC would just give actual measurements.
Probably around an inch or so, but I've never measured. It's hard to define because you can use some of the space underneath the liftable armrests. If you are concerned about a centimeter, I'd pick another seat.

Originally Posted by yensid84
Does that apply to all the armrests? Because in images earlier in this thread it appears the arm rest for 18k nearest the window does not have a tray and is like the other usual arm rests in economy. Same for the arm rest in between 18D and 18E. Thanks!
All of the tables are in the armrests. The armrest closest to the window doesn't have a table, but I don't think you can lift it (I've never tried).
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcrooked
Like others, I dont have an exact measure, but I do find it noticeable. Youre going from 17 to something slightly lessprobably losing an inch or perhaps a bit less than that. I would still take it, though, because of the increased legroom. Though its narrower, youve got a bit more leeway to slouch in the seat.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 2:03 am

Thanks all,
Appreciate the responses and suggestions, I think since sleep is the main priority we will drop back a few rows from the galley/toilets as I'm guessing with it being a day flight people will be more active as well.
As a side note, how are AC with the dimming of shades/locking the windows on the 78? I know some airlines like to go full black out and lock them even on day flights which can be a pain!
Old May 30, 2023, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
"Row 1" doesn't have extra space. 1A and 1K have extra space.
In that case, as a couple flying together, if we wanted to be in the middle (which as noted, is not perfect), is there a preferred row? 1D/G appear to be a bit back from the galley - issues with noise or just better off going row 2? (and alternatively 7A/8A are open too).

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.