Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Lounge Access - physical locations and rules (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
This wiki will attempt to cover the ability to access various lounges operated by AC. Since many travellers are not familiar with the layout of Canadian airports, we will detail both physical access as well as rules.

Overview of lounges

AC has three types of lounges:
  • Maple Leaf Lounges (“MLLs”): essentially, regular lounges
  • Café: café-style lounge with limited access and grab-and-go
  • Signature Suites: essentially, only for long-haul international business class passengers
Additionally, AC shares an arrivals lounge with UA at LHR for eligible customers.

Locations & Physical Access

Lounges are in the following locations:

Notes:
  • YYZ Transborder: there are 2 MLLs, a full MLL right after US CBP and a second, small MLL near the regional gates
  • YYC Transborder: AC provides access to the Aspire lounge for status and J pax (no passes/credit cards)
  • YTZ Café: the Café at YTZ is an Aspire lounge (accessible via Priority Pass and other programs) co-branded by AC
  • EWR: the “MLL” is a co-branding of the United lounge in Terminal A; access rules are not entirely clear

Note that most of the Canadian airports used by AC have separate areas for domestic, transborder ("TB", i.e. to the US), and international flights. MLLs are often referred to based on which area of the terminal they’re in, e.g. “YYZ Dom” is the domestic lounge in YYZ, YUL Intl is the international lounge at YUL. Except when connecting from a domestic flight to a TB/international one, you can only use a lounge in the area from which your flight departs. For instance, a passenger flying from YYZ to LGA cannot use the YYZ Dom MLL as CATSA will not allow them to access the domestic wing; a passenger flying YXE-YYZ-LGA could use the YYZ Dom MLL as they will already be in the domestic area on arrival.

YYZ, YVR, and YUL have segregated international departures areas. The international MLLs cannot be accessed before domestic flights. In other locations, a "domestic" MLL can also be accessed before international flights.

Please note that while the US is a separate country, it is NOT an "international" destination in the way most Canadian airports and AC are set up. You can NEVER access the international lounges when departing on a flight to the US. (Passengers connecting in YVR between a domestic and US flight and following the connections path will enter the international departures area prior to the US area and although can physically access the international MLL, you will not be admitted and will be directed to the US area).

Lounges in transborder areas are after US customs pre-clearance, and can only be accessed by customers travelling to the US.

Access Rules

NEW Effective June 13, 2023
Access to Maple Leaf Lounges, Air Canada Cafés, and Signature Suites will be limited to three hours prior to scheduled departure time. Please note that this policy does not apply during flight connections or flight delays.

While it is not published at the time of writing this, the internal policy now exempts SEs and most passengers with reported disabilities (eg WCHR) from the three hour rule for Maple Leaf Lounges, but not the Signature Suite.

MLLs

Can be accessed for customers holding a SAME DAY DEPARTING boarding pass (for a flight operated by AC or another *A member) based on:
  • Status
    • Aeroplan 35K (domestic and transborder only; no guests; until June 1 2023 - no access on or after)
    • Aeroplan 50K and up (spouse/partner, dependent children, and one guest)
    • Star Alliance Gold (one guest)
    • VA Velocity Platinum or Gold (one guest)
    • Emirates SkyWards Platinum or Gold (one guest)
  • Class of service:
    • Business class (on AC or another *A carrier)
    • Premium rouge
  • Passes(passes may only be valid for certain locations, e.g. domestic/TB - Assume your pass is not valid for any International lounge)
    • Given out to those with AC status
    • Given out to certain credit card holders
    • Purchased directly from AC as an add-on to the flight, either in advance or at the lounge
  • Credit cards (no passes required, only for MLLs located within Canada and the US. No access to LHR, CDG, or FRA lounges):
    • TD VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • CIBC VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • Amex Aeroplan Reserve cards

Domestic MLLs in Canada, and MLLs in the USA, can also be accessed by those ARRIVING on an Air Canada mainline, rouge or Express flight, for those holding 50K status and higher.

Signature Suites

Signature Suites require both (a) an eligible fare and (b) an eligible destination. Your flight must be a flight operated by Air Canada that is departing internationally from Toronto or Vancouver. It doesn’t matter whether you bought the ticket through AC or if you’re on an AC codeshare, or if your itinerary has other international connections. Unless your flight is operated by Air Canada, and is advertised as Signature Class, and is departing internationally from Toronto or Vancouver, you’re not eligible. The only exception is Emirates First Class - see below.

Eligible fares:
  • Paid business class (originally booked in J, C, D, Z, or P classes)
  • Business Class (Flexible) Aeroplan tickets - note that only Air Canada can ticket Flexible reward tickets; the website may incorrectly display a partner reward as Flexible
  • First Class (Flexible) Aeroplan tickets when travelling on an Air Canada segment in Business Class
  • Emirates First Class (one guest)

Eligible destinations:
  • South America (Colombia and south)
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Australia and New Zealand

NOT accessible to:
  • Passengers in business class on any type of upgrades (eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, bid upgrades, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards)
  • Anyone booked in Business Class (Lowest) reward tickets
  • Anyone booked on a reward ticket through a partner airline, e.g. United MileagePlus, Miles & More, etc
  • Passengers flying internationally with Air Canada, but who are not departing on an international Air Canada flight from Toronto or Vancouver. Example, if you are arriving on an international flight, but connecting to a US or domestic flight - you will NOT have access to the suite.

Cafés

Can be accessed by those with a departing domestic boarding pass (no arrivals benefit for the Café) based on:
  • Status
    • Aeroplan 50K and up (spouse/partner, dependent children, and one guest)
    • Star Alliance Gold (one guest)
    • Emirates SkyWards Platinum or Gold (one guest)
  • Class of service:
    • Business class (there is no business class service from YTZ, but a business class boarding pass for the subsequent flight enables access)
    • Premium rouge
  • Credit cards:
    • TD VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • CIBC VIP (one guest through 31 December 2023)
    • Amex Aeroplan Reserve cards
Passengers arriving on a domestic flight with a connection to a US or international destination, although you can physically access the Café, you will not be admitted. eGates have been updated to enforce the access policy.

While it is not published, the internal policy exempts SEs from that requirement, so you should be admitted.

LHR Arrivals Lounge

AC shares an arrivals lounge with UA at LHR, accessible to the following customers upon exiting the baggage hall in Terminal 2:
  • Business Class (Including upgrades to J)
  • Aeroplan Super Elite (one guest) when arriving on an Air Canada flight.
Print Wikipost

AC Lounge Access - physical locations and rules (2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wjw
Just curious who you confirmed with and if you got that in writing? Feels like this is a classic YMMV situation depending who you ask.
Agreed. We have reports of it working. And I've certainly seen agents just wave people in, or make mistakes.

But if the baggage benefit doesn't stack with status, I don't see why the lounge access benefit would.
m.y likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:47 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Agreed. We have reports of it working. And I've certainly seen agents just wave people in, or make mistakes.

But if the baggage benefit doesn't stack with status, I don't see why the lounge access benefit would.
On TD Aeroplan visa website, it says "For greater certainty, a Primary Cardholder or Additional Cardholder who holds Aeroplan Elite™ Status, may additionally take advantage of the lounge access benefits available to them as part of the Aeroplan Elite Status program.", not exactly the most straightforward description but it sounds like one could bring 2 guest if they have both the card and status.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:37 pm

Programs: Mileage plus
Hey,

flying YOW-YYZ-BOG. Can I use the domestic MLL at YYZ T1 with a MLL complimentary pass for domestic lounges, even though I am then flying intl?

i used to do that but was denied entrance the other day.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Just to clarify, the domestic, transborder, and international "concourses" are segregated at YYZ (in this specific case, T1).
So once you clear security you'll make your way down the hall. At the end of the hall, before you go down the stairs, is the International MLL (and as per the others above, the "only" lounge you'll have access to based on your provided information). It is also arguably the "best" MLL at YYZ.
Small caveat: T1 Domestic and International gates are connected by a pathway. Flew ICN in Y last year, used D gates for TTP priority, and walked all the way back to E gates for the international MLL.

Since the YYZ T1 domestic MLL is accessed by elevator right after security, physically accessing it and entering, then transiting to international gates isn't an issue.

Though it's entirely possible they turn you away at the desk for having an international itinerary.

For a question of my own: reading TD's site (and AC's MLL site), it seems like premium CC holders can still bring a guest into MLLs free of charge as of today. Can someone confirm?
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by m.y
On TD Aeroplan visa website, it says "For greater certainty, a Primary Cardholder or Additional Cardholder who holds Aeroplan Elite™ Status, may additionally take advantage of the lounge access benefits available to them as part of the Aeroplan Elite Status program.", not exactly the most straightforward description but it sounds like one could bring 2 guest if they have both the card and status.
TD can say whatever they want. And there is a difference between interpreting "may" as "our card holder might be allowed additional access and we have done something to ensure that is the case, come at us if it goes poorly" and "you may try, either way, you are on your own".

Last edited by RangerNS; Mar 19, 2024 at 5:56 pm
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:04 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Unmaxdemax
flying YOW-YYZ-BOG. Can I use the domestic MLL at YYZ T1 with a MLL complimentary pass for domestic lounges, even though I am then flying intl?

i used to do that but was denied entrance the other day.
Historically, this was not a problem. AC has not announced any changes or changed any of its published policies. It's possible you just ran in to the wrong agent who decided to make up their own rules. Did it seem like they did some research before turning you away? Or were you perhaps turned away because the lounge was full and they weren't allowed any pass holders?
Old Mar 19, 2024, 7:51 pm
N8M

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, HHonors Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Historically, this was not a problem. AC has not announced any changes or changed any of its published policies. It's possible you just ran in to the wrong agent who decided to make up their own rules. Did it seem like they did some research before turning you away? Or were you perhaps turned away because the lounge was full and they weren't allowed any pass holders?
This exact thing happened to me on the Friday of President's Day weekend - we were flying to Washington and the gates wouldn't accept my boarding pass at the domestic YYZ MLL. Agent scanned it and told me I needed to go to the transborder lounge. No problem there.

Was in the international YYZ MLL on March Break while flying J and have to say, the lounge is getting very run down and shabby. Needs some love.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:15 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Plat
No access for Star Alliance Gold on J Ticket?

I was quite surprised to get told I couldn’t get access to the LHR MLL despite having a business class ticket and holding Star Alliance Gold status.

I booked directly with AC and the connecting flight is Eurowings. Never had a EW flight before but I trusted it would be part of Star Alliance if AC sold me this connecting flight.

LH Lounge also no dice 🥺

Arrivals Lounge no go as I am not „arriving“ but „connecting“. I am learning and walking a lot 🤣

Wish AC would warn about zero lounge access when selling these connections.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Mar 31, 2024 at 7:28 am Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:33 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bubbelbine
I was quite surprised to get told I couldn’t get access to the LHR MLL despite having a business class ticket and holding Star Alliance Gold status.

[...]

LH Lounge also no dice 🥺
LH, which owns Eurowings, won't let you into its own lounge, but you're surprised that AC won't?
I booked directly with AC and the connecting flight is Eurowings. Never had a EW flight before but I trusted it would be part of Star Alliance if AC sold me this connecting flight.

[...]

AC sells flights on many partners that aren't in *A, and the lounge access rules on the AC website are pretty clear about access. What more would you be looking for?
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:36 am

LH Lounge also no dice 🥺

Arrivals Lounge no go as I am not „arriving“ but „connecting“. I am learning and walking a lot 🤣

I agree this is very confusing and frustrating. The LH group "low cost" airlines are not *A members, so privileges are limited. It's also more confusing as you can earn SQM on these carriers.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If I buy a J fare on AC.com, I think it's pretty reasonable to expect MLL access.

People who book an EK ticket have access to AC lounges in YYZ. So it's not like the rule is "you must be on a *A airline". It's whatever AC decides.
StuMcIlwain and vancouver25k like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:33 pm

It's possible they would have let you in the UA/AC arrivals lounge, landside, had you been willing to go through a tad more immigration and back through security.

Last edited by RangerNS; Mar 31, 2024 at 7:39 pm
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:10 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Wigg
I agree this is very confusing and frustrating. The LH group "low cost" airlines are not *A members, so privileges are limited. It's also more confusing as you can earn SQM on these carriers.
LH Lounge also no dice 🥺
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
LH, which owns Eurowings, won't let you into its own lounge, but you're surprised that AC won't?
LH lounge should have provided access assuming it was not a BASIC fare on EW and assuming passenger had AC or or NH or UA *G.

LH admission rules state:
Passengers with a boarding pass for a flight with Air Dolomiti, Eurowings (not on the BASIC fare), or Discover Airlines will have access if they are Star Alliance Gold members of United Airlines or Air Canada. In addition, passengers with a boarding pass for a flight with Air Dolomiti or Eurowings (not on the BASIC fare) will have access if they are Star Alliance Gold members of All Nippon Airways.
I'm curious as to why LHR arrivals lounge would deny access. It only says it's for arriving passengers, doesn't distinguish it between connecting and terminating passengers.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888
:

I'm curious as to why LHR arrivals lounge would deny access. It only says it's for arriving passengers, doesn't distinguish it between connecting and terminating passengers.
The arrivals lounge is landside; I read things as the airside MLL denying access for someone "ending" a *A journey.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC E75K (*G) | Mariott Platinum | Hilton Gold | Nexus
In the terms of the Amex reserve cards it says:

For greater certainty, a Basic Cardmember or eligible Supplementary Cardmember who holds Aeroplan Elite Status, may additionally take advantage of the lounge access benefits available to them as part of the Aeroplan Elite Status program.
Am I correct in understanding that to mean I can guest two non-spouse/family members into a CAN/US MLL as a 75K. And if so would that also work on arrival or would arrival access be limited to the 1 guest from 75k and departure be 1 from 75K and 1 from the CC for a total of 2?

Thanks!

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 1, 2024 at 4:08 pm Reason: Fixed quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.