Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada revoked a worker's flying privileges after her daughter complained

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada revoked a worker's flying privileges after her daughter complained

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan-SE-2018-23
I can not agree more. I have a number of friends who are airline staff Nominee's for the flight programs. They understand it is a huge benefit and are extremely respectful of the perk. There is a lot of "I am entitled" people in our society who do not get the value of the benefit. I agree with the punishment, it is fair and reasonable - you lose the benefit. I would never wish the mother to be terminated because of the behavior of her child. That is a standard which nobody should be expected to endure - termination.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:50 pm

The woman, who asked not to be named, citing concerns for her mother's job...
This is absolutely my favorite part of this story, as if there aren't a dozen people at AC who know exactly who this employee is and are probably fuming even more that the daughter went back to the media to complain again.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If she was indeed mistreated (and not acted as dykwia) I don't understand why it makes a difference if she was on standby buddy pass or paid customer.

Stanby travel is a part of general comp and airlines offer that instead of paying higher salary - they benefit from such arrangement more that employee.

with a valid complaint this seems like a retaliation by ac (akin complaining about medical service paid by insurance leading to suspending coverage)..

I encountered plenty of employees who treat customers like dirt - that should not be acceptable regardless of whether the customers pay premium for tix buy some basic economy fare book award tix or travel on buddy pass..
D582, yulred and hoipolloi like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The problem is not the initial complaint itself. If the daughter had written a letter or asked her mother to complain directly to AC on her behalf, we wouldn't be discussing this. Instead the daughter's first action was to bring the media into this. And now that mother had been punished, daughter is continuing to make it worse by publicizing that.
trooper, D582 and gcashin like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
This is a case where you clearly should throw your presumably adult child under the bus, apologize profusely to your boss and ask them to permanently ban her from the privileges and try to move on.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by azepine00
If she was indeed mistreated (and not acted as dykwia) I don't understand why it makes a difference if she was on standby buddy pass or paid customer.

Stanby travel is a part of general comp and airlines offer that instead of paying higher salary - they benefit from such arrangement more that employee.

with a valid complaint this seems like a retaliation by ac (akin complaining about medical service paid by insurance leading to suspending coverage)..

I encountered plenty of employees who treat customers like dirt - that should not be acceptable regardless of whether the customers pay premium for tix buy some basic economy fare book award tix or travel on buddy pass..
The 40 year old "child" of the 62 year old administrator repeatedly represented herself as a paying customer, demanding compensation from multiple airline personnel including the CEO.

This is a violation of the terms the airline imposed on its free family tickets (as in, you will not seek to punish the company by seeking compensation for a freebie), not to mention dishonest and stupid.

When they realized she was on an employee comp ticket they refused to pay her what she was demanding.

Then went to the media.

Since we now know this is a full grown adult, I take it back. The employee shouldn't be fired.

Only making the loss of the privilege temporary was a grace the airline shouldn't have extended though. It ought to be permanent.

Last edited by Ghoulish; Aug 2, 2022 at 3:53 pm
Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:20 pm

Not sure why the employee
is being punished because of the behaviour of the daughter.

Whatever happened to individual agency?

Or do we now expect adults to take responsibility for other adults’ actions?

I think there’s a consensus that we shouldn’t throw parents into jail if their adult children commit crimes. It’s kind of the same principle.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC SE-MM
Originally Posted by yulred
is being punished because of the behavior of the daughter.
From what I can remember the employee is granted the pass travel privilege and the responsibility to make sure the pass travel policies are followed.
This makes no difference if the passes are granted to a Spouse, Parent or Child.
JBa, LETTERBOY, wrp96 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by YYC3722; Aug 2, 2022 at 6:30 pm
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I not surprised people posted without reading the article. I am not even going to bother posting the corrections.

well people want us to read the article they need to post links that actually go to the article not just some kind of headlines service where you can sign up to be spammed by emails. But ad someone who’s flown on non rev the rules are simple. Mouth shut and that apply to emails and everything else. You just put it up with it, they could treat you like total trash you better just put up with it

If you have a valid complaint you get your sponsor to address it. You don’t take on the airline and the media.

and why should the sponsor be punished because that’s in the terms and conditions. You’re responsible for the actions of the people you give your tickets to. It’s also what the unions agree to. And it’s clearly explain to the sponsor that they are to explain the rules of behavior compensation etc. to the ticket recipient. If you don’t do that that’s your fault. And you can be held liable for not doing it. At this point mom’s career is shot. I’m glad she’s 62 because she’ll have to retire soon. They Probably won’t fire, but she can be pretty much sure her career just deadened. Thanks sweetheart that was such a nice way to repay your mother
canadiancow and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

I think there’s a consensus that we shouldn’t throw parents into jail if their adult children commit crimes. It’s kind of the same principle.
It was the mother's choice to let her immature daughter use her privileges. Her personal choice. At that point, she assumed responsibility for what her daughter might do with that privilege.

If a father let his 12 year old son use his car and take it for a ride, and that son crashed it - the father is not blameless.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

Not even a little bit. Consider an idiot friend brings a drunk ....... to a party, I'm not letting either of them back in my house for a while. Guests of members of private clubs, golf clubs, etc, affect the members status. Be grateful or STFU.

As others have pointed out, its a gift. Is it even in the collective agreement? The conditions of the gift are clear.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Consider letting a random person into a MLL as a guest, and they misbehave and trash the lounge. I'm pretty sure AC would hold the guestor (host?) responsible. This isn't much different. If the guest wrote bad Google reviews and tried to extort compensation from AC to remove them, what would be reasonable?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
It was the mother's choice to let her immature daughter use her privileges. Her personal choice. At that point, she assumed responsibility for what her daughter might do with that privilege.

If a father let his 12 year old son use his car and take it for a ride, and that son crashed it - the father is not blameless.
Not really a valid comparison - unless the daughter was 12. If a father lets his 22 (not 12) year old son use his car, and the son crashes it… see where I’m going with this?
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Not really a valid comparison - unless the daughter was 12. If a father lets his 22 (not 12) year old son use his car, and the son crashes it… see where I’m going with this?
If the son crashes the dad's company car... I'd expect repercussions for the dad, yes. And insurance rate adjustments - also shouldered by the dad.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If it was a company car and your employment agreement required all drivers to be registered, and that the employee would be held responsible for all actions of the registered drivers...
Smiley90, nancypants and Kishiwada like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.