Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada revoked a worker's flying privileges after her daughter complained

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada revoked a worker's flying privileges after her daughter complained

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:07 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Putting aside this particular case I do find something kind of odd and off-putting about the "flight privileges are a privilege that the employer has complete control over and isn't part of your employment contract" thing. They're highly valuable and a big draw the airline is happy to use to recruit people. I understand the contract is negotiated with the union and the union has presumably made some calculated decision that they're better off picking battles elsewhere but the result sure feels weird from the outside.
I disagree. I think anytime a company extends a comp to their employees there needs to be a rule that you don’t use that comp to badmouth or disparage your own company. I can’t think of any other company that would stand for this. If you worked for a florist and one of the perks was that you got free bouquets of flowers, and you then got a bad bunch and complained to the media that your flowers were bad quality, I don’t think you’d keep getting that perk.

I said it above, but you don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. Full stop.
Adam1222, LETTERBOY and DrPete like this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Putting aside this particular case I do find something kind of odd and off-putting about the "flight privileges are a privilege that the employer has complete control over and isn't part of your employment contract" thing. They're highly valuable and a big draw the airline is happy to use to recruit people. I understand the contract is negotiated with the union and the union has presumably made some calculated decision that they're better off picking battles elsewhere but the result sure feels weird from the outside.
Oh, it's a game of motivation and punishment, for sure.

I don't know how (if at all) common general corporate bonuses are in Canada, but it seems like everyone in the USA is on some bonus structure. There really is nothing I can do as an individual to change the quarterly bottom line, so it doesn't motivate me to work harder, but it is motivation to get my timecards and expenses reports in on time.

More specifically on topic, "don't bad mouth the company in public" seems a pretty low bar; if AC has a carrot they can revoke if employees miss other marks, and usable before the union steps in and denies other actions, that would seem to be a very valuable tool for them.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by wjw
I disagree.
Not sure who you're disagreeing with but it isn't me.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:06 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Not sure who you're disagreeing with but it isn't me.
I was disagreeing that it was “kind of odd and off-putting” as you said.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Late to this thread but I assume the complainant is a 'social media influencer' or fancies herself as one ?
YULRvR likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by vernonc
Late to this thread but I assume the complainant is a 'social media influencer' or fancies herself as one ?
Well, she's certainly an idiot, so your logic follows....
YULRvR, Bravada04 and vancouver25k like this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Surely this is definitely the same woman, right? I’m sure the mother is just *thrilled* her daughters gone to the media again:

​​​​​​https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...lUZ?li=BBnb7Kz
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by TorTraveler
Surely this is definitely the same woman, right? I’m sure the mother is just *thrilled* her daughters gone to the media again:

​​​​​​https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...lUZ?li=BBnb7Kz
This isn't a new occurrence - it's the same one that was originally written about months ago.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
This isn't a new occurrence - it's the same one that was originally written about months ago.
You can always count on Business Insider reporting the most uptodate, pressing news.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:01 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TorTraveler
Surely this is definitely the same woman, right? I’m sure the mother is just *thrilled* her daughters gone to the media again
"She is now worried she will lose her job if the situation escalates", as she escalates the situation by going back to the media
canopus27 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.