Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada revoked a worker's flying privileges after her daughter complained

Old Aug 2, 22, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Sadly another reminder that common sense isn't common any more.

https://www.businessinsider.com/air-...plained-2022-7

A woman who complained about her treatment trying to board an Air Canada flight says the airline revoked her mother's employee flying privileges afterward.

The woman, who asked not to be named, citing concerns for her mother's job, told Insider she filed a complaint with the airline after what she deemed to be poor customer service by the gate staff. She had bought a ticket using flying privileges given to her by her mother.

The woman emailed senior officials at the airline and copied in media outlets, which appeared to prompt the airline to retaliate by revoking her flying privileges for two years.
Old Aug 2, 22, 9:10 am

Major DYKWIA move that backfired for the dummy daughter. Copied the media lol.

The union told her to apologize and beg for mercy. That's all you need to know that dummy daughter is a Karen.
Old Aug 2, 22, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium / Amex Aeroplan Reserve / Aeroplan 50k
I hate to pass quick judgement, but....... She sounds like an entitled brat to me. I feel bad for Mom, but she should've told her daughter the terms and if she didn't feel she could handle it, don't extend the privilege.
Old Aug 2, 22, 9:59 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Gold Elite
Not to mention that out of respect for your mother's job, what was done was done, now time to keep quiet.
Old Aug 2, 22, 9:59 am
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite
Pretty much the definition of looking a gift horse in the mouth.
Old Aug 2, 22, 10:21 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
I read this the other day, crazy that media outlets were copied in her email. You know its bad when even a union is not backing you up...
Old Aug 2, 22, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I wonder what the actual complaint was. 20 bucks say it was something very small and not worth even complaining about.
Old Aug 2, 22, 11:27 am

I'm surprised the daughter only got a two year ban of privileges - a lifetime ban would have been quite justified since the airline doesn't owe her anything.

I hope the daughter will eventually realize that she owes her mother an sincere apology, but based on this article I'm not sure that might be forthcoming.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 11:31 am

Programs: AC S100K
Flying privileges are truly one of the great perks of any job in any industry. It’s daft to complain about them when they give you so much for so minimal a cost—and when they are a privilege that can be revoked, not an irrevocable benefit of the job. Lesson learned, I hope…
Old Aug 2, 22, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, WS Gold
I don't think a temporary (two year) withdrawal of these privileges was unreasonable in the circumstances.

There were lots of ways the daughter could have addressed her concerns without immediately running to the media. Hopefully a valuable lesson learned by her - though probably not since she immediately ran to the media about the "ban".
Old Aug 2, 22, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, National , Nexus/GE
My dad was a 33 year AC employee. Flew as a con for the first 25 years of my life. The rules were pretty simple. its a privilege and not a right. Revenue passengers enable our benefits. You get on the plane dressed smartly, you sit down and you shut up. You decline offers and gifts, you do not requests seat changes, you enjoy the free flight and always, always remember that what you do or say, your behavior may and will affect the employee who is sponsoring you.

This was not rocket science and we respected and followed these rules as the cost of violating the rules were very high!
Old Aug 2, 22, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Misleading title. She got banned because of the social media postings, not because she complained to management.
jpezaris, Palal, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 2:28 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite
As to the employee receiving a ban as well as the daughter, I wonder if some of this could be technical? Im not sure how the internal process works for employee travel, but maybe it isnt possible to ban a specific nominee (for lack of a better term) and its either the employee has the benefit or they dont.
Old Aug 2, 22, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
And it then sounds as if someone (mother or daughter) doubled down and brought the story of the mother's suspended flying privileges to the media. If you've already gotten in trouble once, do you really think going to the press will make it any better?
JBa, YULRvR, Adam1222 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 22, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
And it then sounds as if someone (mother or daughter) doubled down and brought the story of the mother's suspended flying privileges to the media. If you've already gotten in trouble once, do you really think going to the press will make it any better?
Yep, daughter thinks she's a little activist. Like I said, a liability.

This daughter will take every opportunity to undermine the airline. Get rid of that employee.

Last edited by Ghoulish; Aug 2, 22 at 3:06 pm

Search this Thread