Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2023, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by zackzzz
Anyone had experience with equipment swap which resulted in less J seats?
AC743 today is swapped from 333 to a 787-8 which reduces the J seats from 32 to 20. I’ve already checked in but the check in seat map is still showing 333 map.
Looks like there’re 22 J booked for this flight so wondering what will happen for those 2 more J booked
Happened to me when A330 got swapped to 737 in December.

Eupgrade on Y fare, kicked back to middle seat Y along with a dozen others.

Because it was a Y fare, got to stay on top of the list and reclear first because of a no show, even ahead of some SEs.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
If you’re downgraded from an e-upgraded flight, you’re not eligible for compensation. You just get your e-ups back. The T&C’s for eupgrades are clear about this. It’s never guaranteed.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sp, 8785 today. Flight was there overnight. Crew is there. However there is a delayed flight to YUL at the gate and presumably AC is too cheap to get access to additional gates if needed. So we wait until the YUL flight eventually leaves.

To add insult to injury, it showed as having left the gate on aircanada.com and the app, and on flightaware, before we even started boarding. Arrival time shown is also way too optimistic by something like 30 minutes.

If they have started playing gaes with schedules as shown, then what?
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
DL cancelled 5 of its 11 flights from YYZ this afternoon (2x DTW, 2x JFK, 1x LGA), and of the 6 that went, 3 were >2 hours delayed, one of which was over 4 hours late. So yeah, clearly AC is the only airline that had difficulty with the weather
My picture is from 1pm
At that time snow was just starting to fall and other airlines were operating.

Clearly AC made a decision to cancel all US flights lest they not be able to return later in the afternoon when the snow came.

I don't know how bad it got becuase I did fly out at 3:30 even though by then it was snowing bad.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 4:19 am

Programs: AC SE
Sometimes when things happen slowly they are easy to miss. But I do want to point out that after a couple of years in which every flight seemed to change 3 or 4 times in the weeks and months leading up to it, it seems that the schedule has once again become far more stable and reliable. And that is something that makes the life of a traveler so much easier...
Stranger and vancouver25k like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:29 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Fun one today on AC 567 SFO-YVR.

Before I even went to SFO, I started getting emails telling me the flight was 20 minutes, etc. etc. until the flight was listed as 1:40 late. The reason noted in the first text I got: "... due to airport constraints from an earlier flight." Did some digging and saw that the inbound was effectively an originator from YVR, and that the plane had come in the previous night from KOA.

So, how does a plane that's been sitting on the ground for over 12 hours get delayed? Before everyone says "a safety issue", I have the answer. Or at least, what one of the pilots claimed was the answer.

According to a PA made by the Captain prior to taxi, there was a shortage of "tow crew" in YVR and their plane was the last one to be hauled to the gate that morning / afternoon. Dunno if that referred to the actual tug operators or the aircraft operator actually in the cockpit. Either way, he sounded moderately incredulous about what happened.

As an FYI, ExpertFlyer coded this as a "DELAY 04" code, which seems to be a bit of an omnibus internal code for AC, at least based on my historical tracking. For instance, this code also appeared when they had the notorious mass F1 deplaning in YUL a while back.
D582 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:22 pm

Programs: AC 75k
AC 8915 YYZ- ORD cx Feb 4 evening while enroute from YVR. Due to GROUND HANDLING constraints.
Rebooked instantly to 0740 next morning and provided food and hotel vouchers without asking, which is good.
Waking up 0030 PST to go to airport however not so much.
J still half empty in am even with our 2 extra.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
So, how does a plane that's been sitting on the ground for over 12 hours get delayed? Before everyone says "a safety issue", I have the answer. Or at least, what one of the pilots claimed was the answer.

According to a PA made by the Captain prior to taxi, there was a shortage of "tow crew" in YVR and their plane was the last one to be hauled to the gate that morning / afternoon. Dunno if that referred to the actual tug operators or the aircraft operator actually in the cockpit. Either way, he sounded moderately incredulous about what happened.
I'm surprised your pilot was incredulous about that, it happened to me pre-pandemic. Aircraft arrived 24 hours beforehand and was on the ground at YYZ. Gate announcement apologized for the delay, they were waiting for staff to tow the aircraft over to the gate. Crew, gate, everything else was ready to go. Oh, but then they found out the aircraft still needed to be catered before we could go...

To top it all off, AC said it was a weather delay (and made it APPR ineligible) since it was -20°C that morning, and warmed up to -10°C by the afternoon when the flight was supposed to depart.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
ROU1667 delayed 3 hours (and counting) today causing me to mis connect on AC648 tonight into YQM. Delay code 03 as per Expert Flyer. Does anyone know what these codes are? I’m sure it’ll be coded for “safety” so I don’t get compensated but wondering if anyone knows the codes?

Looks to me like a plane swap earlier today they brought in the 321 from YQB instead of wherever they usually get it.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by TheViperOne
ROU1667 delayed 3 hours (and counting) today causing me to mis connect on AC648 tonight into YQM. Delay code 03 as per Expert Flyer. Does anyone know what these codes are? I’m sure it’ll be coded for “safety” so I don’t get compensated but wondering if anyone knows the codes?

Looks to me like a plane swap earlier today they brought in the 321 from YQB instead of wherever they usually get it.
I've seen 03 used in the past for "DELAY NON-SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE" for AC. In other words, a safety issue.

I'm no expert, but it seems that Delay Codes 00-05 are used for AC's internal purposes. The only people who really understand these codes, and what they mean, are likely AC employees who would not be predisposed to tell us.

If only we knew people who worked at the airport who could be believed.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
According to a PA made by the Captain prior to taxi, there was a shortage of "tow crew" in YVR and their plane was the last one to be hauled to the gate that morning / afternoon.
I've had that reason recently in YVR. 1h20 is a fine human MCT intl-dom, but several hours between an Int'l arrival and the empty tow is not enough. I used to be happy seeing my inbound arrived hours beforehand, now it just gives them to lose track of it!
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
I've had that reason recently in YVR. 1h20 is a fine human MCT intl-dom, but several hours between an Int'l arrival and the empty tow is not enough. I used to be happy seeing my inbound arrived hours beforehand, now it just gives them to lose track of it!
Maybe we need to start up a valet service for them. Gas-up and wash as extra add-ons, of course.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 2:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I swear a minute ago 8697 to 127 was a viable flight. Now the delay of 8697 just made it barely illegal. Will try my luck at YYZ with a SDC or SBY.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
I swear a minute ago 8697 to 127 was a viable flight. Now the delay of 8697 just made it barely illegal. Will try my luck at YYZ with a SDC or SBY.
That connection is barely legal even if things go right. good luck.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
That connection is barely legal even if things go right. good luck.
Touched down and got off 8697 at about 7:25. Rushed to border control. ArriveCAN allowed me to beat everyone else at the kiosks. Got waved through border control, only to find I cannot request SDC or SBY using app now. Almost stopped by a security agent when I flashed my next BP (tomorrow), but she let me go to the domestic zone. Rushed to the gate. The standby and upgrade of 127 have already been processed and, surprisingly, lots of J space available. So got a J BP with no issue. Seated at my pod at 7:38pm.

13 minutes transborder to domestic connection at YYZ by myself, not sure if it is a record. But guess I can brag for a while

PS: and it appears 127 will go to deicing station so probably will be late, too …

Last edited by Changeup2000; Feb 6, 2023 at 5:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.