Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPs - Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. WITHIN 48 HOURS of departure (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2023, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Most of the cancelled flights on that departure board are to airports that have their own GDP or Ground Stop in place and YYZ's arrival rate is currently about half it's normal capacity.
RatherBeInYOW likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Sure, and in the last hour ORD has cancellations on SGF, RDU, RST, TVC, MSN, GRR, ALO, FWA, CID, HPN, AVP...

Are there hub airports where tiny regionals *aren't* first on the chopping block when slots get reduced due to weather IRROPS?

BTW, anyone who knows all those airports without having to look any up, should probably get some kind of special FT badge. I got just over half.
Point taken, but I'm not sure if I would qualify where AC flies in the US from YYZ as "tiny regionals".
Old Jan 25, 2023, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Most of the cancelled flights on that departure board are to airports that have their own GDP or Ground Stop in place and YYZ's arrival rate is currently about half it's normal capacity.
My little United ERJ came in, chugged along to the gate, turned around, got de-iced, and we are on our way now.

I find It hard to believe that the entire US is on GDP, rather than it was AC (smartly and proactively) cancelling all flights knowing there is no way they can run anything out of YYZ today.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Snowmaggedon is here
quite glad I am not sitting on

AC914 to FLL (taking off 3h50m after it left YYZ gate?)

or

AC741 to S'FO - a 737 max (taking off 2h50m after if left YYZ gate?)
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by expert7700
quite glad I am not sitting on

AC914 to FLL (taking off 3h50m after it left YYZ gate?)
Looks like it was cancelled eventually.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Point taken, but I'm not sure if I would qualify where AC flies in the US from YYZ as "tiny regionals".
I'm comfortable using "any route that consistently operates out of the airline's main hub on a CRJ" as a metric for this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YOWgary
I'm comfortable using "any route that consistently operates out of the airline's main hub on a CRJ" as a metric for this.
Just CRJs or also CRAs/CR9s?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
AC cancelled their DEN-YYZ flight that I was on today but somehow UA still was running their 2 nonstop daily's on a E75. Was a oversold flight for sure. Glad I got back at a reasonable hour compared to close to midnight
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:12 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rankourabu
My little United ERJ came in, chugged along to the gate, turned around, got de-iced, and we are on our way now.

I find It hard to believe that the entire US is on GDP, rather than it was AC (smartly and proactively) cancelling all flights knowing there is no way they can run anything out of YYZ today.
DL cancelled 5 of its 11 flights from YYZ this afternoon (2x DTW, 2x JFK, 1x LGA), and of the 6 that went, 3 were >2 hours delayed, one of which was over 4 hours late. So yeah, clearly AC is the only airline that had difficulty with the weather
ChrisA330, ffsim and canadiancow like this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:07 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
This is why I always laugh at AC trying to sell cheap fares from flyover cities in the US to Europe connecting in YYZ/YUL, especially in the winter. Those are the first to go when IRROPS hit.

Someone flying back today from say CDG connecting to Cleveland or Columbus ... good luck - the flight from CDG will land but you're probably going to be enjoying an airport hotel in Toronto for a couple of days.
I have learnt my lesson on this. Never do I now get the same day connection out of YYZ or YUL arriving on a night arrival from an International destination. I always book a hotel on my own expense for the night and book a flight the next morning. All the chaos on the 23rd of December the people who suffered most was the people who missed their flights out on the 23rd. The pax who booked on the 24th originally were able to fly on the 24th.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 6:17 am

Equipment swap

Anyone had experience with equipment swap which resulted in less J seats?
AC743 today is swapped from 333 to a 787-8 which reduces the J seats from 32 to 20. I’ve already checked in but the check in seat map is still showing 333 map.
Looks like there’re 22 J booked for this flight so wondering what will happen for those 2 more J booked
Old Jan 26, 2023, 6:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zackzzz;[url=tel:34958795
34958795]Anyone had experience with equipment swap which resulted in less J seats?
AC743 today is swapped from 333 to a 787-8 which reduces the J seats from 32 to 20. I’ve already checked in but the check in seat map is still showing 333 map.
Looks like there’re 22 J booked for this flight so wondering what will happen for those 2 more J booked
those lowest on the totem pole will be bumped down to PY, or Y if that’s not available.

anyone e-upgraded will be first to get knocked down, in the reverse order of if it was waitlisted. Then award bookings, and lastly, rev fares based on status level.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmill007
those lowest on the totem pole will be bumped down to PY, or Y if that’s not available.

anyone e-upgraded will be first to get knocked down, in the reverse order of if it was waitlisted. Then award bookings, and lastly, rev fares based on status level.
Happened to me once. Switch from 789 to 788. Apparently I was the only upgrade, latitude. They called me the evening before this morning flight. The person who called was not particularly nice, did not care about status and refused to consider the alternatives I suggssted. In the end, I rebooked myself for the next day and another airport, FCO instead of MXP.

The concierge at FCO was quite apologetic.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
Happened to me once. Switch from 789 to 788. Apparently I was the only upgrade, latitude. They called me the evening before this morning flight. The person who called was not particularly nice, did not care about status and refused to consider the alternatives I suggssted. In the end, I rebooked myself for the next day and another airport, FCO instead of MXP.

The concierge at FCO was quite apologetic.
Originally Posted by cmill007

thanks guys :’( I think I am the top of the list to be kicked out based on this heuristic.

I literally just got a message saying my seat and wife ticket seating has been changed, surprisingly we were moved to the Center seats but still J.

[edit] great now I'm downgraded to PE. I called in AC but the reservation says they cannot control the ticket since it's already transferred to airport control, and they said in case of actual downgrade I can send a complain to get compensation for it. Curious if anyone has been downgraded and got any sort of compensation from AC?

Last edited by zackzzz; Jan 26, 2023 at 9:34 am
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by zackzzz
[edit] great now I'm downgraded to PE. I called in AC but the reservation says they cannot control the ticket since it's already transferred to airport control, and they said in case of actual downgrade I can send a complain to get compensation for it. Curious if anyone has been downgraded and got any sort of compensation from AC?
I was downgraded from PE to Y before because of equipment swap. AC agent promised there would be compensation. However, I am not confident they would calculate it in a way beneficial to me. So I ended up euping myself back to J (basically the same as PE with a slightly wider seat).

If you are upgraded, I guess you only get some eups back. If you are paid, I would not leave it to hands of AC algorithm but will request to be put on another J instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.