Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Basic questions about redemptions in Aeroplan 2.0 (post-2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 24, 2023, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Flight reward policy: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-policy.html#/

FAQ

Q: Is it true that every Air Canada flight can now be booked with points?
A: Yes. Every seat that's available to purchase for cash should also be available to book with Aeroplan points. This does not apply when booking through a partner, e.g. United MileagePlus.

Q: How are reward tickets priced?
A: It depends. Tickets that are entirely on partners are priced based on a chart with fixed prices (except Emirates, which also has dynamic pricing). When flights operated by Air Canada are involved, pricing becomes dynamic. Sometimes prices are reasonable, and can even be below the low end indicated in the ranges in the chart. More often, prices are far above the high end of the chart.

Q: Are there change/cancellation fees?
A: It depends on what type of ticket you booked.
  • For Latitude, Premium Economy Flexible, Business Flexible, and First Flexible, there are no fees to change or cancel a ticket (a difference in fare, in points, may apply depending on the changes to make).
  • For other types of rewards, yes, there are fees to change or cancel (unless you're Super Elite).

Q: Can I use my points to book a flight for someone else?
A: Yes. You can book a ticket for anyone. To expand, you don't need to be on the booking, they don't need to be part of your Family Sharing pool, and they don't even need an Aeroplan account. So, anyone.

Q: Can I pool my points with family or friends?
A: Yes. See the thread on Aeroplan Family Sharing.

Q: I can't find availability on [partner X]. Why?
A: Airlines make a lot fewer seats available to their partners than to their own programs. It often requires booking far in advance or very close to the date of the flight to secure space, especially if you're trying to book in premium cabins. Sometimes there are also issues, either technical or other, that prevent Aeroplan from accessing space on certain partners. Consult this thread for information on current issues or if you'd like to complain about lack of partner space.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:27 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

Since we seem to be seeing more people returning to travel and having basic questions about how the new Aeroplan redemptions work, I'm going to create a new thread where we can accumulate some knowledge to make it easier to find.

A lot of knowledge is stored in the closed mega-thread on the 2020 program re-launch.

For those looking for information on booking complex tickets, stopovers, and other exotic stuff, there's a dedicated thread for that.

Hopefully some FTers will build out a wiki with a bit more of the key info, but probably the most important thing to note about the new program is that all redemptions involving AC are subject to dynamic pricing. That means every flight is available, but pricing can at times be ludicrously high compared to the old Fixed Mileage rewards, or the quoted price ranges from Aeroplan. If you're just here to vent about how high the pricing is, there's a thread for that too.
Hampton and TheCanuckian like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 7:29 pm

Hello all,

Have over 400,000 points saved prior to COVID and finally looking forward to plan my next trip.
I've read a LOT of threads over the years and in the last weeks especially, but I'm still VERY confused.
It looks like the supposedly +5,000 pts for a stopover is still very mythical, and a lot of other stuff is HUCA as well...

Burning question #1...
Searching YVR-KEF (3,544 miles) one-way in Y... chart shows 35k-60k on AC and 35k on partner airlines.
Indeed I'm seeing it's 60k for most routings I can search on Aeroplan.
But there are random 33k options sprinkled in... for example a specific YVR-YUL-KEF... or a specific YVR-YYC-YUL-KEF.
Just trying to understand the logic or reasoning here so I can understand and apply to my needs.

Burning question #2...
Is the 60% or whatever over GCMap direct distance still in play for the new Aeroplan?
I'm asking because YVR-SIN (7,967 miles) shows many more possible layovers than YVR-ICN (5,108 miles).
YVR-FRA-SIN on AC then SQ is showing for 50k... which also makes no sense according to the chart as 7,501-11,000 miles should be 50k-90k on AC but 60k on partner airlines.
YVR-LHR-SIN also on AC then SQ is showing for 55k...
I recall ZRH being available too when I searched a few days ago but cannot find it now - maybe I was wrong.

Basically I'm just trying to see what/how I should book my YVR-ICN for Aug/Sept.
I'll likely be staying in ICN for 4 months from Sept thru the end of the year, until I have more time to travel.
So potentially I would be booking something like YVR-ICN (stopover)-SIN or YVR-ICN (stopover)-KEF.
Just trying to see what is the best way to maximize my usage of points instead of booking YVR-ICN direct for ~45k and then booking another itinerary later.

I also see very limited YVR-SFO-NRT in ANA J in Sept for 55k. Is this limited because of availability or other factors? Would I be able to tack on a NRT-ICN leg by calling the call center?

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 28, 2022 at 10:08 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB
I hope you don't mind me sharing this thread as I did not want to create a new one. I left Aeroplan a while ago and now got the TD Aeroplan card to accumulate miles. I am trying to book from SIN to BKK and it shows me 30K plus $97 taxes. But when I move forward to make my booking it does not show me that anymore instead shows me what is popular instead, that others are paying 25,000 miles plus $500. What gives. Sorry have not used Aeroplan in ages. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I hope you don't mind me sharing this thread as I did not want to create a new one. I left Aeroplan a while ago and now got the TD Aeroplan card to accumulate miles. I am trying to book from SIN to BKK and it shows me 30K plus $97 taxes. But when I move forward to make my booking it does not show me that anymore instead shows me what is popular instead, that others are paying 25,000 miles plus $500. What gives. Sorry have not used Aeroplan in ages. Any help would be appreciated.
You can subsidize some of the points in cash, so really they are selling you extra points which adds into the cash portion
Business class seats on this route are routinely below CAD500 one way. 30K to cover $400 of the fare is pretty bad.
You can also get pseudo-business class on a Scoot 787 for ~CAD150 (seats are like AC narrowbody J)
Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
You can subsidize some of the points in cash, so really they are selling you extra points which adds into the cash portion
Business class seats on this route are routinely below CAD500 one way. 30K to cover $400 of the fare is pretty bad.
You can also get pseudo-business class on a Scoot 787 for ~CAD150 (seats are like AC narrowbody J)
Actually Business one way from SIN to BKK is S$895 while DPS to SIN is S$695. KLM is the cheapest in J at S$435 but it departs DPS at 8:35pm. Sorry I am talking about 2 different scenarios but I do need to book for both destinations. I may also get rid of the TD Aeroplan card if I have to top up cash to book instead of just using my miles.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Actually Business one way from SIN to BKK is S$895 while DPS to SIN is S$695. KLM is the cheapest in J at S$435 but it departs DPS at 8:35pm. Sorry I am talking about 2 different scenarios but I do need to book for both destinations. I may also get rid of the TD Aeroplan card if I have to top up cash to book instead of just using my miles.
Just select a different cash and points option. You have many to pick from. No point looking at what AC deems "popular" as it's marketing and likely not even true
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by loganre17
Just select a different cash and points option. You have many to pick from. No point looking at what AC deems "popular" as it's marketing and likely not even true
I tried but the options I want are greyed out
Old Jun 2, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
I tried but the options I want are greyed out
Do you have sufficient points?
monkai and kalderlake like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:02 am

How are Award Ticket Cancellation Fees Calculated?

I tried searching but can't find it specifically but on the web AC states that award tickets have a $150 fee Cancellation / Refund per ticket when done online. If i book an award ticket for 3 people on the same round trip itinerary and wanted to cancel is it just $150? or is it 3 people x $150 = $450 to cancel and get my award points re-deposited? Thank you for the help in clarifying.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:26 am

Programs: AC 75K
Each person has their own ticket, so it would be $450.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Each person has their own ticket, so it would be $450.
ouch - i thought so but wanted to confirm. thanks
Old Jul 31, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Actually $450 plus HST.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mapleg
Actually $450 plus HST.
Plus tax. Not necessarily HST.

Toronto i no longer the center of the universe. :-)
dr_torch likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:13 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Plus tax. Not necessarily HST.

Toronto i no longer the center of the universe. :-)
SInce the original poster has YYZ as his location, I customized my response based on that. It had nothing to do with Toronto being the centre of the universe. If he has put YEG as his location I would have written my reply as plus GST.
dr_torch likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:09 am

Thanks for everyone's response. One more question if you are willing to indulge this newbie. If i were to book a lattitude fare but use eups immediately to confirm an upgrade to business class. Is the fare still considered lattitude hence fully refundable with no fees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.