Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Threshold Gifts / Threshold eUps (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Threshold Gifts / Threshold eUps (2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2023, 4:55 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by HamptonIce
Sorry if this has been addressed on many occasions. I just hit 300K SQM. Gift Card or Points? I know it depends on my situation but any feedback from the forum from their previous selections? I will hit 250K SQM at a minimum for 2024 for another rollover year. The value of $2,000 vs 150,000 points is a great valuation for points. Thank you for any feedback.
I'm not sure that 1.3 cents per point is a great valuation. Compared to paying 3.5 cents or whatever they're charging these days, or buying at one of the periodic bonus sales for ~1.8-2 cents per point, sure, it's a good deal, but through CC spending and other avenues, are there not cheaper ways to accumulate the points? I figure my opportunity cost on CC spending is closer to 1 cent than 1.3. So I'd say it's an okay valuation, but not great.

And how many Aeroplan points do you have? If not many, maybe it makes more sense, but if you're sitting on a bunch, it could be a while before you use them.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 6:08 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by HamptonIce
Sorry if this has been addressed on many occasions. I just hit 300K SQM. Gift Card or Points? I know it depends on my situation but any feedback from the forum from their previous selections? I will hit 250K SQM at a minimum for 2024 for another rollover year. The value of $2,000 vs 150,000 points is a great valuation for points. Thank you for any feedback.
A pretty good rule of thumb I was taught is to take the points if you have an immediate use for them or are saving them for a specific purpose; take the money if you don't.
YOWgary, Adam Smith and HamptonIce like this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
I always look at it on reverse that you can redeem $150,000 points for only a $1,500 Air Canada gift card so the cash always seems like a better deal to me since you can use it to book SQD/SQM earning flights. If you book a lot of fixed point rewards on partners - maybe take points. But with the variable pricing I like the idea of cash.
BlondeBomber, taupo and HamptonIce like this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ac/elite
Well I finally received my gift cards last week. Only took 4 months.
So given I was finally able to select my $4k today, I should expect to get it late April? 🙃

I guess it's been about two months since I selected the $2k.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So given I was finally able to select my $4k today, I should expect to get it late April? 🙃

I guess it's been about two months since I selected the $2k.
Do they actually send out physical gift cards, not just issue a code? When I redeemed my former Company's "U R Awesome" points for AC "Gift Cards" they just sent me electronic codes via email and it was done within 24 hrs...same with Amazon. That said, I was shocked last week when I redeemed some of my National Bank Mastercard points for a Sbucks gift card and low and behold about 5 or 6 days later it shows up via courier...probably cost them $10 to pick/pack/ship a $25 GC...smh!

Even if they send out physical cards, that's a pretty ridiculous turnaround for something that is going to one of your best customers...how come these people can't seem to get their act together on anything?
Old Dec 29, 2023, 11:03 am

It's all digital.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC SE
Looks like some 2024 Threshold Gifts have posted from rollover miles. Unfortunately I'm still missing a threshold gift selection from a 2023 flight (from flight on Dec 29).
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
I'm still missing the 2500 points for crossing 60 SQM as a 50K and the 5000 points for crossing 90 SQM as a 75K, both in 2023 (I did get the SQMs). Who should I contact about this?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 5:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Got Threshold eUps without traveling?

I got +40 eups for no apparent reason on Jan 9.

The best explanation is a threshold eup: I should start the year with more than 100K rollover SQMs.

The issue is: (1) In the past one usually needs to take at least one flight before a threshold eup is awarded; (2) my SQM counter does not even spawn and I suspect the rollover SQM would have been deposited as early as Jan 9; and (3) shouldn’t the threshold eups be awarded as +10, +10, and +20 rather than a lump sum +40?

I wonder if anyone has the same experience as me. Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 14, 2024, 6:28 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
(1) In the past one usually needs to take at least one flight before a threshold eup is awarded
They said in the past they were going to fix this, and many people have reported the getting them just based on rollover this year, so it seems they've fixed it.

(2) my SQM counter does not even spawn and I suspect the rollover SQM would have been deposited as early as Jan 9
It has been noted in multiple threads that counters seem to be malfunctioning in iOS app but not Android or desktop.

(3) shouldn’t the threshold eups be awarded as +10, +10, and +20 rather than a lump sum +40?
No. I got all my 80 threshold eUps in one transaction, as well as 150K + 200K threshold bonus points.
billdokes and Changeup2000 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 9:18 am

I woke up to a couple emails with my $2k and $4k gift cards from 2023.

Edit: I spoke too soon. There were four emails. Two of them were the 2022 gift cards I already received. One was a gift card that shows a $0 balance (it doesn't mention a year in the email), but I have no record of the gift card number in my emails. One was a the 2023 $2k gift card.

So I'm still missing the 2023 $4k.

Edit again: I figured out why I was confused:

So I got the $2k, missing the $4k, but otherwise all is good. It just used the same thread as two years ago, so I thought there were four new emails.

Last edited by canadiancow; Jan 30, 2024 at 11:00 am
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:07 am

Programs: SE, 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I selected the 2K gift card at the end of November- that arrived for me today as well.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPG_Fan
I selected the 2K gift card at the end of November- that arrived for me today as well.
Ditto.
SPG_Fan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:10 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Still no 4K here either.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:57 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Bumping up an older thread - I did a search and couldn't find this discussed elsewhere.

I should have two banked years of SE - 2022 and 2023. I received emails from AC on Nov 28 2022 and Nov 28 2023 congratulating me on qualifying, and I had > 250,000 SQM and >20,000 SQD both years.

But the app and the website both say I just have one banked year.

Is there a lag in how quickly this posts? Or do I have to get AC to fix this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.