Wiki Posts
Search

Toronto - Bangkok Help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan
Toronto - Bangkok Help

Hi guys, sorry for the newbie questions . . .

I've been collecting points for the past 2 years but I'm yet to redeem any so I'm asking for help as I'm going round in circles looking.

Planned trip: August 2022, Toronto to Bangkok return, around 3 weeks duration, dates flexible, 3 passengers, Business or Premium or mixture of the two, don't mind which routes/stopovers.

My programs to date:

Aeroplan: 400K (25K member)
AMEX MR: 250K
RBC Rewards: 400K
Asia Miles: 35K
Alaskan Miles: 40K

I'm looking to get the best value out of my points and not waist them due to my inexperience.

Advise appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by NiallBee
Hi guys, sorry for the newbie questions . . .

I've been collecting points for the past 2 years but I'm yet to redeem any so I'm asking for help as I'm going round in circles looking.

Planned trip: August 2022, Toronto to Bangkok return, around 3 weeks duration, dates flexible, 3 passengers, Business or Premium or mixture of the two, don't mind which routes/stopovers.

My programs to date:

Aeroplan: 400K (25K member)
AMEX MR: 250K
RBC Rewards: 400K
Asia Miles: 35K
Alaskan Miles: 40K

I'm looking to get the best value out of my points and not waist them due to my inexperience.

Advise appreciated.

Thanks.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

What have you found in your initial searches, and what part of those search results does or doesn't seem like a good fit for you?
​​​​
ChrisA330 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:36 am
Original Poster

So far I’ve found: 100k points with RBC Rewards, Premium return with Cathay, which sounds like a good deal, but they are + $400 cash per flight taxes/fees.

Aeroplan is the standard 85K each way for business, lots of choice, might be my best option, but I’d blow through 510k points.
Doesn’t seem like good value flying premium compared to business with Aeroplan?

I’ve tried combining the two, business outbound and premium back, but RBC is only good value on return trips.

I’ve never had any luck finding flights with Asia Miles or Alaska, it usually says no flights available.

Any other partners I should be trying?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Dusit
I suggest that you wait. The schedules to BKK are still limited. Until Thailand really reopens (expected Q1 / Q2 2022) the frequency of flights just won't be there. Your excitement over 85,000 pt seats (one way) is misplaced. The 85,000 gets you 12% in business if you fly YYZ-HKG -BKK and 46% in business with YYZ-VIE-BKK. Very poor value. The only good news is that since mainland China is still closed, you won't be forced to use an Air China option.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
When you're researching reward flights, make sure that you check out the cow's unofficial tool. Discussion here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...a-cowtool.html

Although the unofficial tool does not feature the compellingly slow searches that are such an important part of the official Air Canada site , cow's tool offsets that by adding a ton of additional options in your searches. If you have flexibility re: dates and airports, then the cow's tool is invaluable to locate the best flights & reward prices & options. It's worthwhile spending some time to understand how to use the filters to find the ideal result for you.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I suggest that you wait. The schedules to BKK are still limited. Until Thailand really reopens (expected Q1 / Q2 2022) the frequency of flights just won't be there. Your excitement over 85,000 pt seats (one way) is misplaced. The 85,000 gets you 12% in business if you fly YYZ-HKG -BKK and 46% in business with YYZ-VIE-BKK. Very poor value. The only good news is that since mainland China is still closed, you won't be forced to use an Air China option.
Hey, there are loads of 100% business class flights from Toronto - Bangkok for 85K points: Air Canada, Etihad, Eva etc.
I definatly don't want to wait as hotels are already getting booked fast, some of my favourite places already 90% booked.
Theres going to be a mad rush getting back there next year!
So I'm just checking if this is the going rate and I'm not missing out on any great offers I'm unaware of.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 9, 2021 at 5:41 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
@NiallBee, welcome to FT.

Hopefully someone here will be able to help you with your Aeroplan-related questions. If you have questions about using your Alaska or Cathay miles, please note that these airlines/frequent flyer programs have their own boards:
Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Old Nov 9, 2021, 4:20 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / FB Platinum / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Consider transferring 220k from RBC Rewards to Asia Miles which would bring your AM total to 255k. This would get you 3 x one-way business class on Cathay (85k each). For the return in business you can use Aeroplan. This way you will have points remaining in both programs afterwards and you get to try different airlines/products. RBC occasionally runs transfer bonuses to Asia Miles which would allow you to transfer even fewer points but I have not seen a bonus promotion the last couple of years.

Also, this goes without saying but make sure there is award availability on Cathay before transferring any points.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:14 pm

Hey Buddy

go to awardhacker.com it should help you get a pretty good idea of every way you can use those points to get to BKK
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:43 am

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a different question regarding an award ticket YYZ-BKK in these Covid times.

Looking to book an aeroplan award YYZ-HKG-BKK. When I check it gives me an AC leg for YYZ-HKG and then ET on HKG-BKK. The layover is really long though at 8+ hours. However when I try the mutli-city tool it offers the first leg on AC and then offers a few CX routings on the second, allowing for a greatly shortened layover (just under 3 hrs). As a revenue ticket the CX segment is allowed.

Currently the rules at HKIA state that passengers are allowed to transit on different carriers under the same air ticket, provided any luggage is checked through and that all boarding passes are issued at the point of origin to the final destination. As a multi-city award (as opposed to one-way), would AC print the CX boarding pass & check the luggage (if any) through?. I assume yes, but usually assumption is the mother of all f-ups.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wordsew
Hey Buddy

go to awardhacker.com it should help you get a pretty good idea of every way you can use those points to get to BKK
Thanks for the advice guys.

I've decided to use all my Aeroplan points, 170K Business Etihad return, It's a lot of points but the cash price for this ticket is $9000! so excellent value considering Aeroplan points are easy to acquire here in Canada.

Now I just need to find out the best way of booking hotels on points, but thats another question for another time . . .
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by NiallBee
Thanks for the advice guys.

I've decided to use all my Aeroplan points, 170K Business Etihad return, It's a lot of points but the cash price for this ticket is $9000! so excellent value considering Aeroplan points are easy to acquire here in Canada.

Now I just need to find out the best way of booking hotels on points, but thats another a question for another time . . .
Etihad can usually be had for sub 3000 to BKK,
last time I paid around 2300.

Bangkok hotels are generally very reasonable. Id save the points.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
Etihad can usually be had for sub 3000 to BKK,
last time I paid around 2300.

Bangkok hotels are generally very reasonable. Id save the points.

I've never seen return less than $6000 so that sounds about right.

For 170K Aeroplan points I'm getting a redemption value of over 3.50/point which doesn't sound too bad, or on the much higher price quoted for the date of travel I'm getting 5.30/point which sounds great value.

I can only find hotels at 1:1 so no value there like you said, better to save the points for my next trip!
Old Nov 11, 2021, 4:49 pm

Good call on Etihad

I just returned from HKT and Etihad was really good - the Bizo Product on the 787 was really nice and I have booked with them again. I've flown EVA yyz-tpe-bkk a lot and that is another fantastic option. Enjoy the flight and BKK....go to the Skybar at the Lebua Hotel and hopefully you can meet up with the Wolfpack. LOL.
NiallBee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.