Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Moderator note: this thread is specifically about the US status match program. The AC forum has detailed threads on most aspects of the Aeroplan program, such as eUpgrades. If you have questions or comments about those benefits, please read and post in those threads. Posts in this thread that are off topic to the status match program will be deleted.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​FAQ

Q: I've taken the flights I need to extend my status to end of 2022. Why does my status still show expiring in 2021?
A: Firstly, your status cannot possibly be updated before the flights have posted to your Aeroplan account. If all of the flights haven't posted yet, your status will not update.

As of December 8, even existing AC elites whose status was extended months ago still show December 2021 status expiry. There is no clear timeline for when status will be extended, other than that it should happen in December.

Q: Do I have to fly a round trip booking to qualify for the extension?
A: Although the T&C refer to a round trip, an FTer confirmed with StatusMatch that two one-ways would suffice.

Q: Do points bookings qualify?
A: No.

Q: Which Select Privileges should I choose?
A: See this thread.

Q: How do I use eUpgrades? / Can I upgrade this booking? / Anything else eUpgrade related
A: Air Canada eUpgrade program (October 2020 onwards)
Print Wikipost

Canada to lure U.S. frequent flyers by matching travel perks on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2021, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
SFO-YVR-SFO is fine. BOS-YYZ-LAX on AC is not.

If either of the transborder segments are on a US airline it's not cabotage.

And you seem to be confusing "noticing" and "caring".

If you book two PNRs, the chance of them noticing is low.

Or it was low. I have no idea what 1A offers. I do know I've been contacted by gate agents about bookings I cancelled days earlier, because that somehow showed up on their screen.

If you're going back to a different US city, I would highly advise spending at least 4 hours in Canada.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Ah, I see the one-way possibility, it'll be quite helpful to me.

I would plan to spend 1-2 nights in Vancouver as there's excellent food up there, especially near the airport
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Hi everyone Can anyone confirm that the e-upgrade credits will expire next year with the status match granted that we complete the challenge?

Just wanted to make sure
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by CathayMVP
Hi everyone Can anyone confirm that the e-upgrade credits will expire next year with the status match granted that we complete the challenge?

Just wanted to make sure
You get a set of eUp credits each year with status. If you submitted a match now, you get credits that'll expire at the end of the year (Jan 15?) but you will get a new set then as well with an expiry at the end of next year.
CathayMVP likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 11:02 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
I have SFO - YYZ - DXB on Air Canada, that wouldn't quality I'm guessing? (7 hour layover in Toronto...)

Their FAQ says both "1 round trip with Air Canada" and also "2 flight segments with Air Canada", my route would not satisfy the first but it would for the last
Old Nov 4, 2021, 11:29 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
I have SFO - YYZ - DXB on Air Canada, that wouldn't quality I'm guessing? (7 hour layover in Toronto...)

Their FAQ says both "1 round trip with Air Canada" and also "2 flight segments with Air Canada", my route would not satisfy the first but it would for the last
Since that's just a connection on a one-way itinerary, I wouldn't expect that to qualify, unless you booked it as two separate tickets, and even that might be doubtful.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:31 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
https://www.aiconnects.us/how-touris...avel-recovery/

Discussion on the success of this status match campaign
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:33 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by keitherson

Do they discuss the huge amount of money wasted by our tourism board on fraudulent status matches for Canadian residents, as well as those who forged status from US airline programs?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:47 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Do they discuss the huge amount of money wasted by our tourism board on fraudulent status matches for Canadian residents, as well as those who forged status from US airline programs?
You are welcome to join the discussion and share your thoughts
Old Nov 5, 2021, 3:48 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by keitherson

This must be a cruel joke or something? If they think its a success with all this fraud...what a joke.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 3:58 pm

Finally decided to do the "simple thing" w/ a quick roundtrip from SFO to Vancouver... still reeling from the $380 USD cost for such a short flight!

(Asiana is refusing to look at renewing my status or extending the qualifying window until just before it would expire, so I need this as insurance... at least the food will be spectacular!)
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 3:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Does anyone know whether the cheapest AC booking class on their website would qualify, or does it need to be a Flex fare (in other words, status mile earning fare) at minimum?

[edit] for clarity, are i.e. vacation fares etc excluded, like if someone were to drive up to Montreal from Boston and then take an all inclusive down and back to the Caribbean somewhere.

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; Nov 6, 2021 at 5:22 pm
Old Nov 7, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Has anyone who has taken their round trip seen their status expiration date updated to the end of 2022? I did my RT over a weekend in October, but still says my status expires at the end of 2021.

I also don’t understand all of the heat on this board for people matching status. Canadians should be happy that people are coming to their country and spending money.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Has anyone who has taken their round trip seen their status expiration date updated to the end of 2022? I did my RT over a weekend in October, but still says my status expires at the end of 2021.
If only that question had already been asked and answered...

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That's not how AC works. Even those who had their existing status extended months ago still show as expiring at the end of this year.

The new status expiry should probably show up sometime in December.
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I also don’t understand all of the heat on this board for people matching status. Canadians should be happy that people are coming to their country and spending money.
The criticism has been driven mainly by the fact there has clearly been rampant fraud in this program. Many people have had status matches approved despite having Canadian addresses on their Aeroplan profiles. Others have used forged credentials from US airlines to obtain their matched status.

As for coming to our country and spending money, who's doing that? The genuine Americans who've come to this thread seem to be focused on doing immediate turns, which generates next to nothing for the Canadian economy. From a Canadian taxpayer's standpoint (because we're the ones who fund the tourism bureau that's paying AC for these matches), there's nothing positive about it.

From the perspective of those who already hold status with AC, letting a bunch of fraudsters gain status is clearly a negative, since those are people who will be competing for scarce resources such as upgrades, and who've already demonstrated their aptitude at working systems to their advantage.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
I can understand the resentment, but I'd like to point out that it's natural that questions on this forum focus on immediate turns because: a) normal round-trip visits don't raise a question, and b) it's not that easy to plan a meaningful trip that qualifies for the match, given the narrow time-frame for qualifying trips and the fact that it includes both US Thanksgiving and Christmas. So I believe it actually will be trips in 2022 that will be the proof of the pudding, one way or the other.
futuramadramallama likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.