Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Here are some common questions and answers.

What are Priority Rewards?

Priority Rewards (sometimes abbreviated as “PRs”) discount the base fare of a flight reward by 50%. (It does not discount taxes, fees, charges and, where applicable, the partner booking fee.)

Who can accumulate Priority Rewards?

Anyone with Aeroplan status.

What do some people refer to Priority Rewards as IKK?

Because of arcane Air Canada history. The new Aeroplan 2020 program was a major revamp to the approach to Priority Rewards.

How do I earn Priority Rewards?

You earn Priority Rewards through accumulating Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD). You will earn a voucher when you cross the 4,000, 7,000, and 10,000 SQD thresholds, and for every 5,000 SQD earned above 10,000 SQD – up to a maximum of 50,000 SQD. (Note: You can also earn Priority Rewards through spending on the US-dollar Chase Aeroplan Card.)

How long are Priority Rewards valid for?

Each Priority Reward you earn will have its own expiry date which will be generally one year from the date you earned the reward.

You must complete a booking by the expiry date. The actual flight dates are somewhat irrelevant as long as it’s a valid booking.

FTers report that a PR appears to expire at 23:59 UTC on your listed expiry day, although some have had difficulty even earlier in the day. Booking a day or two before expiry might be wise.

Do I need one or two Priority Rewards for a return or multi-city trip itinerary?

You need one. Priority Rewards apply to an entire itinerary.

Do I need multiple Priority Rewards for multiple passengers?

Yes, you need one Priority Reward per passenger.

On what flights can I use Priority Rewards?

It depends on your Aeroplan status:
  • 25K: economy class bookings within Canada and the US
  • 35K* or 50K: economy or premium economy class bookings within North America
  • 75K: economy or premium economy class bookings anywhere in the world
  • SE: economy, premium economy, or business class bookings anywhere in the world
*35K Priority Rewards earned prior to 2023 are only for Canada and US.

Can I book an itinerary that includes some ineligible segments if I just pay full price for those legs?

No, all legs need to be eligible.

If I achieve a higher Aeroplan status...
  • will my existing Priority Rewards be "upgraded"?
    • and qualify for early recognition at the time I also qualify for another PR which type will I receive

What if my status goes down?

Same thing, your PRs stay exactly as they were when you earned them.

If my status has changed and I have different types of PR, can I combine them on one booking as long as they’re eligible?

No. While this might theoretically be feasible, the Aeroplan system is not currently set up to accommodate this. You need to have enough PRs in the same category for all passengers on a booking.

If I cancel my booking, will I get my Priority Reward back?

Yes if that Priority Reward is still valid; no, if that Priority Reward has expired.

If I have applied a Priority Reward to a booking, is there any way to find out its expiry date?

No. You need to track this yourself.

If I cancel my booking, how long will it take to get my Priority Reward back?

It is usually instant.

What happens if I want to make changes to a flight reward with a Priority Reward?

The repricing of the flight should still account for the Priority Reward even if the Priority Reward itself would have expired at the time you make a change (although you should double-check that the 50% discount has correctly been applied). All other change rules/fees apply as normal.

Can I use a Priority Reward to book a flight reward for someone other than myself (or even a family member)?

Yes. You can use PRs for anyone. You do not need to be on the booking.

How do I use a Priority Reward?

Search for a flight reward using the website or app. Look for a “rewards available” or “credits and discounts” overlay at the bottom of the screen and select Priority Rewards.
      Print Wikipost

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:24 pm
      Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
      Originally Posted by mileender
      Yes it is the latter case. If I work through the flights from the promo that got swept in chronological order, the first two would have put me over 50k SQM, while the third would have put me above 7k SQD. I am wondering if this has been handled correctly for others.
      I don't think they're going to back-date this for something that was promo-based. There's nothing clear in the rules one way or the other, but it just doesn't seem like the kind of thing where they'd extend that courtesy. Only way to find out for sure is to write in.
      Old Aug 22, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
      Has anybody tried applying a priority reward to an already existing booking? I had to cancel a trip which was booked using priority rewards later in the year and would like to apply one of the rewards to an existing booking to avoid it expiring on Dec 31. I'm concerned that if I cancel and rebook the award space may no longer be available.
      Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:31 am
      Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
      Originally Posted by fly_yag
      Has anybody tried applying a priority reward to an already existing booking?
      Can't be done.
      Bohemian1 likes this.
      Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:41 pm

Can you apply a priority reward in your account to a booking done under your account but you yourself are not travelling?

And in connection to this, can you refund the priority reward assuming you book a refundable fare?
      Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:45 pm
      A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
      Yes and yes.
      Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
      Feel like I'm telling on myself here, but whatever.

My SQD this year is 6600 at the moment. I'm a 35K (soon to be 50).

I've already "earned" and used 2 priority rewards. And now have another in my account somehow (and I've verified that it is usable...)

Is there an explanation for this? Far as I can tell, I was only ever entitled to 1, not 3.
      Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: AC E50K :: SPG Platinum :: NEXUS
      Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this:

Regarding Priority Rewards upon achieving SE100K.

I received a Worldwide Premium Economy Cabin Priority Reward at $15,000 SQD. Upon hitting $20,000 SQD, and simultaneously hitting my SE100K requirement I got another Worldwide Premium Economy Cabin Priority Reward.

My question is:
      Will both of these Rewards switch to Business Class Cabin, as stated on Aeroplan's SE100K benefits chart, or do I only receive the Business Class Cabin Priority Rewards at $25,000 SQD, $30,000 SQD, etc?

I only just achieved the status so I'm not sure if the system just takes a few days to update? Most other SE100K benefits reflected instantly as soon as I chose my select benefits except the eUpgrades. Still waiting for those to show up.

Cheers.
      Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:16 am

No, they are worldwide PY PRs. PRs do not change as your status changes.

I think you could make a reasonable argument for switching the 20k PRWWPY with a PRWWJ, but the 15k is going to stay a PRWWPY.
      vancouver25k likes this.
      Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow

I think you could make a reasonable argument for switching the 20k PRWWPY with a PRWWJ, but the 15k is going to stay a PRWWPY.
      Thanks.

Would I make that argument with the Aeroplan contact center? I agree the one given at $20K SQD after having 100+ SQS for months should spit out a PRWWJ reward.

PS - Thanks for the acronym lesson lol
      Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:35 am

I think you'd want to use the contact form (https://accc-prod.microsoftcrmportal...da-contact-us/), and choose the "General Request" and "Aeroplan" option.
      kalderlake and vancouver25k like this.
      Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:09 am

Hello. I have a question. What will happen with the priority reward if I need to cancel my reservation? Will it come back to my account? Will it happen instantly or I will need to wait?
      Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:00 pm

Instantly, as long as it hasn't expired.
      Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:41 pm

thanks I was in the same situation. message sent.
      Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

So you want to reach the SE SQM before the SE SQD requirement otherwise that $20k PR will be while a E75 and only for PY.
      Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by vancouver25k
      So you want to reach the SE SQM before the SE SQD requirement otherwise that $20k PR will be while a E75 and only for PY.
      Well no... I had 108 SQS but was still at 75K until I hit $20,000 SQD.

I assumed since $20,000 SQD is the SE100K trigger that the associated PR would be for WW Business Class.

But it appears that one comes at $25K SQD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.