Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Here are some common questions and answers.

What are Priority Rewards?

Priority Rewards (sometimes abbreviated as PRs) discount the base fare of a flight reward by 50%. (It does not discount taxes, fees, charges and, where applicable, the partner booking fee.)

Who can accumulate Priority Rewards?

Anyone with Aeroplan status.

What do some people refer to Priority Rewards as IKK?

Because of arcane Air Canada history. The new Aeroplan 2020 program was a major revamp to the approach to Priority Rewards.

How do I earn Priority Rewards?

You earn Priority Rewards through accumulating Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD). You will earn a voucher when you cross the 4,000, 7,000, and 10,000 SQD thresholds, and for every 5,000 SQD earned above 10,000 SQD up to a maximum of 50,000 SQD. (Note: You can also earn Priority Rewards through spending on the US-dollar Chase Aeroplan Card.)

How long are Priority Rewards valid for?

Each Priority Reward you earn will have its own expiry date which will be generally one year from the date you earned the reward.

You must complete a booking by the expiry date. The actual flight dates are somewhat irrelevant as long as its a valid booking.

FTers report that a PR appears to expire at 23:59 UTC on your listed expiry day, although some have had difficulty even earlier in the day. Booking a day or two before expiry might be wise.

Do I need one or two Priority Rewards for a return or multi-city trip itinerary?

You need one. Priority Rewards apply to an entire itinerary.

Do I need multiple Priority Rewards for multiple passengers?

Yes, you need one Priority Reward per passenger.

On what flights can I use Priority Rewards?

It depends on your Aeroplan status:
  • 25K: economy class bookings within Canada and the US
  • 35K* or 50K: economy or premium economy class bookings within North America
  • 75K: economy or premium economy class bookings anywhere in the world
  • SE: economy, premium economy, or business class bookings anywhere in the world
*35K Priority Rewards earned prior to 2023 are only for Canada and US.

Can I book an itinerary that includes some ineligible segments if I just pay full price for those legs?

No, all legs need to be eligible.

If I achieve a higher Aeroplan status...
  • will my existing Priority Rewards be "upgraded"?
    • and qualify for early recognition at the time I also qualify for another PR which type will I receive

What if my status goes down?

Same thing, your PRs stay exactly as they were when you earned them.

If my status has changed and I have different types of PR, can I combine them on one booking as long as theyre eligible?

No. While this might theoretically be feasible, the Aeroplan system is not currently set up to accommodate this. You need to have enough PRs in the same category for all passengers on a booking.

If I cancel my booking, will I get my Priority Reward back?

Yes if that Priority Reward is still valid; no, if that Priority Reward has expired.

If I have applied a Priority Reward to a booking, is there any way to find out its expiry date?

No. You need to track this yourself.

If I cancel my booking, how long will it take to get my Priority Reward back?

It is usually instant.

What happens if I want to make changes to a flight reward with a Priority Reward?

The repricing of the flight should still account for the Priority Reward even if the Priority Reward itself would have expired at the time you make a change (although you should double-check that the 50% discount has correctly been applied). All other change rules/fees apply as normal.

Can I use a Priority Reward to book a flight reward for someone other than myself (or even a family member)?

Yes. You can use PRs for anyone. You do not need to be on the booking.

How do I use a Priority Reward?

Search for a flight reward using the website or app. Look for a rewards available or credits and discounts overlay at the bottom of the screen and select Priority Rewards.
      Print Wikipost

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Old Apr 21, 2024, 11:12 pm
      Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
      I won't re-hash the details of this post too much, but it's a good illustration of some of the limitations of the value of PRs. If I didn't have a PR on that booking, I wouldn't have cared so much about the nonsense pricing I was quoted and just made a separate booking. But since there was a PR, I went to great lengths to try to get this thing figured out. And if I had accepted their crap pricing, the PR would have saved me very few points.

With any booking with a PR seemingly unchangeable online (even simple one-ways), and a complete inability to do anything complicated on the website, using PRs often means a significant amount of time wasted on the phone with Aeroplan to try to get value out of the damned things.
      canopus27 and Diabeetus like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 21, 2024 at 11:31 pm Reason: Add link
      Old Apr 22, 2024, 9:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
      Originally Posted by Adam Smith
      I won't re-hash the details of this post too much, but it's a good illustration of some of the limitations of the value of PRs. If I didn't have a PR on that booking, I wouldn't have cared so much about the nonsense pricing I was quoted and just made a separate booking. But since there was a PR, I went to great lengths to try to get this thing figured out. And if I had accepted their crap pricing, the PR would have saved me very few points.

With any booking with a PR seemingly unchangeable online (even simple one-ways), and a complete inability to do anything complicated on the website, using PRs often means a significant amount of time wasted on the phone with Aeroplan to try to get value out of the damned things.
      Just a recent data point.

I had a four pax itinerary with PRs applied for which I split myself out in the last minute. I was able to change myself into a future date online to preserve the PR.
      Old Apr 22, 2024, 10:41 am
      A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
      Originally Posted by Adam Smith
      I won't re-hash the details of this post too much, but it's a good illustration of some of the limitations of the value of PRs. If I didn't have a PR on that booking, I wouldn't have cared so much about the nonsense pricing I was quoted and just made a separate booking.
      Even ignoring other taxes that can only be charged once per PNR, each additional PNR would result in an additional $39 partner "booking fee".

The PR is the biggest reason you'd want it all on one PNR, but it's not the only reason.
      Old Apr 22, 2024, 10:46 am
      Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
      Originally Posted by Changeup2000
      Just a recent data point.

I had a four pax itinerary with PRs applied for which I split myself out in the last minute. I was able to change myself into a future date online to preserve the PR.
      That's a positive development.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
      Even ignoring other taxes that can only be charged once per PNR, each additional PNR would result in an additional $39 partner "booking fee".

The PR is the biggest reason you'd want it all on one PNR, but it's not the only reason.
      In this case, the flights that were causing the pricing problem were all AC metal, so the $39 fee would not have applied. But I agree that could be a valid reason I'm other circumstances, as would wanting a round trip ticket for ability to change the whole thing in the event of a SKCH, and there might be other reasons to prefer one PNR as well.

I'm just pointing out one of the limitations.
      Old Apr 28, 2024, 8:00 pm

The priority rewards for some of the lower levels mention Premium Economy in North America. Is this referring to a specifically marketed Premium Economy cabin, or something else? Because if the former, that seems almost useless? While most inter-continental flights offer these, I struggle to think of the last time I saw such a thing within North America, excepting maybe a few flights to Hawaii and such.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 29, 2024 at 9:22 am Reason: Move content to appropriate thread
      Old Apr 28, 2024, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by nall
      The priority rewards for some of the lower levels mention Premium Economy in North America. Is this referring to a specifically marketed Premium Economy cabin, or something else? Because if the former, that seems almost useless? While most inter-continental flights offer these, I struggle to think of the last time I saw such a thing within North America, excepting maybe a few flights to Hawaii and such.
      Premium Econ is offered on some transcontinental flights, but only on the flights that have widebodies, which isn't a lot. Mostly between YVR-YYZ/YUL and such.
      ​​​​​​

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 29, 2024 at 9:21 am Reason: Move content to appropriate thread
      Old Apr 28, 2024, 10:31 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
      Originally Posted by nall
      There are tons of flights operating every day within NA that have PE on them, you just need to look for them at time of booking on the website.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 29, 2024 at 9:21 am Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
      Old Apr 29, 2024, 6:21 am
      A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
      And it's "up to premium economy", not "premium economy".

I've used a ton of my J PRs on Y.
      taupo likes this.
      Old May 13, 2024, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by JacFlyer
      Called in today for a change of the RT PR booking with the 1s bound flown, system worked like a charm and recalculate the price successfully.
      So I guess my problem is only with OW stop-over PR bookings. If you flew part of the OW stop-over bound, and trying to change the stopover duration afterwards, system would reprice at full price without PR applied.
      After more than a year, this issue still hasn't been fixed.

The condition to trigger this issue is relatively rare, but it's certainly making SEs life (or anyone who has PRs to burn) harder.

If you have a partially flown PNR, and the change you are trying to make involves a stop-over fare (the one with 5000 pts surcharge to allow you make a stop of up to 45 days along the routing), then the auto-pricing system would calculate ADCOL based on the price without priority rewards. The worse part is that auto-pricing system would indicate PR has already been factored into the calculation, so even if you escalate to a supervisor, they may just tell you to "go pound sand". The prompt to potentially make a supervisor aware of the issue is to kindly ask "could you price this manually to see how much it would cost without a PR", and if you are lucky to get a competent supervisor, they will notice the issue and manually half the price from the manual-pricing.

Context: I booked AAA-BBB-CCC, CCC-BBB-AAA RT trip, flown AAA-BBB-CCC, then tried to do a stop at BBB by moving BBB-AAA to a few days later. I first removed BBB-AAA and it was fine, got no difference in points and got a few dollars back in tax (CCC-BBB and CCC-BBB-AAA are in the same distance band). Then when I tried to add BBB-AAA back, if it's within 24 hours of CCC-BBB (no stopover), then auto-pricing works fine. However, when trying to add BBB-AAA more than 24 hours after CCC-BBB, the auto-pricing system starts to quoting price based on non-PR rate.

I asked the supervisor to file an IT ticket for this but not sure if it will ever get fixed. If someone here has better contact inside AP, I'd happy to provide a PNR as a reference to look at.
      YOWgary likes this.
      Old May 31, 2024, 1:11 pm
      zam

If I book on May 31 using a priority award that expires June 10, then book on June 5 using a priority award that expires Dec. 1. Then on June 8 I cancel the May 31 booking, will the June 10 priority award automatically attach to the June 5 booking and displace the Dec 1 award or will the June 10 expire on June 10 and the June 5 booking will eventually use the Dec 1 award? Thanks
      Old May 31, 2024, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by zam
      If I book on May 31 using a priority award that expires June 10, then book on June 5 using a priority award that expires Dec. 1. Then on June 8 I cancel the May 31 booking, will the June 10 priority award automatically attach to the June 5 booking and displace the Dec 1 award or will the June 10 expire on June 10 and the June 5 booking will eventually use the Dec 1 award? Thanks
      Nope. Once booked, the PR stays with that pax on that PNR.
      canadiancow likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.