Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2024, 11:55 am
zam

If it is an 014 ticket, AC will allow those changes, hopefully online. If not, once you get a rep on the phone it shouldn't be difficult. But once you fix the change you are stuck with it.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 4:54 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket
I had several YYZ-HKG flights cancelled on me for 2023; when I called in and asked to be rerouted via YYZ-DXB (AC) and then DXB-HKG (EK), or YYZ-DOH-HKG on AC and QR, respectively, the agent informed me that I had to "respect" the Pacific routing.

I'll lose about 3000 LQMs/SQMs
I realize this is an old post but my question is about rules regarding similar cases. While respecting the Pacific routing, would you be allowed to "overshoot" and backtrack if you wanted to maximize SQM? Like YYZ-YVR-SIN-HKG?

In the same line of thought, if a route Europe - Canada is no longer flown by AC, similarly can we reschedule to Europe - DXB (or even DEL!) on *A partner and then DXB (or DEL) - YYZ on AC?

For revenue ticket.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:03 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by escape4
I realize this is an old post but my question is about rules regarding similar cases. While respecting the Pacific routing, would you be allowed to "overshoot" and backtrack if you wanted to maximize SQM? Like YYZ-YVR-SIN-HKG?

In the same line of thought, if a route Europe - Canada is no longer flown by AC, similarly can we reschedule to Europe - DXB (or even DEL!) on *A partner and then DXB (or DEL) - YYZ on AC?

For revenue ticket.
I don't know about Europe, but AC is rebooking TLV - DXB - YYZ.
escape4 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:30 pm

Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Swapping itineraries (connecting in YVR vs LAX)

Air Canada changed my flight YYZ -HNL with an initial 2-hour connecting time in YVR with one with a 5-hour connection time in YVR. Basically, the flight from YYZ instead of leaving at 1 pm leavs now at 10 am.
There's an option to shift the entire itinerary via LAX but with only 2-hour connection time and a change of terminal in LAX.
Would it be a problem (too tight connection in LAX) to opt for changing to this YYZ -LAX-HNL flight, or should I just accept the new revised itinerary from Air Canada with the 5-hour layover in YVR?
The trip is at end of April.
I've only been in LAX twice, so not very familiar.
There are similar options but with the connection in SFO.
Any advice, appreciated.
Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:29 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
If I were you, I'd take the flight to LAX. UA (I'm assuming that's how you're flying LAX-HNL) are in adjacent terminals that you can walk to without leaving security. But your inflight experience on UA will be different than on AC, namely it might not have in seat TV.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fbrdky
If I were you, I'd take the flight to LAX. UA (I'm assuming that's how you're flying LAX-HNL) are in adjacent terminals that you can walk to without leaving security. But your inflight experience on UA will be different than on AC, namely it might not have in seat TV.
I think you could replace "LAX" with "SFO" everywhere in your post and it would be just as accurate.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 8:09 am

Downgraded on reward flight - no refund

Booked a round trip last December YUL-SFO for next week. 43k miles for Premium Economy cabin.
Two days ago AC sent an email informing me that I’ve been downgraded to sardine class, Preferred Economy for whatever it means due to a plane type change.
I called Aeroplan Customer Service and the agent informed me that no mileage refund will be issued. The only way to get a refund is to cancel the whole trip.

It’s the first time this is happening to me, is that normal ? I’m considering cancelling because it seems to me like robbery; I paid nearly twice the miles required in order to avoid sardine class….
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 8:20 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by savvytraveller76
Booked a round trip last December YUL-SFO for next week. 43k miles for Premium Economy cabin.
Two days ago AC sent an email informing me that I’ve been downgraded to sardine class, Preferred Economy for whatever it means due to a plane type change.
I called Aeroplan Customer Service and the agent informed me that no mileage refund will be issued. The only way to get a refund is to cancel the whole trip.

It’s the first time this is happening to me, is that normal ? I’m considering cancelling because it seems to me like robbery; I paid nearly twice the miles required in order to avoid sardine class….
I've had that happen, canceling wasn't an option for me so I forced them to move me onto another flight with PY...in my case it meant that instead of going YVR - YUL - YYZ, I was able to get a non-stop YVR - YYZ.

I'd suggest you do the research on your options and call back TELLING them what you need them to do, not asking about your options.

If you can't find a suitable alternative routing/date/time and need to stick with your original booking, I would definitely be expecting a partial refund of my points.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 8:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Aeroplan has always had a policy of recalculating and refunding prorated points cost after travel, on request. based on affected segment mileage % compared to total trip

I've never seen what happens with calculating for dynamically priced AC flights. AC Latitude Y could cost more than PY. AC standard could cost 1/5th of PY.
Adam Smith and vancouver25k like this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 9:59 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Angry

My upcoming AC YYC-YUL-CAI has now been messed up with the shortish notice cancellation of the seasonal YUL-CAI route.

I was rebooked on AC YYC-YUL overnight AC YUL-ATH overnight MS ATH-CAI which does not work for my schedule so called right away and the agent was great and advised "no problem, just call back when you have the preferred routing and we will make it work".

Yesterday I called back and this agent advised that I will be waitlisted on the revised routing and then cold transferred me to the AC Elite desk where the agent told me he had never heard of this happening and said to try calling AE back again.

This was an Latitude award with eupgrade credits applied and confirmed months ago and someone (or the system) forced open R space on the YUL-ATH segment so not sure why this cannot happen on the revised routing since its an involuntary change.

Advice would be appreciated before I try calling back.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 10:45 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
My upcoming AC YYC-YUL-CAI has now been messed up with the shortish notice cancellation of the seasonal YUL-CAI route.

I was rebooked on AC YYC-YUL overnight AC YUL-ATH overnight MS ATH-CAI which does not work for my schedule so called right away and the agent was great and advised "no problem, just call back when you have the preferred routing and we will make it work".

Yesterday I called back and this agent advised that I will be waitlisted on the revised routing and then cold transferred me to the AC Elite desk where the agent told me he had never heard of this happening and said to try calling AE back again.

This was an Latitude award with eupgrade credits applied and confirmed months ago and someone (or the system) forced open R space on the YUL-ATH segment so not sure why this cannot happen on the revised routing since its an involuntary change.

Not sure of your travel dates, but can't you get them to book you on the MS non-stop YYZ-CAI? Alternatively, MS also flies JFK + EWR-CAI. I did the MS YYZ-CAI last year, wasn't the greatest experience, but that was on an old 777 and I see now they appear to have changed that to a 789. Not sure how many points the Latitude reward cost, but you might end up getting a better deal on MS in J.

As mentioned in prior posts, it is always best to do your homework and determine what YOU want them to do before calling in and then take the approach of "I'm calling about ABC123 and have been affected by the schedule change on ACXXX. The re-routing offered by the system doesn't work; I'm confirmed in J so I need you to move me onto MSXXX in J please on x-date".

If you get an agent that knows what they are doing they will appreciate you having done the leg-work and should be able to make it happen.

Oh, and if you end up on MS, be sure to stop by the Duty Free on the way out...dry airline, but they don't frown on you self-serving with your own alcohol.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 1:06 pm

Programs: 35 K

Just had the same thing happen with my July YYJ-YUL-CAI. I was booked in J aĺl AC and now they rebooked YYC-LHR J on AC then LHR-CAI on Egyptair in Y and told me I would have to contact Egyptair for seats.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 1:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by savvytraveller76

Do not trust the Aeroplan refund process to give you a satisfactory point refund. You can ask Aeroplan to put you via YVR and seat you in PY. This is probably the only way to make you whole. However, it may not be worthwhile to add another stop while still having to sit Y between SFO and YVR.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:18 am

Econ Basic itinerary changed...full refund?

My parents one-way domestic Econ Basic flights have shifted by an hour. They got an email stating either accept the change or

Cancel booking

You may have the option of cancelling your booking for a full refund. To start the cancellation process, click on the link below.You can also call us at 1 888 247-2262 for assistance with your cancellation
Just want to make sure that clicking "Proceed with Cancellation" will actually get my parents a full refund?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:57 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp

Quick update.

Since my rebooked AC YVR-FRA upgrade request is still waitlisted, I decided to cancel the entire booking and start over. I am still not sure that it was handled correctly with a route cancellation.

The upside is that A3 ATH-CAI flights can be found for $269 CAD in Business Class one-way, so problem solved.
kalderlake likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.