Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Min. schedule change for refund?

I added an AC itinerary to a phone app today and the first thing that came up was a schedule change (very minor < 10 mins). Option is to accept or cancel for full refund. Is the latter too good to be true?

Advantage of the AC flight is it's non-stop but on a CRJ and we have no *A status. For the same fare (in USD, a wash if we pay for bag fees on AC) on DL, we get seat selection and lounge access (+ free bag) but takes much longer.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by seks
My parents one-way domestic Econ Basic flights have shifted by an hour. They got an email stating either accept the change or

Just want to make sure that clicking "Proceed with Cancellation" will actually get my parents a full refund?
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I added an AC itinerary to a phone app today and the first thing that came up was a schedule change (very minor < 10 mins). Option is to accept or cancel for full refund. Is the latter too good to be true?

Advantage of the AC flight is it's non-stop but on a CRJ and we have no *A status. For the same fare (in USD, a wash if we pay for bag fees on AC) on DL, we get seat selection and lounge access (+ free bag) but takes much longer.
The official threshold to be eligible for a refund is 3 hours. The website or app may tell you you're eligible for a refund when you're not and either (a) give you the refund or (b) fail to compete the refund, telling you to phone in, at which point a phone agent will likely tell you you're not eligible for a refund. YMMV.
YVR Cockroach likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
IIRC AC always says your ticket "may" be cancelled for a full refund. I did not recall it says you are definitely eligible for the full refund. Less than 3 hours of schedule change usually only allows a +/- 3 days free change within the NA zone or +/- 7 days free change for "International" flights. Alternatively, I was able to cancel a non-refundable ticket with a 15 minute schedule change for a future flight credit with the change fee waived. I was not sure whether it was the policy or the agent did me a favor.
YVR Cockroach likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:19 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
Alternatively, I was able to cancel a non-refundable ticket with a 15 minute schedule change for a future flight credit with the change fee waived. I was not sure whether it was the policy or the agent did me a favor.
You got lucky that an agent did you a favour.
Changeup2000 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Couple of days ago, they changed the schedule of a couple of transcons later this summer, by about 40 minutes. This affected four of our bookings, between my wife and myself.

One of them was just changed, with no notification. Booking for myself, latitude with confirmed upgrade.

One was a reward for my wife. Offered to change the whole leg in question only.

Last two were low business class for myself. One of them let me change both ways.

The other one allowed me no changes, only accept or cancel.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 2:15 pm
zam

Have had exactly that experience recently. No rhyme or reason. Plus I've had some confirmed upgrades able to rebook into J and others only to Y.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 7:35 am

Programs: AA
Lounge access for long layover due to AC itinerary change?

In late January, my wife and I booked a round trip from ATL to EDI via YYZ (premium economy) for June. In February, AC notified us by email that our aircraft had been downgraded (2+2 vs. 3+3) from an E175 to an A319. There was a minimal change in the departure/arrival times from ATL to YYZ. I had to change the seats from bulkhead to non-bulkhead (we like to put something under the seat) but this was no big deal.

A couple of days ago, we got a major schedule change. The equipment is the same. However, the layover at YYZ had now gone from 1:27 to 4:52. Given the long layover and equipment downgrade (for a party of 2), I called AC and asked for lounge access during the YYZ layover.
  1. The Agent first tried to sell a 5-hour layover as an advantage.
  2. The Agent offered that I can cancel and receive a full refund (trip is < 2 months out). I explained how it was unlikely that rebooking a trip to occur in <60 days without a significant financial penalty was not likely to be a viable option.
  3. The Agent refused to let me speak to her supervisor.
  4. The Agent said I might be able to purchase lounge access.
  5. The Agent offered to rebook either the day before of after with a layover that was "only" ~3.5 hrs vs the nearly 5 hour layover. Unfortunately, we have already booked and paid for our hotel and land tours so this is not an attractive option.
Do I have any other recourse? I have no status although I have purchased full-fare international business class before. Is this usual AC behavior?

Thank you.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 7:53 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Beven12S
In late January, my wife and I booked a round trip from ATL to EDI via YYZ (premium economy) for June. In February, AC notified us by email that our aircraft had been downgraded (2+2 vs. 3+3) from an E175 to an A319. There was a minimal change in the departure/arrival times from ATL to YYZ. I had to change the seats from bulkhead to non-bulkhead (we like to put something under the seat) but this was no big deal.

A couple of days ago, we got a major schedule change. The equipment is the same. However, the layover at YYZ had now gone from 1:27 to 4:52. Given the long layover and equipment downgrade (for a party of 2), I called AC and asked for lounge access during the YYZ layover.
  1. The Agent first tried to sell a 5-hour layover as an advantage.
  2. The Agent offered that I can cancel and receive a full refund (trip is < 2 months out). I explained how it was unlikely that rebooking a trip to occur in <60 days without a significant financial penalty was not likely to be a viable option.
  3. The Agent refused to let me speak to her supervisor.
  4. The Agent said I might be able to purchase lounge access.
  5. The Agent offered to rebook either the day before of after with a layover that was "only" ~3.5 hrs vs the nearly 5 hour layover. Unfortunately, we have already booked and paid for our hotel and land tours so this is not an attractive option.
Do I have any other recourse? I have no status although I have purchased full-fare international business class before. Is this usual AC behavior?

Thank you.
Zero recourse, they are still getting you to final destination.
The YYZ Intl MLL is awful at best. You get to hear all the announcements from the gates below, food is sparse, lounge is often crowded and always dirty.
You are not missing out on anything.
For a layover that long, I would take https://www.torontopearson.com/en/tr...ing/up-express and get a decent meal, leg stretch.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 8:12 am

Programs: AC 75K, FB Gold, BW Diamond Select
How is going from an E175 to a A319 a downgrade? It's a change to a bigger more spacious aircraft.
You haven't booked a fare that includes lounge access, so why would you expect to be given lounge access for free?
There are many trips that Air Canada have where the connection is over 4hrs, imagine how insanely crowded the lounge would become if they then gave everyone lounge access.
As you've booked Premium Economy you'll have the option to purchase a one time lounge pass at check-in for $49 per person.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Yyz international lounge is pretty bad as described. Have a meal in the airport or if you have priority pass there is a Plaza Premium lounge that is marginally better but also small and crowded.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 8:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Did you try AC's online self-rebooking tool to see if there are any other better options? For international ticket you can have a free change to +/- 7 days and up to 20 different options per day.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:24 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Lounge access is not something AC or most other airlines will provide in situations like this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 10:06 am

Programs: AA
Dear Dr. Nest: For a couple traveling together in coach, the 2+2 on an E175 is preferable to 3+3 on a A319. Every ridden on either aircraft?

My complaint is that the connection time increased from 1.5 hours to nearly 5 hours. Regardless of how long connection times can/do reach, it is the magnitude of the increase that is upsetting to me. I was sold a connection time of 1:27. Maybe your time is worth nothing but my time is worth a lot more.

If you know that AC will do nothing for this circumstance, that is helpful information.

If you are an AC/YYZ expert, it would be interesting to know if you think that the $49 lounge fee is likely to be worth the money.

Your disparaging comments are not helpful and imply to me that your reading comprehension is an area of improvement for you. If this is the best you can do, STFU.
billdokes and eggsbenedict like this.

Last edited by Beven12S; Apr 8, 2024 at 7:19 am
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not long ago as a result of a relatively minor change on the other leg, I was offered the option to change a YYC-Italy leg. Originally booked through YUL. The option I picked was through YVR and FRA on AC, with the last leg on LH.

Anyway, I just checked what the price would have been going that way. Turns out aircanada.com did not even offer or price that option. Which from my standpoint would be be far the best now that they have dropped the direct FRA.
Wigg likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:03 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Just realized that my itinerary has changed without us getting any notification. Leaving and arriving at the same exact time, however a segment was added.

GCM -IAD - YYC - YEG with an 12+ hr overnight layover in DC.

It is now GCM - IAD - DEN - YYC - YEG with a 11+ hr overnight in DC.

Looks like the IAD - YYC flight has been cancelled..

Can I request a change free of charge, or does the fact that we leave and arrive at the exact same times as the original booking give them the right to say no?

Thanks
​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.