Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: AP: Air Transportation Charges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: AP: Air Transportation Charges

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2021, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Disregard- this has been solved! AP: Air Transportation Charges

My understanding with the new Aeroplan program was that the ridiculous Carrier Surcharges were being removed.
I’ve priced out a new booking for August 2021 YYZ-ATH for 2 people on Direct AC flights in J cabin.
It showed me the amount of taxes per leg as I went through the booking portal, however when I got to the checkout page it has ‘Air Transportation Charges’ of $3254.40.
This caught me off guard as I was under the impression with the new AP that I’d be spending more points to book, but only pay the taxes on the award tickets.
I called the call centre to inquire and they searched the same dates and came up with the same amount, and said it was correct without providing reasoning.

This group has been quite informative in the past. Any idea why this charge would be there?

I’ve attached a screenshot for reference.

TIA

Last edited by flyboy.88; May 23, 2021 at 10:14 am
Old May 23, 2021, 8:09 am

If you choose a different redemption option (or it's automatically selected), the additional cost in exchange for less points is coded as "Air Transportation Charges". As a 50k member, it's pricing at 270,400 AP + $3457. The pricing shown when selecting flights is 450,400 + $217 (which makes sense since each flight, per person, is around 100k).
YOWgary likes this.
Old May 23, 2021, 8:27 am
Original Poster

thank your for that information.
It’s a bit deceiving that through the booking flow it shows the fewer points (approx. 67k per person, each way) and the taxes, but than at checkout adds in thousands in Air Transportation Charges.
Not very transparent and honest in my opinion. It should display all the taxes and fees per leg, or should the highest amount of points, and allow you at checkout to lower points, and pay fees.

With the old AP, YYZ-ATH direct in J was 230k roundtrip plus $1400 in fees. This new AP is so much more. Guess, it’s time to look at other carrier programs.

Originally Posted by zappy312
If you choose a different redemption option (or it's automatically selected), the additional cost in exchange for less points is coded as "Air Transportation Charges". As a 50k member, it's pricing at 270,400 AP + $3457. The pricing shown when selecting flights is 450,400 + $217 (which makes sense since each flight, per person, is around 100k).
Old May 23, 2021, 9:31 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flyboy.88
thank your for that information.
It’s a bit deceiving that through the booking flow it shows the fewer points (approx. 67k per person, each way) and the taxes, but than at checkout adds in thousands in Air Transportation Charges.
Not very transparent and honest in my opinion. It should display all the taxes and fees per leg, or should the highest amount of points, and allow you at checkout to lower points, and pay fees.
The price shown during the booking flow is per person. It's showing me ~112K points during the booking flow, and at check-out, it's ~450K + $217, as it should be. (Actually, it shows me $99 + $49 for the charges, so the cash component is less than the sum of what's shown in the booking flow).

With the old AP, YYZ-ATH direct in J was 230k roundtrip plus $1400 in fees. This new AP is so much more. Guess, it’s time to look at other carrier programs.
The new Aeroplan has variable pricing. Often it's going to cost more, sometimes less. But availability is better and there are no airline surcharges to pay.

If something is pricing at 225K per pax now, it almost certainly would not have been available under the old program on a Fixed Mileage award; it would have been available only on Market Fare, possibly at an even higher price than you're seeing now. Or you would have had to find a different routing or dates to get a better price.

If you're unhappy with the price for the direct, you can fly YYZ-CDG-ATH or YYZ-FRA-ATH for 70K points, or YYZ-CAI-ATH for 85K points. Coming back, ATH-CAI-YYZ is available for 85K.

So is 310K + $355 really that much worse than 230K + $1,400?
YOWgary likes this.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:22 am
Original Poster

ahh okay this makes more sense. It 113k per person each way, I had selected two adults and assumed that was the total for both as the app doesn’t show the rate is ‘per person’.

When I was on the website last week looking at flights, the points reflected during the flow was reflective of the amount of passengers.

Some other days it’s 67k each way per person so the 113k didn’t seem apparently wrong for two people.

Also, when I referenced 230k under the old AP program that was for 2 people in J (not per person). Aside from last year due to covid, we had went to Athens the previous 7 years in J and it was consistently 230k total plus taxes and fees for both us. Yes, there wasn’t a lot of inventory, however we’d book about 10 months out and we’re flexible with our dates and it always worked. So yes, under the new AP it’s a lot more to travel their route.

I thank each of you for your input and now that I’ve figured out the app prices per person, I’ll search for those 67k flights.

have a good weekend!

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The price shown during the booking flow is per person. It's showing me ~112K points during the booking flow, and at check-out, it's ~450K + $217, as it should be. (Actually, it shows me $99 + $49 for the charges, so the cash component is less than the sum of what's shown in the booking flow).

The new Aeroplan has variable pricing. Often it's going to cost more, sometimes less. But availability is better and there are no airline surcharges to pay.

If something is pricing at 225K per pax now, it almost certainly would not have been available under the old program on a Fixed Mileage award; it would have been available only on Market Fare, possibly at an even higher price than you're seeing now. Or you would have had to find a different routing or dates to get a better price.

If you're unhappy with the price for the direct, you can fly YYZ-CDG-ATH or YYZ-FRA-ATH for 70K points, or YYZ-CAI-ATH for 85K points. Coming back, ATH-CAI-YYZ is available for 85K.

So is 310K + $355 really that much worse than 230K + $1,400?
Old May 28, 2021, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by flyboy.88
ahh okay this makes more sense. It 113k per person each way, I had selected two adults and assumed that was the total for both as the app doesn’t show the rate is ‘per person’.

When I was on the website last week looking at flights, the points reflected during the flow was reflective of the amount of passengers.

Some other days it’s 67k each way per person so the 113k didn’t seem apparently wrong for two people.

Also, when I referenced 230k under the old AP program that was for 2 people in J (not per person). Aside from last year due to covid, we had went to Athens the previous 7 years in J and it was consistently 230k total plus taxes and fees for both us. Yes, there wasn’t a lot of inventory, however we’d book about 10 months out and we’re flexible with our dates and it always worked. So yes, under the new AP it’s a lot more to travel their route.

I thank each of you for your input and now that I’ve figured out the app prices per person, I’ll search for those 67k flights.

have a good weekend!
thanks my issue has been fixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.