Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:09 pm

Is YUL-YHZ going to have a distance of 499, 500 or 502 miles for the purpose of the award chart ?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Is YUL-YHZ going to have a distance of 499, 500 or 502 miles for the purpose of the award chart ?
The points predictor tool says 10k-15k in Y, so it’s over 500.

I suggest you write in to their feedback form as was suggested to me on a similar question up thread (my concern was YEG-YVR).

I wrote in with a general comment about the old vs new “short haul.” I suggested increasing the threshold of the lowest distance to 750 miles instead of simply increasing by a few miles to accommodate a few things such as YVR-YEG. Even at that distance many short haul zones will be smaller than what they are currently.
milesforhire and hoipolloi like this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
If redemption pricing is not determined by origin and destination "as the crow flies", but instead by the sum of the distance of the flights chosen, this raises a dilemma. Say I book YVR-SFO-YYZ-MUC in Y which is 7,198 miles and therefore redeem 55k points. What if, for whatever, reason the airline rebooks me on the day of departure to just YVR-MUC which is 5,198 miles and therefore "worth" 40k points. Am I entitled to a refund of 15k points?

I'm asking because this sort of thing has happened to me on two occasions, once on UA and once on LH, both on reward tickets, and both were not subject to IRROPS. Flights were on time but UA/LH obviously needed seats on the other flights being dropped. I only found out on check in that the ticket has to be reissued, which caused a flurry of phone calls by the check-in agent before I could be checked in. New tickets are then issued in full fare Y and earn points.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by guessaaa
If redemption pricing is not determined by origin and destination "as the crow flies", but instead by the sum of the distance of the flights chosen, this raises a dilemma. Say I book YVR-SFO-YYZ-MUC in Y which is 7,198 miles and therefore redeem 55k points. What if, for whatever, reason the airline rebooks me on the day of departure to just YVR-MUC which is 5,198 miles and therefore "worth" 40k points. Am I entitled to a refund of 15k points?

I'm asking because this sort of thing has happened to me on two occasions, once on UA and once on LH, both on reward tickets, and both were not subject to IRROPS. Flights were on time but UA/LH obviously needed seats on the other flights being dropped. I only found out on check in that the ticket has to be reissued, which caused a flurry of phone calls by the check-in agent before I could be checked in. New tickets are then issued in full fare Y and earn points.
We were discussing this on the do tonight. I'd certainly fight for a refund of the difference, because the chart says "Points required for partner airline flight rewards are based on the actual distance flown between origin and destination".

That being said, I might wait to see if I get SQM credited before deciding whether to ask for 15k points back.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 11:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Did you honestly think that five years after the last major revision to the award chart, we wouldn't see increases of at least 10%?

210K for YOW-PER is a kick in the berries, no question, but YVR-HND in ANA J, just went from 150K to 110K r/t.

Don't ask me how that second one is now cheaper than YUL-CDG, but the point is that there are some pros and cons across the whole chart.
In principle we should never see increases in the award chart. It should not be subject to inflation since the cost of earn points goes up with inflation. That said, this a complete revamp.

I don't like how this is moving closer to the WestJet model. That is not good. It should be the other way around. As frequent fliers we need to create the environment where these two are competing to win us over with their loyalty program. I am disappointed by the program changes. I am not surprised.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:41 am

Just went over my notes from the briefing and these dates may or may not be of interest:
* August 11 - program details revealed (which is where we're at now, natch)
* August 24 - "bank notifications start" re: credit cards, but it seems some here are already getting a heads-up from their banks?
* November 8 - "soft launch, program and co-branded cards launch" - so while Nov8 is the go-live it's still being called a "soft launch"?
* Q1 2021 - "hard launch, mass (ad) campaign starts" - I suppose by this time a few more planks of the Aeroplan 2 platform will be in place, so it'll be a little more of a 'complete' package. Those features, which as of today are TBA beyond Nov11, may well include the likes of Priority Rewards, the Status Pass, 'Everyday Status Qualification' etc.
Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: AC SE
Ticket prices are known to fluctuate, so that they often begin high, decrease gradually over time, then spike up at the end. My understanding is that with this new system points and revenue are tied together, so we should expect to see the points pricing fluctuate similarly to the revenue pricing. If that's the case, would we anticipate booking early, then potentially canceling and rebooking if and when the prices fall? This seems especially something those with SuperElite status would do because of the free changes. Or have I misunderstood how pricing works?
Old Aug 12, 2020, 4:28 am

Programs: AC-ELITE 50K
Family Account

does the family account will only allow sharing miles for redemption or will it allow family AQD and AQM to also be pooled to get status as a family ?
Old Aug 12, 2020, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Fiordland
In principle we should never see increases in the award chart. It should not be subject to inflation since the cost of earn points goes up with inflation. That said, this a complete revamp.
I don't understand why people accept the "need" for airlines and hotel companies to devalue their reward charts because of "inflation". As you point out pretty much by definition the value of a reward flight/room goes up or down at the same rate as a paid one - i.e. the value of a flight may be higher, but I've been paying more for the miles I earn. Unfortunately as we move to a revenue-based model, there is a better excuse for regular devaluations because the link is lost.

Originally Posted by camelari
does the family account will only allow sharing miles for redemption or will it allow family AQD and AQM to also be pooled to get status as a family ?
It only shares for redemptions (and takes proportionally fro meach account so you can't designate who the points are taken from). Apparently all family members will benefit from the highest status of any family member when it comes to booking - so if there is an SE in the family and SE's are offered some kind of booking advantage, that booking advantage is open to everyone in the family circle... in practice probably means that if SE can cancel for free, all family members can also cancel for free.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 4:59 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by djsflynn
American Express has its own release on AMEX Aeroplan cards due to land later this monring...
Did anybody see any release from them yesterday? Hoping someone has a link to share.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
True, but I have never considered long haul in Y over the Pacific to be a "good" redemption. The first time I wasted miles doing that is what inspired me to find out more about Aeroplan and join Flyertalk in the first place.
75,000 miles for a transpacific ticket that costs $1000 easily roundtrip isn't too bad. 1.3 cents a mile. The added flexibility of booking one-way also increases the value, as I toggle between programs and typically fly the longer leg back to Asia in J. I've had some qwerky itineraries over the years with more stopovers/transits to enhance the value, such as doing the long route HKG-BKK-LHR-YUL in 2014, although the extra charges were about CAD 475. Given the long distance, that number seemed much more reasonable than a 1.5 hour flight to La Guardia with $100+ in extra charges.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 5:44 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
I'm also getting too cynical for my age, the first thing that came to mind about the family miles is how they'll handle that for divorce, lol.
That was my first thought too!
Old Aug 12, 2020, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Clearly, for Y bookers, need to book BEFORE Nov 8, it's big deval everywhere (and I'll guess that's where MOST people redeem, to Europe or Asia in Y). Plus, ANA/EVA/TK didn't have much YQ to begin with to offset the miles increase

For J, it's reasonable increase and without YQ

And Predictor is useless if MOST of the time options are in the mid-to-high end ranges

but I'd look into Intra-Asia redemptions now, who knows whether the LCC low $ flights will return or not. TPE-HKG is 8000 pts one-way, competiting with Avios eh...
I've done a quick analysis of ex-HKG redemptions to some of our favourite short haul long weekend destinations. The rates have come down significantly for the likes of TPE, NRT, ICN, and SIN, so pretty much most of our regional vacation spots, but the new rates are still inferior to Asia Miles redemptions. For Japan and Korea in particular, the new rates are still above the old 20,000 Aeroplan miles required long ago before the last round of program revamp.

https://www.globalphotos.org/air202008.htm
Old Aug 12, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: AC 50K, Viporter Priority
Originally Posted by codfather
Did anybody see any release from them yesterday? Hoping someone has a link to share.
I was looking for the same (re: Amex). They did publish a press release but not a lot of details beyond what was described on Aéroplan about credit cards
https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...860921849.html

One thing worries me: they talk about access to Maple Leaf Lounges in North America and Air Canada Café (while the Amex Aeroplan Platinum provided access to All Maple Leafs Lounges including international which had better offering)

nothing else from Amex in my mailbox or on their website. I hope they don’t raise the fees (TD equivalent card is now at $599, vs $499 for the Amex Aeroplan platinum)
codfather likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Yeah you can put your friends into your sharing group too. Wonder what the mechanism will be to leave a group/kick someone out
pilot007 likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 30, 2021 at 12:24 am Reason: Edit to reflect thread move

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.