Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Is YYZ-ORD-FRA-CPH a valid routing? I called in yesterday and the agent said it was over the maximum distance and the only way to make it work would be to book a separate YYZ-ORD flight which is pretty expensive at the moment for my selected date.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Is YYZ-ORD-FRA-CPH a valid routing? I called in yesterday and the agent said it was over the maximum distance and the only way to make it work would be to book a separate YYZ-ORD flight which is pretty expensive at the moment for my selected date.
Yes
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Is there suddenly a "maximum distance"?

I still don't entirely understand what metrics are being used in the new program to tell an acceptable routing from an unacceptable one.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YOWgary

I still don't entirely understand what metrics are being used in the new program to tell an acceptable routing from an unacceptable one.
But that one, specifically, is very reasonable.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YOWgary

Afaik AC management has previously confirmed that the "permitted mileage" roughly equals 200% of the non-stop distance in most cases, but there are no published rules and this is just a rough guideline. Based on my understanding / booking experience:

1) exceeding the non-stop distance by ~75% is pretty much never an issue.
2) there are very few itineraries where exceeding the non-stop distance by more than 100% is permitted (East Coast - Iceland via Europe would be the most common one).
Old Aug 17, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Afaik AC management has previously confirmed that the "permitted mileage" roughly equals 200% of the non-stop distance in most cases, but there are no published rules and this is just a rough guideline. Based on my understanding / booking experience:

1) exceeding the non-stop distance by ~75% is pretty much never an issue.
2) there are very few itineraries where exceeding the non-stop distance by more than 100% is permitted (East Coast - Iceland via Europe would be the most common one).
I tried to get them to book YYZ-ORD-FRA-KEF and it's a no. They will only do it if I book YYZ-ORD-FRA and then FRA-KEF separately which is ridiculous.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 7:24 am

I tried to get them to book YYZ-ORD-FRA-KEF and it's a no. They will only do it if I book YYZ-ORD-FRA and then FRA-KEF separately which is ridiculous.
YYZ-ORD-FRA-KEF comes out to 6,275 miles, which is well over double the 2,598 miles AC will fly direct when this route resumes next year.

If anything, this is a solid indication that the system isn't making exceptions for routes made unavailable by COVID or seasonal scheduling.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Is there YYZ-LHR-KEF?

Going west, then overshooting way east, is the problem.

Assuming there's a KEF-LON/PAR/something-west, there should be no issue booking YYZ-KEF.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Is there YYZ-LHR-KEF?

Going west, then overshooting way east, is the problem.

Assuming there's a KEF-LON/PAR/something-west, there should be no issue booking YYZ-KEF.
There are no non-stop *A options from KEF to anywhere west of Germany.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Has anyone gotten the CC Status Qualification Boost post recently? It's 1000 miles / 1 segment per every $5000 in spend for Premium cards and $10,000 for the regular cards. I had mine post like clockwork until June 10 (my billing date), but nothing for July or August. I have the CIBC Visa Infinite Privilege (bills are always paid in full each month).
Old Aug 18, 2021, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by yvr76
Has anyone gotten the CC Status Qualification Boost post recently? It's 1000 miles / 1 segment per every $5000 in spend for Premium cards and $10,000 for the regular cards. I had mine post like clockwork until June 10 (my billing date), but nothing for July or August. I have the CIBC Visa Infinite Privilege (bills are always paid in full each month).
I had mine post July 22 last. 1000 SQM/1 SQS for $5k spend.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 11:28 am

I just got mine.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Premium credit card showing in AC App

I had my CIBC Aeroplan Visa infinite upgraded to Infinite Privilege but it still shows as crdit card holder in AC app same as before. Card number is the same. Will it automatically update and give any benefits or do I need to do anything. As card number didn't change thought it may not update properly.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by folkart
I had my CIBC Aeroplan Visa infinite upgraded to Infinite Privilege but it still shows as crdit card holder in AC app same as before. Card number is the same. Will it automatically update and give any benefits or do I need to do anything. As card number didn't change thought it may not update properly.
The app shows Credit Card Holder for the Black cards too. Their systems will update automatically.
folkart likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
The app shows Credit Card Holder for the Black cards too. Their systems will update automatically.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.