Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

50% rebate on Aeroplan domestic awards for bookings by 1 July, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50% rebate on Aeroplan domestic awards for bookings by 1 July, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Not on a single ticket as it's cabotage.
Thanks. I'd also love to plan a 1-2 week vacation in Canada this fall, but at this point I'm far from confident that the borders will reopen by September/October.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by terencelai
Hawaii booked 🙌
just called, their support desk saying contenital US only, so no OGG, HNL
Did you end up cancelling that ticket then?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:01 am

We just had a late August cruise cancelled (no surprises there). So, we're looking to just get away for 7-10 days. I'm investigating options. We love to drive (live in Niagara, Ont, and have driven to Florida/SC/NC many times), but the borders being still closed in Aug is a real possibility. Booking a flight has no restrictions. My only concern is a mandatory 14 day quarantine upon return - but will that still be in effect 2 months from now... Ah, the dilemma I know many of us are in... But, this 50% sale is really tempting - YVR, SFO, LAX all have (had?) layflats.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:23 am

Presently does not state that on promo page or T&Cs. People may have booked (or will be booking) HNL/OGG online not knowing it's excluded (terencelai already booked) and will later find out they will not get 50% miles back. They should reflect "excludes Hawaii" or state "continental US only" in promo page and T&Cs. Although the last line in T&Cs may protect AC.

Last edited by mileageking; Jun 20, 2020 at 10:28 am
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite 35K
Originally Posted by jasdou
Did you end up cancelling that ticket then?
yes, canceled and refunded, no point to travel in this high risk era without some sort of incentives. What happened 😕 if I got covid alone with 14 days quarantine and not getting 50% miles back? I really 😢 would cry by the time.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
the Prince of Travel confirmed that Hawaii is included...do you think the support agent was mistaken? I know he is a website owner/blogger but not sure he would lie to his entire following.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by reggiekush
the Prince of Travel confirmed that Hawaii is included...do you think the support agent was mistaken? I know he is a website owner/blogger but not sure he would lie to his entire following.
"Confirmed" with whom? Did he actually ask Aeroplan, or did he just assume that it was included, as many here did?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
"Confirmed" with whom? Did he actually ask Aeroplan, or did he just assume that it was included, as many here did?
He did ask and they confirmed. Here is the link to where I saw all of this. It's at the bottom of this page in the comments section. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-...back-promotion
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite 35K
Originally Posted by reggiekush
He did ask and they confirmed. Here is the link to where I saw all of this. It's at the bottom of this page in the comments section. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-...back-promotion
The easiest way to tell, is there anyone booking Civic holiday getaway to Hawaii? If yes, 21 days from Civic holiday, would still fall in before August 31st deadline for free cancelation, and if someone did not get 50% miles back, please report back to our forum, so we can cancel without any loss. Booking before August 1st is out of question, because current mandatory 14 days entry quarantine is in effect until July 31st at least, if not extended.

Last edited by terencelai; Jun 20, 2020 at 1:13 pm
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Not on a single ticket as it's cabotage.
I was able to book a one way using points LGA-YYZ/YUL-ORD using multi-city search. Just need like 2 hours connecting time for it to work.
MaxVO and zappy312 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mileageking
Presently does not state that on promo page or T&Cs. People may have booked (or will be booking) HNL/OGG online not knowing it's excluded (terencelai already booked) and will later find out they will not get 50% miles back. They should reflect "excludes Hawaii" or state "continental US only" in promo page and T&Cs. Although the last line in T&Cs may protect AC.
I guarantee they'll argue that term if they change it. And I guarantee they won't care about people who already booked.

This wouldn't be the first, second, or even third COVID promotion term they've substantially modified part-way through.

The easiest way to tell, is there anyone booking Civic holiday getaway to Hawaii? If yes, 21 days from Civic holiday, would still fall in before August 31st deadline for free cancelation, and if someone did not get 50% miles back, please report back to our forum, so we can cancel without any loss. Booking before August 1st is out of question, because current mandatory 14 days entry quarantine is in effect until July 31st at least, if not extended.
The test subject would certainly have a loss. And you're making two assumptions I'm not convinced are accurate:
1. Free cancellation won't be extended again (though it's mostly irrelevant to this issue)
2. They'll actually do the rebate within 21 days.

Originally Posted by guessaaa
I was able to book a one way using points LGA-YYZ/YUL-ORD using multi-city search. Just need like 2 hours connecting time for it to work.
Okay, now I understand. You're using short-haul pricing for the savings. That's a short-haul "round trip", which prices at 15k in Y or 30k in J. There is no short-haul pricing on UA, so LGA-ORD would be 12.5k in Y or 25k in J. Therefore, with 50% off, this actually does come out as a savings of 5k (Y) or 10k (J).

However, you may be barred from check-in if either Amadeus is smarter than the old system, or if an agent notices. And I've seen them notice when they have no business of noticing, making me think something automated alerted them. I think the worst case scenario is they'd be forced to rebook you on UA, which is likely what you want anyway, EXCEPT this may disqualify you from the 50% off promotion, which will then require a huge fight. And based on experiences I've been having with Aeroplan lately (and seeing from others), it's not one I think you'll win without legal action.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:04 pm

The more I learn about this offer, the worse it looks compared to the alternatives. There are lots of "saver" type awards on the market, and none of them in NA charge fuel surcharges. The alternatives also have straight pricing and no games with "rebates". I suspect that CA intentionally complicated this offer to only appear competitive with the alternatives, while ending up wasting travelers both time and money.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:09 pm

Is there any way to book a business class award with a stopover and a route that has no business class? The online engine doesn't let me book YYZ-YVR-YYJ-YYZ as the YVR-YYJ route is economy only.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Schweden
Is there any way to book a business class award with a stopover and a route that has no business class? The online engine doesn't let me book YYZ-YVR-YYJ-YYZ as the YVR-YYJ route is economy only.
Bear in mind that the terms mention one-ways and round-trips, but not multi-city.

That being said, I have no idea what you're talking about. The availability calendar shows up because there's no J on YVR-YYJ, but if you scroll down, pick your YYZ-YVR, then you can change the dropdown from J to Y for the next leg, and easily piece together something like this:

Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:18 pm

Thanks, I just figured that I could change a leg to economy online. Damn, thanks for pointing out that multi-city isn't included. Now I'll have to debate whether to change up my flights to take advantage of the offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.