Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

50% rebate on Aeroplan domestic awards for bookings by 1 July, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50% rebate on Aeroplan domestic awards for bookings by 1 July, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2020, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Well we booked a vacation in Newfoundland in late August. Hopefully by then, its open for visitors. I guess 'tis the summer to see Canada!

This is risk free with free cancel, so whatever happens, happens.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 5:43 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
50% rebate! I just wish there was somewhere to go to.
My problem as well. I didn't book anything on the 20% promo either.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:07 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I just got an e-mail about this promo right now. Still not seeing it on the Aeroplan home page or the COVID-19 page though.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I just got an e-mail about this promo right now. Still not seeing it on the Aeroplan home page or the COVID-19 page though.
I see it after I log in.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Does the return need to complete by Oct15 or would Oct14-21 work (obviously booking return reward not two separates).

I don't see 50% of fees also... so much higher relative fee?
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I see it after I log in.
Interesting. Even after logging in, I see it nowhere. Not the COVID page, not the home page, not even after I click the link in the e-mail (which just takes me to the flight reward redemption page). Or when I go to book a flight. (On desktop now)
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Last edited by 24left; Oct 16, 2020 at 7:20 am
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:48 pm

Well I just rebooked the calf's trips to the dos. Those trips may not happen, but it's nice to know it's half the price.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Does the return need to complete by Oct15 or would Oct14-21 work (obviously booking return reward not two separates).
Travel must be completed by October 15, so no, that doesn't work. You could book two one-ways and get the lower price on the outbound.

I don't see 50% of fees also... so much higher relative fee?
Why would they lower the fees?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
A 50% rebate might be meaningful at reasonable redemption rates. But I just priced a round trip YYZ to MSY award in early October, for which I would be charged 50,000 miles + $300 taxes/fees. Net cost in miles after rebate would be 25,000, which is what I would pay if I used UA miles for the same flights instead via *A award.

Purchasing a revenue ticket instead would cost $328, including all taxes and fees. So spending 25,000 AP miles would only save me $28 over a revenue ticket for the same dates and itinerary.

Not impressed....
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyByNight
A 50% rebate might be meaningful at reasonable redemption rates. But I just priced a round trip YYZ to MSY award in early October, for which I would be charged 50,000 miles + $300 taxes/fees. Net cost in miles after rebate would be 25,000, which is what I would pay if I used UA miles for the same flights instead via *A award.

Purchasing a revenue ticket instead would cost $328, including all taxes and fees. So spending 25,000 AP miles would only save me $28 over a revenue ticket for the same dates and itinerary.

Not impressed....
You're comparing an Aeroplan J redemption to a Standard economy ticket. The Aeroplan ticket is fully refundable; revenue ticket is not. The Aeroplan ticket is in J. The revenue ticket is not. If you're quoting $300 in taxes/fees, you must not have any AC status, which means you'll have to pay full price for seat selection (or accept whatever you get at check-in), potentially pay for checked baggage, you won't have lounge access, etc...

It's apples and oranges.

If you don't think the J seat, lounge access, etc and $28 is worth 25K Aeroplan points, that's obviously up to you, but I don't think the value is nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:45 pm

I don't understand that at all. If it's 25k on UA, it's 25k on AC. They charge the same for AC metal within North America.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't understand that at all. If it's 25k on UA, it's 25k on AC. They charge the same for AC metal within North America.
I was wondering that, but I'm not familiar enough with UA's chart to make any statements. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I predict disaster for many who think an automatic 50% refund will be easy:

-Terms say must be all AC metal
-Thus far, all of my June/July bookings to or from the US have already been changed to UA metal into YYZ.
-Trend is likely to continue due to Covid/irops.
-Once a customer accepts a reroute without 100% AC metal, they will not be due this 50% Aeroplan refund
​​
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
I predict disaster for many who think an automatic 50% refund will be easy:

-Terms say must be all AC metal
-Thus far, all of my June/July bookings to or from the US have already been changed to UA metal into YYZ.
-Trend is likely to continue due to Covid/irops.
-Once a customer accepts a reroute without 100% AC metal, they will not be due this 50% Aeroplan refund
​​
You make a good point, but I would strongly argue that if I book all AC metal and they involuntarily change me to UA, that's not my problem and they still owe me the 50% back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.