Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vancouver25k
As of July 2022, MLLs appear to be largely back to normal operations.

Ordering to the table has been shut down, with most MLLs offering self-serve buffets similar to what was available pre-COVID.

Note that the EWR MLL has been permanently shut down as a result of changes/construction at EWR.

Showers
YYZ​​​​​​ int - closed (Aug 12. They claimed all showers closed at YYZ but I was only at int.)
YVR tb - open
YVR int - open
YUL int - open

Print Wikipost

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold

yyz international line at 0620. Opened 0615
Old Mar 16, 2022, 4:23 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by theranj

Brutal! I’d say that line is at least 50% credit card users.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by codfather
Brutal! I’d say that line is at least 50% credit card users.
Well the person in front of us had a lounge voucher which was domestic/transborder only... took forever for her to finally understand and leave. I do know a few families behind us didn't know if they had access with their credit card or not... I'm assuming no since I don't see them in here. ​​​​​​​And now our flight is delayed 3h40m. ​​​​​​​They also just announced the washrooms are closed for the next 30 minutes for maintenance, whatever that means​​​​​​​

Last edited by theranj; Mar 16, 2022 at 5:53 am
Old Mar 16, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Well the person in front of us had a lounge voucher which was domestic/transborder only... took forever for her to finally understand and leave. I do know a few families behind us didn't know if they had access with their credit card or not... I'm assuming no since I don't see them in here. ​​​​​​​And now our flight is delayed 3h40m.
​​​​​​​Wowza, that sounds like a gongshow.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Maybe it's time for 2 lines for the MLL...one for 50K and up, and one for credit cards and pass holders. Or 3, with one for SE, then status holders, then riff raff.

It's a brutal travel week with spring break. The mouth breathers are out in full force this week.
YYC3722 likes this.

Last edited by VoodooYYC; Mar 16, 2022 at 8:21 am
Old Mar 16, 2022, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
Maybe it's time for 2 lines for the MLL...one for 50K and up, and one for credit cards and pass holders. Or 3, with one for SE, then status holders, then riff raff.

It's a brutal travel week with spring break. The mouth breathers are out in full force this week.
Where do you place *G in that equation?
Old Mar 16, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Lufthansa solves this by having separate Business and Senator lounges. The Senator lounges are for high status, including *Gold. This would be a feasible option at the larger hubs, and could be accommodated in the existing footprint by having a separate entrance/reception for each. I'd have no issue with a priority entry lane, either.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by Stil
Line 1 - SE + Paid J
Line 2 - *G, 75K, 50K + Paid PE
Line 3 - 35K, Guest Passes, Credit Cards and other Riff raff
Stil likes this.

Last edited by VoodooYYC; Mar 21, 2022 at 5:51 am Reason: Clarification....added in Paid J & PE
Old Mar 16, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Having not flown through YYZ before, would all those folks waiting in line be departing international (non-US) pax?

For arriving international pax with connections, would they be funneled to either the domestic or trans-border MLL depending on final destination (ie, no mixing of arriving and departing pax in the international area)?
Old Mar 16, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I’d say that line is at least 50% gifted E50K people.
Bohemian1 and YYC3722 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Originally Posted by Stil
As I've suggested numerous times, use your zone number, because it doesn't require anything substantially different on their part. They could even grab signs from a gate to do it.

The only challenge is when you're flying non-AC. But I'd just throw all those people in zone 2, since they have to be J or *G anyway.

Originally Posted by YVR4Ever
Lufthansa solves this by having separate Business and Senator lounges. The Senator lounges are for high status, including *Gold. This would be a feasible option at the larger hubs, and could be accommodated in the existing footprint by having a separate entrance/reception for each. I'd have no issue with a priority entry lane, either.
The LH Group says *G is better than J. AC, proven through the existence of the Signature Suite, believes the opposite. So if they did something like this, it would either be along the lines of MLL (everyone) vs Cafe (zone 1+2; can't guest your whole family), or SQ, where the J lounge is strictly better than the *G lounge.

Line 1 - SE
Line 2 - *G, 75K, 50K
Line 3 - Riff raff
This basically follows zone number.
codfather likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
That lineup pic reminds me of the craptastic times pre-SSL when

1. There was a lineup to get in, and;
2. Once in, the only seat I got was on the ledge of the waterfall feature thingy by the entrance.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
That lineup pic reminds me of the craptastic times pre-SSL when

1. There was a lineup to get in, and;
2. Once in, the only seat I got was on the ledge of the waterfall feature thingy by the entrance.
As an SM in paid J, no less.

I've only personally encountered a line once, and 80% of the people in front of me had an SE tag, so there was no practical suggestion I had there.

But if I hit a real line with a bunch of suspected non-SEs or non-J pax, I would absolutely write in with a suggestion for multiple entry lines.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by canadiancow
As I've suggested numerous times, use your zone number, because it doesn't require anything substantially different on their part. They could even grab signs from a gate to do it.

The only challenge is when you're flying non-AC. But I'd just throw all those people in zone 2, since they have to be J or *G anyway.

The LH Group says *G is better than J. AC, proven through the existence of the Signature Suite, believes the opposite. So if they did something like this, it would either be along the lines of MLL (everyone) vs Cafe (zone 1+2; can't guest your whole family), or SQ, where the J lounge is strictly better than the *G lounge.

This basically follows zone number.
Doesn't follow Zone #. 50k and black CC holders are both zone 2, so that doesn't sort out the riff raff as defined above. Is anyone designated zone 3 entitled to lounge access without buying it or being gifted anyway? This is the international lounge per OP.
The only useful discriminator would be a separate Zone 1 line. Which I would agree with because it would include the paid J that Voodoo's system misses, unless they fall into Riff Raff which I would disagree with.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.

Last edited by FlY2XS; Mar 16, 2022 at 1:36 pm
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

I really like the idea with a priority entrance, based on boarding zones! No, need to invent the wheel 👍

I presume it would mostly be towards domestic and TB MLL? I can't seem to remember ever seeing a line for an int. MLL.

When it comes to Europen airlines, if there is a difference in lounge option they basically all favour FF over J passengers. The better lounge option is reserved for FF.
AY: Platinum wing (OW Emerald)
SK: Gold lounge (*G)
LH/LX/OS: Senator Lounge (*G)
BA: First Lounge (OW Emerald)
LO: Elite lounge (*G)
AF/KL: One lounge for all (ST elite+ and J)
I'll stop there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.