Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Miles Sales - May 7-15th 2020

Aeroplan Miles Sales - May 7-15th 2020

Old May 5, 2020, 1:47 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: YOW
Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 395
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Curious whether SE and/or SEMM are thinking about buying? I am quite low on miles, but also know once flying resumes I can earn quickly with COS, SE bonus and likely whatever other promotions will exist. I am kind of thinking about getting enough for a J to Europe.
I would be tempted - however with the uncertainty around when travel restrictions will be lifted combined with the Aeroplan relaunch, I just don't see this as a worthwhile risk/ "investment" at this time (for me). If I was 100% certain I could use them before the relaunch of Aeroplan, I would certainly buy some.
36902BRF, 24left and TheCanuckian like this.
martyYOW is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 1:54 pm
  #32  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,284
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Curious whether SE and/or SEMM are thinking about buying? I am quite low on miles, but also know once flying resumes I can earn quickly with COS, SE bonus and likely whatever other promotions will exist. I am kind of thinking about getting enough for a J to Europe.
I'm certainly thinking about it. I haven't made up my mind.
canadiancow is online now  
Old May 5, 2020, 1:56 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 7,995
Originally Posted by martyYOW
If I was 100% certain I could use them before the relaunch of Aeroplan.
You only need to worry about redeeming before the relaunch of Aeroplan.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
tracon is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 2:16 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,702
Originally Posted by tracon
You only need to worry about redeeming before the relaunch of Aeroplan.
In normal circumstances I'd agree but in the current situation it is hard to predict even a year or 18 months out where travel will be so the risk of having to cancel your travel is much higher than normal. I have redeemed six figures worth of points in past month for travel in late 2020 and early 2021 and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if all the trips end up not happening.

Last edited by 36902BRF; May 5, 2020 at 2:36 pm
36902BRF is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 3:09 pm
  #35  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 16,731
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Curious whether SE and/or SEMM are thinking about buying? I am quite low on miles, but also know once flying resumes I can earn quickly with COS, SE bonus and likely whatever other promotions will exist. I am kind of thinking about getting enough for a J to Europe.
I'm thinking about it. It's a good price for miles, and historically I've done far better, value-wise, than what can be had on the first tranche at ~1.4 cpm cost. Buying a bunch of miles here would also contribute towards the promo for the 25K MM-eligible miles, without me having to transfer over a bunch of Amex MR.

But like martyYOW and 36902BRF , I'm concerned about whether I'll be able to use them up in decent time. I'll have no problem redeeming them for something decent pretty quickly, but if that gets cancelled, I may end up getting back a bunch of points that are potentially worth less than they are now.

Originally Posted by Granite64
Mass devaluation inbound, sales like these are red flag.
The cow has already sort of made the point that this is a drop in the bucket, but just for some context, in 2018, the last full year in which Aimia owned Aeroplan, Aeroplan sold almost $1.3 billion of points. Most points are sold to financial partners and AC/*A partners at a bit over 1 cpm, so let's assume 1.5 cpm. That gets you to over 85 billion Aeroplan miles sold in the year. They had a bit over 2 years' sales outstanding as deferred revenue (effectively, unredeemed points) at YE18, meaning something like 175 billion Aeroplan points in circulation at that time. So adding 100MM more miles, or even 1B more miles, doesn't really move the needle. (Those numbers will have moved around a bit since then, obviously, but they weren't terribly volatile in the previous years, so they should be decent enough for illustrative purposes).

A devaluation may be coming when the new Aeroplan launches (whenever that ends up happening), but it won't have anything to do with this promo.
Adam Smith is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 3:38 pm
  #36  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 687
Will it be possible to know which bonus you get before you purchase the miles?
mcbg1 is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 3:43 pm
  #37  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 18,877
Email just arrived



24left is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 3:59 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 5,180
The price per mile looks good. Seems unwise to stockpile miles though when this was re-stated yesterday by AC:

"We’ll have a dynamic redemption structure but also a published chart for partner flights; (pushed back to Dec 2020)"

It says partner awards will still be fixed.. But tons of questions remain unanswered about the devaluation. (such as, if an itinerary starts or ends with an AC flight, will it use a dynamic $$$ structure or fixed structure).
​​​
imverge and Norcanair like this.

Last edited by expert7700; May 5, 2020 at 4:06 pm
expert7700 is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 4:06 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: YXE
Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
Posts: 123
And looks like they've already walked back the bonus miles earning towards the Travel at Home promotion...


Last edited by Norcanair; May 5, 2020 at 4:07 pm Reason: typo
Norcanair is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 4:42 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: トロント
Programs: IHG Gold
Posts: 4,817
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
In normal circumstances I'd agree but in the current situation it is hard to predict even a year or 18 months out where travel will be so the risk of having to cancel your travel is much higher than normal. I have redeemed six figures worth of points in past month for travel in late 2020 and early 2021 and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if all the trips end up not happening.
I am with you on this one..Have redeemed all my remaining points for long haul J trips in either late 2020 or Spring 2021. Who knows if they will take place. I was suppposed to be in Japan later this month and that notion has been discarded.

If I was sure I could book a long haul mini or similar in J, I would buy the points in a heart beat, but not going to do so this time around.

Hopefully when we put these COVID problems behind us, or at least on the back burner, there will be other opportunities for "deals". Here on FT we are obviously interested in flying, but a signinficant part of the general population is leery about flying at all. They have to entice those people back one way or the other. The other thing is a lot of the leisure market might be wiped out. Hard to book and pay for trips when you have lost your job, obtained mortgage relief or seen your small business fail.
unclepants, 36902BRF and 24left like this.
mapleg is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 5:07 pm
  #41  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM
Posts: 23,291
Originally Posted by mapleg
I am with you on this one..Have redeemed all my remaining points for long haul J trips in either late 2020 or Spring 2021. Who knows if they will take place. I was suppposed to be in Japan later this month and that notion has been discarded.
Exactly the problem, already stuck with hundreds of thousands of Aeroplan points moved over from AMEX for cancelled trips in 2020. No thanks to more Aeroplan with the upcoming devaluations fast approaching.
Admiral Ackbar and expert7700 like this.
rankourabu is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 6:51 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 315
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Exactly the problem, already stuck with hundreds of thousands of Aeroplan points moved over from AMEX for cancelled trips in 2020. No thanks to more Aeroplan with the upcoming devaluations fast approaching.
same. Close to 7 figures sitting here in AP miles from canceled trips. And who knows how long this will last
tbuff is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 6:53 pm
  #43  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 16,731
Originally Posted by Norcanair
And looks like they've already walked back the bonus miles earning towards the Travel at Home promotion...
What? As of the moment I'm posting this, it's still on the website, right below that image you posted:

As an Altitude member, when you register for Travel at Home, 50% of the Aeroplan Miles you purchase (including any bonus miles earned) will count towards helping you get to the next Air Canada Altitude status or reach Altitude Prestige 25K.


EDIT: I see. There are two slightly different versions. There's the page dedicated to the offer to purchase miles, which is linked upthread, then there's the Travel at Home homepage, which has the language you posted. Hopefully the former is correct.
Norcanair likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 5, 2020 at 7:09 pm
Adam Smith is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 8:11 pm
  #44  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chicago
Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Posts: 974
As someone who doesn’t use aeroplan miles to often. Does anyone have a best guess of what the cost to Europe in business class will be after air Canada takes over aeroplan. Because I still feel as though the value would be good if the cost stays quite reasonable <75k. What do you guys think?
united 1k flyer is offline  
Old May 5, 2020, 9:08 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: YXE
Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
Posts: 123
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I see. There are two slightly different versions. There's the page dedicated to the offer to purchase miles, which is linked upthread, then there's the Travel at Home homepage, which has the language you posted. Hopefully the former is correct.
Just dm'd AP on Twitter. Hope to get clarification before the 7th.
Adam Smith likes this.
Norcanair is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.