FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aeroplan Miles Sales - May 7-15th 2020
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2020, 4:42 pm
mapleg

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
In normal circumstances I'd agree but in the current situation it is hard to predict even a year or 18 months out where travel will be so the risk of having to cancel your travel is much higher than normal. I have redeemed six figures worth of points in past month for travel in late 2020 and early 2021 and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if all the trips end up not happening.
I am with you on this one..Have redeemed all my remaining points for long haul J trips in either late 2020 or Spring 2021. Who knows if they will take place. I was suppposed to be in Japan later this month and that notion has been discarded.

If I was sure I could book a long haul mini or similar in J, I would buy the points in a heart beat, but not going to do so this time around.

Hopefully when we put these COVID problems behind us, or at least on the back burner, there will be other opportunities for "deals". Here on FT we are obviously interested in flying, but a signinficant part of the general population is leery about flying at all. They have to entice those people back one way or the other. The other thing is a lot of the leisure market might be wiped out. Hard to book and pay for trips when you have lost your job, obtained mortgage relief or seen your small business fail.