Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Clean Care+ program

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
QUOTE:

Air Canada insists on temperature checks but that alone isn’t enough to deny boarding, they first ‘consult a medical professional’ at least. After all children and people with cancer can have slightly elevated temperatures.

Interesting article about temperature checks etc, relevant perhaps for those flying AC ex-USA:

"Government Temperature Checks By TSA Are A Bad Idea, Let Airlines Do It Themselves"

https://viewfromthewing.com/governme...it-themselves/
Old May 14, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
There are a couple of excellent papers out there on how Taiwan had set up much of this infrastructure after SARS 1.0. Similar developments in HKG. Further, some countries required anyone entering the country to download an app permitting tracking etc.

And of course, even with the EU's GDPR, there have been comments from some leaders that they want to look at this going forward.

Perhaps in Canada with the privacy legislation, there are some who don't want their info gathered or shared. Many don't have an issue with the government tacking, tracing or even taking temperatures. Considering all of the health records are stored by the provinces, they are not 100% private - or safe.

I think the issue is some people don't like the idea of Air Canada or its representatives (GAs, FAs), or airport employees, taking it upon themselves to be the determining factors in this new "Health Theatre", and deciding who can board a plane based on what the temperature gun says. These devices are not 100% accurate, body temperature fluctuates as we know, and some people run hot anyway. These new "temperature takers" are not qualified IMHO. Further, some wonder whether AC will be collecting this temperature data, where they may store it, what they may do with it.

I was not bothered by the HKIA security taking my temperature on both of my AC trips in February. It was all very civil and orderly.
But I was bothered by the behaviour of some of the cabin crews on 2 of the 4 flights.

As has been noted here by better posters than me, NONE of this "theatre" is going to ensure that AC employees or pax or airport workers are 100% non-contagious, given that people can be asymptomatic.

If nothing else, from my perspective and working background, this will all be fascinating to watch.
Having been through HKIA many times in the past few years, I am totally fine with having my temperature checked.

Our workplace currently has IR temperature checks at entry and a symptom questionnaire. While it is not foolproof, it will help identify potential staff at elevated risk that should not be there that day. Even if you swabbed every person coming in for COVID-19 assays, everyday, it still would not be foolproof. There was some skepticism for the checks from some at first, but it is now just part of the daily routine.

As such, I am okay with the temperature checks being done by AC or an airport authority.
cooleddie likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: AP SPG HH
"Originally Posted by Northern Canuck View Post
I think Clean Care+ is long overdue. The attached pic shows what my wife got on the lysol wipe she used to disinfect our area (arm rests, head rests, tray tables, screens) on a relativley new 787, AC967, BGI to YYZ on March 17th."
"Yikes. Are you sure your wife didn't use that wipe on a bike chain?"

Nope just her seat and tray table in rouge premium on March 17th just after the beginning of the covid crisis...
Even with AC's Clean Care+ no way we will trust AC to clean and disinfect our area. Lysol wipes are your friends. lol
Old May 15, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Isn't this all overlapping the other "dirty aircraft" thread?
I recall posting a similar image there.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31587594-post725.html
AC681 likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Source tweet

tcook052, jasdou and Aselwyn like this.
Old May 24, 2020, 7:31 am
zam

Clean Care+ Premium Economy

If AC is blocking middle seats in economy only, is the economy section offering more space than Premium Economy where you can be seated next to someone?
Old May 24, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by zam
If AC is blocking middle seats in economy only, is the economy section offering more space than Premium Economy where you can be seated next to someone?
Economy only.
Old May 24, 2020, 8:10 am
zam

That's why I'm asking why anyone would want to be seated in PE.
Old May 24, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by zam
That's why I'm asking why anyone would want to be seated in PE.
Then with that logic why would anyone want to be seated in anything other than International J? Domestic J is the same as PE.
Old May 24, 2020, 4:00 pm

I flew yesterday on AC 115, YYZ to YVR. There were no temperature checks for me or for anyone else, as far as I could see (and I probably saw ~30 people board ahead of me).

I found this interesting since Air Canada's page on temperature checks is actually quite definitive:

"Customers (including children) on Air Canada flights will be subject to an infrared temperature check. This non-contact procedure will be performed in the context of the existing government-mandated health questionnaire currently completed by travellers. Temperature checks are an additional layer of safety screening as fever is a common COVID-19 symptom.
Old May 28, 2020, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
For those unhappy with the social distancing measures as currently implemented by AC, this short article from Aviation Week may be interesting. The conclusion is that the air filters and air flow in the cabin make it unlikely for COVID-19 to be transmitted during a flight.

A key quote:

[T]here have been some known cases of people boarding airliners for long flights and it later being discovered they were infected with COVID-19 before they boarded, but follow up tracing has seen no cases of transmission to other passengers.
(And these incidents were before airlines started blocking middle seats, requiring face masks, etc)

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 28, 2020 at 12:40 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:28 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Temperature checks can also be defeated by someone with a fever by taking Tylenol or Advil beforehand, even if it's not intentionally to defeat the check - e.g. for a headache, muscle pains, sore throat, etc.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by AwardBee
Temperature checks can also be defeated by someone with a fever by taking Tylenol or Advil beforehand, even if it's not intentionally to defeat the check - e.g. for a headache, muscle pains, sore throat, etc.
Yes, this is a measure solely designed to restore confidence amongst customers, even though asymptomatic people can carry and transmit covid-19. It's all for show.
We experience enduring 'security theatre' following 9/11, let's hope this 'healthcare theatre' doesn't last beyond the widespread introduction of a vaccine.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Are there situations where one would have a fever, and it would be a good idea to fly?

If a temperature check adds minimal cost or hassle, and will catch people who shouldn't fly (for their own safety, or for others' safety), then I don't see much harm in continuing it, even if it doesn't catch everyone.

But if it adds substantial cost or hassle, or would flag people who are safe to fly, then I also hope it goes away.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
On the AC website, it says that only “minimal cabin baggage” should be brought on board. What does this mean? For the record, I don’t intend to take more than a carry on and personal item, even though J pax are usually allowed to bring 2 full size carry ons and 2 personal items. I have an overnight layover and my bags will probably be checked through, and a small personal item isn’t enough for my laptop, cables, clothes, toiletries etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.