Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Virtual AC Do - Every Saturday until after COVID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
Where: On your computing device. Anything with a Zoom client. https://zoom.us/download - You probably want "Zoom Client for Meetings" or "Zoom Mobile Apps".

When: Saturday April 13 2024 @ 1700 PDT / 2000 EDT / 2130 NDT - We will likely go quite late, typically ending after 0100 PDT.

The link will be the same every week. We don't need a list, many people will be here. Just add your name if you want the link PM'd to you around 1630 PDT before the do.

Suggestion: Please include your forum handle (and optionally your name) when logging onto Zoom.

Please send me the same link as last week:
canadiancalf
Print Wikipost

Virtual AC Do - Every Saturday until after COVID

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Sorry that I missed the Do last night, I hope a good time was had by all.

I find myself often out of town or with family on the weekends, so it is difficult for me to attend as frequently. I will continue to join whenever I am at home and able to, as it is great to see everyone and have a chat.

On another note, I ordered an ADS-B a few days after our conversation on the Do last Saturday. It is scheduled to get here by the end of October, so I will soon be tracking all the TATL and local ops flying within 200 miles of my house. Hopefully, the setup isn't too complicated, but Flight Aware seems to have a pretty good guide.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by codfather
....On another note, I ordered an ADS-B a few days after our conversation on the Do last Saturday. It is scheduled to get here by the end of October, so I will soon be tracking all the TATL and local ops flying within 200 miles of my house. Hopefully, the setup isn't too complicated, but Flight Aware seems to have a pretty good guide.
Exciting!!!
Old Oct 18, 2020, 10:19 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
On another note, I ordered an ADS-B a few days after our conversation on the Do last Saturday. It is scheduled to get here by the end of October, so I will soon be tracking all the TATL and local ops flying within 200 miles of my house. Hopefully, the setup isn't too complicated, but Flight Aware seems to have a pretty good guide.
And if it doesn't work, you can contact your local tech support. At least I think Pennsylvania is somewhere near Newfoundland.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
And if it doesn't work, you can contact your local tech support. At least I think Pennsylvania is somewhere near Newfoundland.
The longer story is:

@12yroldsuperelite set ours up in 30min last week despite:

1) I repeatedly told him it was a waste of time and not to bother yet.
2) We did not have a mini HDMI display cable for the PiZero
3) We don't have a home router, so he had to find a different way to see what IP address the PiZero got
4) We packed and lost our 25ft antenna-to-Flightaware dongle cable months ago
​​​5) We don't have the right F-male to N-male coax adapter to plug into our new Flightaware dongle.
6) He made this all work on our 2015 unbranded ADS dongle, that I tried to do for hours, meaning my purchase last Saturday was completely unnecessary.
​​
I guess he earned his keep. He can do onsite tech support for @codfather. He will arrive as an unaccompanied minor with paperwork as an essential worker. Does this make him exempt from CA quarantine and the Atlantic bubble?
​​​​​​
Old Oct 19, 2020, 3:37 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by expert7700
The longer story is:

@12yroldsuperelite set ours up in 30min last week despite:

1) I repeatedly told him it was a waste of time and not to bother yet.
2) We did not have a mini HDMI display cable for the PiZero
3) We don't have a home router, so he had to find a different way to see what IP address the PiZero got
4) We packed and lost our 25ft antenna-to-Flightaware dongle cable months ago
​​​5) We don't have the right F-male to N-male coax adapter to plug into our new Flightaware dongle.
6) He made this all work on our 2015 unbranded ADS dongle, that I tried to do for hours, meaning my purchase last Saturday was completely unnecessary.
​​
I guess he earned his keep. He can do onsite tech support for @codfather. He will arrive as an unaccompanied minor with paperwork as an essential worker. Does this make him exempt from CA quarantine and the Atlantic bubble?
​​​​​​
It’s worth a shot I guess?
Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:26 am

It’s worth a shot I guess?
IIRC, follow the instructions for putting your WiFi Access Point SSID and password in the config file after you burn your PiAware image and you won't need the HDMI cable. Or just get @12yearoldsuperelite to burn an SD card for you and mail / fly it to you.

I think IT is considered an essential service. Or he can just say he's with NAVCAN.
expert7700 and codfather like this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm going to be on a plane until about 1745, so I either need someone to join right now and become host, or it'll have to wait until then to start.

Edit: got someone
Bohemian1, YYC3722 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Impromptu Tuesday November 3 do. Can't post the topic here.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I am on.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 11:56 am

After I left the chat last night, I realized that this LP had played out almost 2 hours earlier and was still madly spinning away:

The morning after ...

Luckily, this was not a disc that had music recorded in the locked groove or Ms. Boh would have not been sleeping. And that would be bad.

To think I used to take pride in how I cared for my vinyl. The things that FT drives me to do. Or not do.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC 75k
In my best little brother whinge:
Is there a "do" tonight? Too late to join?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:03 pm

Big sister answer: Did you even bother to TRY signing in?! Have you even been to a do?! Of course we're here.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 12:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Nice to meet FlY2XS last night
Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:13 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Thx, it was great to put faces and voices to folks. An open Saturday evening is a rare thing for me, so I am glad I could drop in. Only downside was feeling old. Was it Bohemian dropped by to add a touch of grey but didn't stay long? Also made me realize my webcam was in mirror image when I flashed a bassakwards Mill St. brewery hoodie. Seems normal when you usually see your own face in a mirror and I am not usually in labelled apparel for work calls so I never noticed.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:28 am
Original Poster

You see it mirrored, but we do not.
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.