Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Virtual AC Do - Every Saturday until after COVID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
Where: On your computing device. Anything with a Zoom client. https://zoom.us/download - You probably want "Zoom Client for Meetings" or "Zoom Mobile Apps".

When: Saturday April 13 2024 @ 1700 PDT / 2000 EDT / 2130 NDT - We will likely go quite late, typically ending after 0100 PDT.

The link will be the same every week. We don't need a list, many people will be here. Just add your name if you want the link PM'd to you around 1630 PDT before the do.

Suggestion: Please include your forum handle (and optionally your name) when logging onto Zoom.

Please send me the same link as last week:
canadiancalf
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I've had enough of this social distancing. Let's have a do.

Saturday March 28 2020 @ 1700 PST / 2000 EST.

Zoom will be used, and we'll post a link here when we have one.

------- Original Post: -------

We'll use something like Zoom for video conferencing. Other than that, it should be just like any normal do. Grab a chair, grab a beverage, and discuss AC, flying, current AC flying topics (cough cough), or anything else.

Things I need:

1. I need to find a video conferencing system that accepts more than 10 participants with no time limit and no stupid enterprise pricing system. I'm leaning towards jitsi from a brief look, either with their free hosting, or I can spin up an EC2 instance and donate a few tens of cents to the cause. But I'm very open to suggestions. It needs to work on Windows/Mac/Android/iOS at a minimum.

2. What days of week work best for people?

3. What time of day works best? Personally, it can't interfere with a normal 9-5 M-F work schedule. And it needs to be early enough that east coasters (and I mean YYT, not YYZ) can join for a bit.

4. Do we need any rules for having a venue like this? I have some slight concerns in mind, so I was thinking about requiring participants to have their camera on. No lurkers.

Today at 5pm works quite well for me, but I don't know if that's too last-minute. Though we could always make this a weekly event for the time being.

Last edited by canadiancow; Mar 22, 2020 at 2:45 pm
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Today won't work, but I like the idea.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:44 pm

You mean I can’t lurk and stalk you people? :P
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I used Microsoft Teams for the first time yesterday and it worked quite well. The free version is good for 300 people. Not sure if it works on Mac or mobile devices.
expert7700, dudestir and YYC3722 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I used Microsoft Teams for the first time yesterday and it worked quite well. The free version is good for 300 people. Not sure if it works on Mac or mobile devices.
Works good on iOS and Android. There is a Web browser client as well so I'd assume that at least can be used on Macs.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
We use Teams at work. I use it on macOS and iOS.

The main downside that I can think of is that there is no "gallery" mode. You can't see more than 4 or 5 people at the same time.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
In the past week, we've used Skype, WebEx, Teams, and Zoom at work. My personal ranking of the quality and ease of use is
  1. Zoom
  2. Teams
  3. WebEx
  4. Skype
We had a Zoom meeting with 200 participants on Thursday, with no dropouts or losses.
visitor likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Zoom is key.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Okay. We've discussed the tech. Now about about the other 3 questions
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:17 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
2. What days of week work best for people?
Any one ending in Y.

3. What time of day works best? Personally, it can't interfere with a normal 9-5 M-F work schedule. And it needs to be early enough that east coasters (and I mean YYT, not YYZ) can join for a bit.
Doesn't matter to me.

4. Do we need any rules for having a venue like this? I have some slight concerns in mind, so I was thinking about requiring participants to have their camera on. No lurkers.
Cameras on sounds good. I would also not post the details on how to connect online, PM or e-mail only.

Also, how do we keep this from turning in to a lecture where one person is talking and 20 people are listening because we can't break off in to smaller groups the way it usually happens in person?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:34 pm

Count me in.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
  1. I have a Zoom account if we need to use it. I think I could post a link here for people to join at the scheduled time. I could make it recurring on a weekly basis for a period of time.
  2. Any weeknight for me.
  3. To help out the west coaster, perhaps we start at something like 8:00 PM Eastern.
  4. Rules: I prefer camera on but not overly fussed. I don't think we'll be able to easily put up our handles. I'd suggest if we get a big group that you mute yourself unless you are saying something just to minimize background noise.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Also, how do we keep this from turning in to a lecture where one person is talking and 20 people are listening because we can't break off in to smaller groups the way it usually happens in person?
Originally Posted by The Lev
Rules: I prefer camera on but not overly fussed. I don't think we'll be able to easily put up our handles. I'd suggest if we get a big group that you mute yourself unless you are saying something just to minimize background noise.
Yeah, this is one of the bigger issues I see. Even at something like 8 people, it might become quite difficult to have a conversation.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I'm down !
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Also down. Weekends work best. Zoom is my preferred medium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.