Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

COVID-Related Flight Pass Extensions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-Related Flight Pass Extensions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2020, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
How hard would it be for AC to write something that would comb through the list of passes that hadn't expired but that had zero credits remaining with no unflown flights and stop extending those? I wonder whether it was too difficult or they just decided not to bother (whether for cost reasons or otherwise).
I suspect it's a little more complicated, because you could have booked but unflown credits, and there are other scenarios where a 10 credit pass may have 11 credits, etc. So it's probably just not wroth the effort.

I'd be happy if they just hid FPs with no available credits by default (or some other reasonable filter). I have 4 FPs right now, and numbers 1 and 4 are completely used up, so it's not even like the usable ones are at the top. In the app, it looks like it may actually be alphabetical based on the name I picked when I bought them. Even just putting the ones that say "Credit limit reached!" at the bottom of the list would satisfy me.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 5:35 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
How hard would it be for AC to write something that would comb through the list of passes that hadn't expired but that had zero credits remaining with no unflown flights and stop extending those? I wonder whether it was too difficult or they just decided not to bother (whether for cost reasons or otherwise).
Very hard
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:26 pm
RZR

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You should still be able to purchase an extension.

I also wouldn't begin to worry about FPs that don't expire for over 12 months. They extended them based on the situation at the time of the extension. If no one's flying in October, I'd expect another extension.
I also wouldn;t worry to much since it's your employer who purchase the passes.
It will be interesting to see what they do if this drags on.
Any flying I do this year will be with Aeropesos... since status is rolled over, it;s a good way to brun miles.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by RZR
???

No it isn't.
folkart likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:43 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by RZR
Where's a "dislike" function when I need it? Many of us purchase FPs with our own money.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 5:23 am
RZR

I know many of us do. I was refering specrifically to post 78
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:09 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Unbelievably, my unlimited pass expiring at the end of March is now showing an expiry date of July 31..
So further to this story, I booked some flights in June right away after this extension...I wasn't able to actually take them, (YHZ do and a trip to EWR on the dreamliner). Anyway, somehow AC updated the expiration date of my pass to June 30th instead of July 31, not sure if that's because they introduced the pause function for UFPs, but I had already made some bookings...

So on the 29th of June I decided to email about pausing or extending it. AC replied within hours that my pass had been extended to July 31. I was impressed, but the pass really isn't as valuable to me as it was pre-covid, and I get no AQM or AQD for the extra 4 months of free flying I've enjoyed (in which I've barely flown.)
Old Jul 10, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Is there any word on further extension of flight passes ? Not unlimited just the 6-8-20 passes for say Ontario to Florida?
mine were set to expire Dec 31 2020 and some Jan 31 2021. All have been extended to April 2021 I believe and not that it’s Air Canada’s fault but even using them by then with the current climate and the 14 day return quarantine makes them next to useless
I can always pay the $300 and extend them by another 3 months but that’s just throwing good money after bad 😂😂
Old Jul 10, 2020, 10:43 am

Mine have all been extended to Sep 30 2021, so they don't expire for over 14 months. Which is pretty good because I bought them 8 months ago and they're only supposed to last 12.

I wouldn't spend time worrying about this until you're actually at risk of losing credits.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Southwest Pass extended

My SW pass has also been extended to Sep 30 2021. Original expiry January 2021. I expect it may be extended again if travel to USA is restricted late in 2020. Given my US travel is mostly to Arizona I will wait for a vaccine...
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:47 am

Mine have all been extended to Sep 30 2021, so they don't expire for over 14 months. Which is pretty good because I bought them 8 months ago and they're only supposed to last 12.

I wouldn't spend time worrying about this until you're actually at risk of losing credits.
thank you !! I’ll wait and worry next year. I guess there’s enough to worry about
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:51 am

im such an idiot. I just rechecked refreshed then and yes they too are extended till end of Sept 2021
thank you
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:23 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I see my SW Latitude pass has also been extended to September 2021. But given what a disaster the US is, I wonder whether AC might, at some point, allow us to convert unused FP credits to other FPs or to the new voucher/gift card. I would much rather have that than yet another extension.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Eastern Canada/Europe

I didn’t receive any email notification but upon checking I see that both of my Eastern Canada/Europe flight passes have been extended to 30/9/21 as well, I’m trusting that one might still buy the 3 month extension (so to 31/12/21 on top of that as well.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
My Southwestern and Western USA flight passes have been similarly extended to September 2021. I have no idea when I'll actually get to use the remaining credits with the way things are going in the states. But, at least there's plenty of time until anyone of us have to worry about expiry.
aircrashsurvivor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.