Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Will Air Canada Cancel a Reservation if I Buy Two Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Air Canada Cancel a Reservation if I Buy Two Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:15 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CaiusJuliusCeasar
Interesting. I have 25k, but I try to avoid calling them at all cost... I just thought of something: My SO is on family sharing, so what about her making the second booking ? It will be the same 3 people flying, but it would be booked under a different account holder. Would that do the trick ?
Someone upthread suggested making sure there are no Aeroplan numbers on the bookings, but it's unclear whether that's a viable solution.

The only way to know for sure is to make the second booking and see whether it gets flagged.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Generally speaking, if AC thinks it would be impossible to take the flights, they'll be flagged.

So even if there's no time overlap, if it would require you to get from BKK to YUL in 4 hours, the system would likely flag it.

They've also flagged some bookings that are technically flyable. But if they're definitely not flyable, expect one to be cancelled.

They use name, DOB, etc., so just not having an Aeroplan number isn't going to make much difference.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
It is an interesting question though ... if one flight is on March 2nd, and the other is on March 4th, it sounds like those should both be absolutely flyable. The question is likely whether or not AC's code makes the bold assumption that they have complete visibility into all aspects of your travel plans, and whether or not they assume ("know") if you're flying from BKK back to YUL on March 3rd (conceivably with another carrier)
Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Generally speaking, if AC thinks it would be impossible to take the flights, they'll be flagged.

So even if there's no time overlap, if it would require you to get from BKK to YUL in 4 hours, the system would likely flag it.
"Generally speaking" and "likely" being the key words. I have, at times, held three completely conflicting bookings and not had any of them flagged.

Originally Posted by canopus27
It is an interesting question though ... if one flight is on March 2nd, and the other is on March 4th, it sounds like those should both be absolutely flyable. The question is likely whether or not AC's code makes the bold assumption that they have complete visibility into all aspects of your travel plans, and whether or not they assume ("know") if you're flying from BKK back to YUL on March 3rd (conceivably with another carrier)
One of the really crappy parts about this terrible system is that not only can it flag things that are technically flyable, but it can flag them even when you have all the bookings in place to actually fly the "duplicate" routing. Even if @CaiusJuliusCeasar were to book a return BKK-YUL trip in between the two YUL-BKKs, with perfectly legal connections between the PNRs on both ends, it might still be flagged as duplicate.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
YUL-VIE-BKK departing March 2 arrives in BKK at 1520 local on March 4. I can't find a YUL-FRA-HKT on March 4, but there's definitely not enough time to get back.

So it's not flyable.

Personally, I have no issue with AC disallowing this, but they really need to update the tariff.

Also, one thing to consider is that AC might only be looking at conflicts on AC-operated flights. Or possibly on AC-operated PNRs.

There is a chance they wouldn't catch this if one PNR is entirely operated by OS.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:06 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat

They've also flagged some bookings that are technically flyable. But if they're definitely not flyable, expect one to be cancelled.

They use name, DOB, etc., so just not having an Aeroplan number isn't going to make much difference.
canadiancow Do you know if the detection & cancellation mechanism is fully AI or is there any human involvement at any point in the process? Just wondering whether subjective interpretation of the routes/flights by a human may be warranted in instances where the issue is not glaringly obvious as in same day/same flight dupe tickets.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Far Siren
canadiancow Do you know if the detection & cancellation mechanism is fully AI or is there any human involvement at any point in the process? Just wondering whether subjective interpretation of the routes/flights by a human may be warranted in instances where the issue is not glaringly obvious as in same day/same flight dupe tickets.
I'm 99% sure it's all automated.

And in this case, there's nothing subjective. It would be impossible to fly both bookings.

To a computer, it IS glaringly obvious. If both flights are airborne at the same time, or you land in SYD 5 hours before departing from LON, a human might not recognize it due to time zone differences, but a computer has no trouble figuring that out.

I had a close one (I probably mentioned upthread) where I had something like YYZ-YUL and YYZ-YVR on separate bookings, but there was a good 6 hours between them, and one of them was cancelled. With flight schedules at the time, I can't recall if it was possible to fly back in time for YYZ-YVR. Maybe not on AC, but I think it was possible on WS, and certainly possible in theory.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:25 pm

Also, one thing to consider is that AC might only be looking at conflicts on AC-operated flights. Or possibly on AC-operated PNRs.

There is a chance they wouldn't catch this if one PNR is entirely operated by OS.
I've had a PNR cancelled where the conflict was between a UA flight and an AC one, so they're not looking only for conflicts on AC-operated flights.

But both PNRs did have some AC metal on them, so the latter is still possible.

canadiancowDo you know if the detection & cancellation mechanism is fully AI or is there any human involvement at any point in the process? Just wondering whether subjective interpretation of the routes/flights by a human may be warranted in instances where the issue is not glaringly obvious as in same day/same flight dupe tickets.
Fully automatic (not sure AI is the right term) and doesn't seem to be a way for a human to override it. I've tried. Several times, with concierges I consider to be skilled and diligent working the problem.

But the booking will be flagged by a computer and cancelled by a computer without a human ever seeing it, let alone touching it.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 5:37 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Fully automatic (not sure AI is the right term) and doesn't seem to be a way for a human to override it. I've tried. Several times, with concierges I consider to be skilled and diligent working the problem.

But the booking will be flagged by a computer and cancelled by a computer without a human ever seeing it, let alone touching it.
I've had cancelled tickets reinstated by an agent before.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 5:49 pm

I've had cancelled tickets reinstated by an agent before.
That's hit or miss. But even if they reinstate it, unless you cancel the other booking, it's just going to get cancelled again.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy
YUL-VIE-BKK departing March 2 arrives in BKK at 1520 local on March 4. I can't find a YUL-FRA-HKT on March 4, but there's definitely not enough time to get back.

So it's not flyable.

Personally, I have no issue with AC disallowing this, but they really need to update the tariff.

Sorry YUL-FRA-HKT is on march 5th. Thank you guys for all the help. With the uncertainty on Thailand entry measures, I've decided to let go OS J YUL-VIE-BKK and fly directly to HKT even if the FRA-HKT segment is Y.. I'll avoid taking the risk to see a booking get cancelled. BTW Canadiancow, your API is magnificient and incredibly useful. Thanks for that, I think you saved me about a month time in the last year looking at the AC spinning plane when using its search engine
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
Last year I had the same itinerary booked 3 days in a row. They cancelled day 3 but left day 1 and day 2. Whatever the rules, don't expect much consistency.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:28 pm

Sorry YUL-FRA-HKT is on march 5th. Thank you guys for all the help. With the uncertainty on Thailand entry measures, I've decided to let go OS J YUL-VIE-BKK and fly directly to HKT even if the FRA-HKT segment is Y.. I'll avoid taking the risk to see a booking get cancelled.
If you're going to make the second booking and are okay with losing the first, might as well not cancel the first. Book the second and see what happens. If you have spare time, call AC and see whether it's flagged. Or, if you're comfortable, send me your PNR and I'll look in to whether it gets flagged as a duplicate.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
If you're going to make the second booking and are okay with losing the first, might as well not cancel the first. Book the second and see what happens. If you have spare time, call AC and see whether it's flagged. Or, if you're comfortable, send me your PNR and I'll look in to whether it gets flagged as a duplicate.
Already made the changes... I thought about doing what you said and get an interesting DP but again, I didn't want my new booking to get cancelled and not being able to book it again (unlikely, but 3 J seats are tough to get).

Which made me think about something: let's say you have "refundable with a fee" class booking. If you want to avoid the fee, you could just use the current free modification policy to book a latitute or flex booking and cancel afterward for free ?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:06 pm

Already made the changes... I thought about doing what you said and get an interesting DP but again, I didn't want my new booking to get cancelled and not being able to book it again (unlikely, but 3 J seats are tough to get).
For future reference, when a PNR gets marked as duplicate, there is a deadline by which to address it. The duplicate will not be cancelled before then. The deadline varies depending on how far out the flight is. For a flight two months in the future, you would have had several days to see how this played out before you would have had to worry about a booking being cancelled.

Which made me think about something: let's say you have "refundable with a fee" class booking. If you want to avoid the fee, you could just use the current free modification policy to book a latitute or flex booking and cancel afterward for free ?
No. The non-refundable portion stays non-refundable. And, to try to keep this thread on topic, you can't use a duplicate booking to force refund of a non-refundable booking either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.