Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: codfather

Print Wikipost

The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Nor only did my Aeroplan number not bring up all my bookings, but the app lost them all when I put my phone in airplane mode. And wouldn’t get any back until I had connectivity. And AC wifi does not provide connectivity for free with the new app (I thought it did with the old) at least not on international flights.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by ridefar
AC wifi does not provide connectivity for free with the new app (I thought it did with the old) at least not on international flights.
I noticed the same on a domestic flight. The old app definitely worked with free AC wifi
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I was sure I read in a post that the app was not yet final, that other features would be added in time.

I agree with the posters above. The AC website worked for free when wifi was working on several of my international flights. It's often a feature with many airlines. IMHO, the app should work this way as well.

Also, when I first downloaded the new app, I added one trip to see how things worked. I found the app was not intuitive and required multiple clicks to view the flight info etc. In the old app, all flights on the entire PNR appeared on the same page and you could scroll down. Why would I want to click 2, 4 or more times for each trip?

Then I decided to sign into Aeroplan and yes, it loaded the various trips. However, once signed out, all of the trips disappeared from view. Yet, before signing in, when I added a PNR manually, the trip I had loaded was always available.

Did the app team design this app so you always have to be signed in to view a trip?

I haven't yet tested other things but if the flow and features I need are not easily viewable and available, I'd just rather use the website on my phone - which in my experiences, has been far better to checking in and getting ALL BPs for a multi-sector trip. This never worked well or at all on the old app.

And to re-iterate, I agree for the need to have the app or at the very least the website, to be available for free with inflight wifi.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
I am waiting a bit before passing final judgement as I'm quite curious how it will function once the res system switches over.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
Obviously, after Tuesday, some missing features will become available. Why implement something needed for only a few days e.g. Seat preview? The new version release date is aligned with the Amadeus go live.

I ran into check-in issue this morning with the new app. It happened to me once with the beta as well. I couldn't get to the last step and get my BP. Got an error saying check-in has failed. I had to use the mobile version instead and it worked. I can understand missing feature for a few days but something as critical as check-in not working properly is unacceptable.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
With respect to the app (not) working on Gogo, I can assure you that not all parts of the old app did either.

I don't have Charles or Burp in front of me right now, but I suspect the app is hitting some domain that hasn't been whitelisted.

Email them feedback. They'll fix it.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
With respect to the app (not) working on Gogo, I can assure you that not all parts of the old app did either.

I don't have Charles or Burp in front of me right now, but I suspect the app is hitting some domain that hasn't been whitelisted.

Email them feedback. They'll fix it.

I did. I figured it was just using different ports than the old app and therefore getting blocked. Either way I am sure they will address it.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
App hasn't updated any flight info in the last 42 mins. Kind of negates the benefit of seeing if your upgrade cleared or when the inbound is going to land if none of that info is available.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
App hasn't updated any flight info in the last 42 mins. Kind of negates the benefit of seeing if your upgrade cleared or when the inbound is going to land if none of that info is available.
If you pull up the upgrade list it should fetch the most current data.

Bear in mind upgrades clear 5 minutes after the check-in cutoff.

As for the inbound, are you not able to just click the track inbound option? I've been using it all weekend with no issues.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you pull up the upgrade list it should fetch the most current data.

Bear in mind upgrades clear 5 minutes after the check-in cutoff.

As for the inbound, are you not able to just click the track inbound option? I've been using it all weekend with no issues.
Affirm to all of those. The app failed to update for over an hour.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Any chance they'll also bring back the day-and-hour (or -minute if less than one hour) countdown to the next flight after they switch to Amadeus? Now I can only tell my friends "I'm going to Tokyo in 23 days" instead of "I'm going to Tokyo in 23 days 11 hours."
BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

The only thing I do like the new app better is that now I can easily check the status of the upcoming flight of the upcoming flight of the upcoming flight of the upcoming flight.
I briefly tried how far it would allow me to trace back and was stopped at two days before this dinosaur was hit by a fire ball.
Please pardon the giant screenshots.

Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:40 pm
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Well, joy. I have a fire HD 8 I bought last year that I use as my main device on planes, runs Netflix and Spotify like a charm. Old app ran perfectly fine on it, new app marked as incompatible on play store (and is not in Amazon's store either) so I can't install it. Opening the old app throws out a message to upgrade.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by ecc
Well, joy. I have a fire HD 8 I bought last year that I use as my main device on planes, runs Netflix and Spotify like a charm. Old app ran perfectly fine on it, new app marked as incompatible on play store (and is not in Amazon's store either) so I can't install it. Opening the old app throws out a message to upgrade.
Can you side load on a fire? The new app should be up on apkmirror by now.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:40 am

Two more buggy items:

1) When I open the app and select an icon, it closes the app. Re-open it and it behaves as expected;

2) The Book feature doesn't bring up any flights. It just spins away searching instead.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
I put in all upcoming flights 11 in total . When it refreshes only 6 are left
Old app kept all flights even those that I was tracking for my wife .
And yes the old app was much easier to use

PLEASE give us back the old APP or rehire the team that put it together

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.