Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Reliable is ExpertFlyer?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:51 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Interesting.

I did once have a time where the agent tried to tell me P=0 even though EF told me P=1. She told me that EF wasn't up to date. I told her I could also purchase a P fare on the website. She told me it was phantom availability, the website didn't have the latest inventory (she said the same of EF) and that it would error out before I could purchase. So I purchased it, it went through, and she agreed to go talk to NRD. After talking to them for a bit, they figured it out and got the upgrade done. I don't know exactly what they did, but it worked out, which was all that mattered to me.

Have you tried to see whether you can actually purchase the flight in question in P?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Interesting.

I did once have a time where the agent tried to tell me P=0 even though EF told me P=1. She told me that EF wasn't up to date. I told her I could also purchase a P fare on the website. She told me it was phantom availability, the website didn't have the latest inventory (she said the same of EF) and that it would error out before I could purchase. So I purchased it, it went through, and she agreed to go talk to NRD. After talking to them for a bit, they figured it out and got the upgrade done. I don't know exactly what they did, but it worked out, which was all that mattered to me.

Have you tried to see whether you can actually purchase the flight in question in P?
How do I search for a specific fare class on AC.com?

If I just search for this flight and select ‘Business Lowest’, it gives me a Z fare.

So perhaps EF is indeed wrong in this case?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:00 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by capedreamer
How do I search for a specific fare class on AC.com?

If I just search for this flight and select ‘Business Lowest’, it gives me a Z fare.

So perhaps EF is indeed wrong in this case?
ac.com will default to the lowest fare class. If it's selling you Z, there's probably no P. But are you trying the direct or the one-stop? You should try to buy the direct, since upgrades are segment-by-segment.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

ac.com will default to the lowest fare class. If it's selling you Z, there's probably no P. But are you trying the direct or the one-stop? You should try to buy the direct, since upgrades are segment-by-segment.
I was searching for DEL-YVR direct. Z was the lowest.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:10 pm

I was searching for DEL-YVR direct. Z was the lowest.
Did you try as one-way or round trip? Not sure whether that has any impact, but one more variable.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Did you try as one-way or round trip? Not sure whether that has any impact, but one more variable.
I tried one-way.

But the mystery deepens.

EF now shows P6. I call in and Concierge confirms there is P space but only P1. Weird but whatever.

Since the system is not auto-upgrading me, he has to call the Resource Desk. Comes back and tells me the Resource Desk is saying they have to see P space by searching the full routing, DEL-YVR-YOW, which still shows P0 for DEL-YVR, instead of just DEL-YVR. Is this correct?

Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:20 am
Original Poster

I tried one-way.

But the mystery deepens.

EF now shows P6. I call in and Concierge confirms there is P space but only P1. Weird but whatever.

Since the system is not auto-upgrading me, he has to call the Resource Desk. Comes back and tells me the Resource Desk is saying they have to see P space by searching the full routing, DEL-YVR-YOW, which still shows P0 for DEL-YVR, instead of just DEL-YVR. Is this correct?

Ok closing the loop for those interested.

I thought about this some more and didn't think the above explanation made sense since I could opt to only request the upgrade for DEL-YVR and not YVR-YOW. So I called back and the new Concierge agent was able to get it processed by calling "another department". Another case of HUCA working in out, but frustrating that this stuff is so unstraightforward.

And FWIW, after my upgrade was cleared, EF is now showing J9 C7 D8 Z6 P0 R0.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

This seems to be happening more and more with AC.

AC756 on 3/22. EF shows: J9 C9 D9 Z6 P6 R0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S4 T0 L0 A0 K0

I've tried multiple points of sale (US, Canada, Europe) and asked about further advancement (SFO-YYZ vs. SFO-YYZ-AMS), and multiple AC agents all insist they see nothing below D in all cases.

Any ideas?

Last edited by capedreamer; Feb 20, 2020 at 3:22 pm
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Are you flying SFO-YYZ or are you flying SFO to somewhere else via YYZ?
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
SFO-YYZ-AMS. (I just edited my post above to clarify.)
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:22 pm

SFO-YYZ-AMS. (I just edited my post above to clarify.)
Then you need to search SFO-AMS.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
If YYZ is only a connection then you have to check both segments together. The lowest seat/fare count on each individual flight is used for both segments.

Edit: This is the case if both segments are AC. They will show separately if you are on another carrier for the 2nd segment.

Last edited by Yhztraveller; Feb 20, 2020 at 3:35 pm Reason: new info
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:26 pm

Then you need to search SFO-AMS.
@capedreamer, is this about eUps, as your previous question was? Because if so, @canadiancow, are't eUps still based on segment-by-segment availability, i.e. ignoring married segments? In which case, shouldn't the SFO-YYZ availability be what governs it?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
If YYZ is only a connection then you have to check both segments together. The lowest seat/fare count on each individual flight is used for both segments.
That's not how married segments or O/D availability work.

@capedreamer, is this about eUps, as your previous question was? Because if so, @canadiancow, are't eUps still based on segment-by-segment availability, i.e. ignoring married segments? In which case, shouldn't the SFO-YYZ availability be what governs it?
I assumed he would have mentioned R and not D if that were the case.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

That's not how married segments or O/D availability work.

I assumed he would have mentioned R and not D if that were the case.
This is indeed about eUps.

If I search SFO-AMS, EF indeed shows this for AC756: J9 C9 D0 Z0 P0 R0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W4 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0

But as @Adam Smith suggested, I also thought segment-by-segment availability is what matters (this is what a Concierge agent confirmed to me last time as well and ultimately somehow pushed through my upgrade). But today, multiple agents advised they see no P or Z space even just searching SFO-YYZ, whereas I see plenty through EF.

@canadiancow This is a Latitude AMS-SFO round trip (all legs in B). I mentioned D being the lowest fare class available because that's apparently what the AC agents see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.