Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Eupgrade on AE reward ticket with cnx to UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACMM, AC E50K, HH Gold, National EE

Unusual issue - first time for me. I'm flying this evening on a reward ticket (classic reward pts) YYZ-LAX-SAN with the first flight on AC and second flight UA. I've been trying since last evening to OLCI with an Eupgrade to J. I get all the way to the payment then get an error that the request cannot be completed and I have to make the request at the airport. I also tried on the Eup page with the same result. Just got off the phone with AC, who tells me that an OLCI Eup cannot be done because a) I'm flying on a reward ticket and b) connecting to a United flight. They tell me I can try to Eup only at the airport.

This makes no sense to me, particularly given that I get all the way through payment (pts+cash for an Eup from reward ticket) before the request shows an error. Is this the way it is? Seems odd to be, since reward tickets can Eup at T-24 hrs. Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Try at the airport
ffsim likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
AC 793 is R7
AC 787 is R0

So.. it might not matter.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
AC 793 is R7
AC 787 is R0

So.. it might not matter.
Not relevant for eUpgrading X class. You can only get added to the gate list - you can never confirm it ahead of time through official channels.

And since time of request isn't a factor in gate upgrades, whether it's done at T-24 or T-61 is also irrelevant.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Not relevant for eUpgrading X class. You can only get added to the gate list - you can never confirm it ahead of time through official channels.

And since time of request isn't a factor in gate upgrades, whether it's done at T-24 or T-61 is also irrelevant.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it was only a gate list request. I don't think I've ever booked a reward flight that had to be upgraded before. Interesting the T&C doesn't seem to actually point that out - it appears that you can E-up at T-24. Odd that the OLCI system would let you enter credit card info.

I'm on 793 - hope it doesn't fill up. Fingers crossed. Then hope YBYL doesn't take effect...

I really don't miss all the travel....really...
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Stiff
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it was only a gate list request. I don't think I've ever booked a reward flight that had to be upgraded before. Interesting the T&C doesn't seem to actually point that out - it appears that you can E-up at T-24. Odd that the OLCI system would let you enter credit card info.

I'm on 793 - hope it doesn't fill up. Fingers crossed. Then hope YBYL doesn't take effect...

I really don't miss all the travel....really...
You should definitely be able to do it at OLCI, but it just adds you to the onload list in DCS, which is processed at the gate.

Make sure you're at the airport early enough to get on the list before the flight closes.

It looks good. The flight is mostly checked in, and there's only 1 uncleared person on the J list. I don't think YBYL will come into play.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You should definitely be able to do it at OLCI, but it just adds you to the onload list in DCS, which is processed at the gate.

Make sure you're at the airport early enough to get on the list before the flight closes.

It looks good. The flight is mostly checked in, and there's only 1 uncleared person on the J list. I don't think YBYL will come into play.
Follow-up: I got to the airport early and went to the priority check in. The 2 agents there were incredibly helpful and also dumbfounded why they couldn't complete the upgrade, even though everything was in order. Ultimately they had to call their reservations department (with a 30-minute wait time) who initially said it couldn't be done. The agent pressed them and they were finally able to make it happen. All agreed there was a 'glitch' and there was no reason for the issue. I arrived at the gate to a boarding pass already printed and waiting for me. All's well that ends well. Kudos to the agents - they take grief but these 2 (both named Mohammed , forgive if I spell incorrectly) were outstanding. As a side note, while they were working it through, Jerome Williams, Junk Yard Dog, arrived at the next counter straight from the Raptors parade. Mohammed 2 is a huge basketball fan and wanted a picture with JYD. I became photographer for them - Mohammed was delighted.

Thanks for your help as always guys.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stiff
Just got off the phone with AC, who tells me that an OLCI Eup cannot be done because a) I'm flying on a reward ticket and b) connecting to a United flight. They tell me I can try to Eup only at the airport.
@Stiff
I know your issue concluded with a happy ending (relaxing), but don't trust what AC agents tell you - always take it with a grain of salt if you aren't sure of the rules. What they told you about not being able to upgrade on an Aeroplan X ticket is complete BS given the current promotion.
I like AC, but 93.48603% of their call centre agents are absolute useless.
I happen to know the remaining 6.51397% who are actually legit good.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
@Stiff
I know your issue concluded with a happy ending (relaxing), but don't trust what AC agents tell you - always take it with a grain of salt if you aren't sure of the rules. What they told you about not being able to upgrade on an Aeroplan X ticket is complete BS given the current promotion.
I like AC, but 93.48603% of their call centre agents are absolute useless.
I happen to know the remaining 6.51397% who are actually legit good.
@yyznomad
Regrettably you are correct sir. I knew the ticket was upgrade-able, the check-in guys knew it, yet the system was not allowing it and their own reservations dept said it couldn't be done until they were pressed to figure it out.. The moral here is persistence pays off. I shudder to think what would have happened had the priority check-in area been very busy...I certainly would not have had the help from them I'm sure.
I guess this is really a first-world problem - but as you say, the net result was relaxing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.