Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The troubles of a first name ending in 'M'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 35k

So - I booked an AC flight successfully with LifeMiles, but I unluckily have a first name ending in "M". My ticket therefore has a wrong name, because the M is truncated off my name, and presumable was taken for Monsieur. This is usually a bad idea, because the name has to match.

LM has the name correct, AC does not. Do I have to call AC reservations to fix it? The reservation is locked down on AC's side - no problem getting seats etc. through Avianca.

Another question - is there a way to change the FF on the ticket? Avianca allows you to add Aeroplan after the fact but AC still won't recognize it.

Last edited by YXUFlyboy; Feb 18, 2019 at 3:25 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:56 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
See here. Hasn't prevented me from getting on a plane yet. The M is still there in the system, just gets shunted way off to the right on their screens.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Another question - is there a way to change the FF on the ticket? Avianca allows you to add Aeroplan after the fact but AC still won't recognize it.
Absolutely - I've done it before with AC tickets booked using Aeroplan (switching the FF to my UA number which is Gold). This can be done either by going to Manage Reservations on the Air Canada website or by calling AC reservations and asking the agent to enter it in for you. Either option can be done free of charge. Finally, if for some reason you don't want to bother with it now, you can enter that info in during check-in or can flash the frequent flyer card to get in to lounges/access the benefits you need.

Hope that provides some guidance.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

James: thanks for advice but the reservation is completely locked down. I can't even select seats via AC; I have to use Avianca.

Adam: For giggles I called AC res; they said - common problem but your ticket is fine and your name is correct and will show correctly on BP. So you are correct. It's a J ticket so I didn't want to risk it.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:24 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Adam: For giggles I called AC res; they said - common problem but your ticket is fine and your name is correct and will show correctly on BP. So you are correct. It's a J ticket so I didn't want to risk it.
Actually, the name probably won't show up correctly on the BP. If I don't put my middle name (which doesn't end in M), my BPs show SMITH/ADA. But it still works out.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
One of the interesting quirks of having your name not exactly right on the reservation is you can't use a kiosk to check in with a Nexus card, as the system enforces exact name matching. You can, however, OLCI to your heart's content or just use your passport.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone entered their first name as NAMEMMR (adding MR after M) to get it to work properly when ticketing to AC where the system doesn't accept a title? Does this work? Or best not to fudget this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.