Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada OTP Getting Worse?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Air Canada OTP Getting Worse?

Passing time by watching flights at planefinder.net and what I'm seeing tonight is disappointing, to say the least. Nearly every time I click on a flight operated by AC, rouge or AC express, it shows the flight as running late. There are a handful of exceptions, to be sure, but the vast majority of the AC flights appear to be running behind schedule.

Not so for flights operated by other carriers. They're not all on time, naturally. But most of them are.

We all know AC has an abysmal OTP. But is it possible that it could be getting even worse? After 20 minutes of clicking on little airplanes here, it definitely seems that right now, AC flights running late are the rule and those running on time are very much the exception.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Both YYZ and YUL had freezing rain all day today
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
That doesn't seem to be impacting DL, AA, UA and WS flights in/out of those airports to anywhere near the same extent.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:21 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Symmetre
That doesn't seem to be impacting DL, AA, UA and WS flights in/out of those airports to anywhere near the same extent.
Because AC majority of flights/aircrafts use these airports. It's more because of the characteristics of canada's population.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Symmetre
But is it possible that it could be getting even worse?
It sure as heck isn't getting better !
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:32 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sopwith
It sure as heck isn't getting better !

I don’t think it will ever, unless Western Canada’s population grows by a few million and changes the general make up of Canadian Dom travel.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
funny though it seems delays still happen even when departing from southern US to Canada.

except for trans Atlantic or Pacific it seems that with AC you can expect to arrive late. Or even if you land on time you won’t make it to your gate as expected. This week took 150 minute flight and took 30 minutes to get to gate.
I had to wonder if the lack of ground crew was because they didn’t expect plane to be landing on time?
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by 5mm
Because AC majority of flights/aircrafts use these airports. It's more because of the characteristics of canada's population.
And the majority of the other carriers flights originate from airports that never have weather such as ORD, EWR, LGA, MSP, DTW.... Clearly weather only affects AC hubs.

Can't wait to see January numbers after December showed AC 15%+ lower than anyone else in North America.
nexusCFX and mellon like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:12 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu
And the majority of the other carriers flights originate from airports that never have weather such as ORD, EWR, LGA, MSP, DTW.... Clearly weather only affects AC hubs.

Can't wait to see January numbers after December showed AC 15%+ lower than anyone else in North America.
Because of the make up of Canada’s population, AC will be effected the most. US population is much greater. They don’t have a basic East/west flight corridor like Canada. US airlines don’t have the majority of their fleet operate out of 1 or 2 airport. The US has very different flight characteristics than Canada or most other countries in the world. Just as LH is greatly effected if FRA has weather problems or CX is HKG has weather issues.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu

SFO has fog and IAD is no joy. Reality Canadians accept AC failings, and the govt has decided for compensation AC wont be responsible for mechanical delays, maybe because AC 767/320 are sold old, the govt expect them to break down?

We need Europe rules for late/delayed planes to see any changes.
SO to the OP, expect it to get worse as AC planes get even older, and the govt lets AC get away with it.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by 5mm

Because of the make up of Canada’s population, AC will be effected the most. US population is much greater. They don’t have a basic East/west flight corridor like Canada. US airlines don’t have the majority of their fleet operate out of 1 or 2 airport. The US has very different flight characteristics than Canada or most other countries in the world. Just as LH is greatly effected if FRA has weather problems or CX is HKG has weather issues.
Westjet's route network is more Canada heavy than AC's, yet they have a better OTP. How can that be when they use the same airports? If Canada's weather really was a factor, it would affect WS more than AC.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Westjet's route network is more Canada heavy than AC's, yet they have a better OTP. How can that be when they use the same airports? If Canada's weather really was a factor, it would affect WS more than AC.
But surely that AC is YYZ/YUL heavy while WS is heavy at YYC, which is less affected by winter weather, contributes to that to some extent.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:38 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I new someone would bring this up, not knowing the economic difference. Because WS is a lot smaller than AC and doesn’t have AC large presents in YYZ./YUL, their fleet doesn’t travel though these airport on a greater percentage. As WS grows, they will become more dependent on these airports,
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
It could well be an active imagination on my part, but I swear the ground crew at YYZ moves at 1/2 speed. Perhaps there's something in the working culture among them, I don't know.

I see people walking at very slow speeds.I see people standing on stairs leading up to the jetway on their phones. I see people distracted and laughing with one another. And I see this all from the window of my plane that is either arriving or departing late.

To be fair though, I'm only through YYZ every few weeks so my data points are not many and based purely on my observations, biases, and opinions.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
AC came in January at 54%

No matter how our "new" apologist spins it, that's just amazing
KenHamer, arf04, SFO777 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.