Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada OTP Getting Worse?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Symmetre
You are absolutely correct. I pulled that from an annual ranking, which is based on the previous year's full-year performance because it seemed a fairer representation.

In January, AC's mainline ranking was down to 54. Hence the thread title ... I wonder how much longer till it's under 50?
Were they not at 48% last January? So they have actually improved, haven't they?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Passing time by watching flights at planefinder.net and what I'm seeing tonight is disappointing, to say the least. Nearly every time I click on a flight operated by AC, rouge or AC express, it shows the flight as running late. There are a handful of exceptions, to be sure, but the vast majority of the AC flights appear to be running behind schedule.

Not so for flights operated by other carriers. They're not all on time, naturally. But most of them are.

We all know AC has an abysmal OTP. But is it possible that it could be getting even worse? After 20 minutes of clicking on little airplanes here, it definitely seems that right now, AC flights running late are the rule and those running on time are very much the exception.
I guess AC111 was an exception today? Arrived at gate 8 mins before scheduled arrival time... and it’s snowy in YVR!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Any FT down to crowdfund for a full page in globe & mail to call out on AC's atrocious OTP?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Came in on AC18 today. Hit the ground early...Waited for an hour for our gate to clear due to the luggage problems in Vancouver. So my Vancouver lunch plans were late.

I was supposed to fly out later on AC8075. Cancelled.

I was meeting a friend on 8075 as well, he's arriving an AC247, also delayed. We'll see how it turns out.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:39 pm

To be fair, AC8075 was cancelled due to weather. It’s been snowing non-stop since I landed...
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:12 pm

Yea. There was no snow when we landed on AC18.

The concierge now said "it's one of those days."

​​​​I'm heading back to YVR shortly. Anyone able to guest my friend into the lounge?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Yea. There was no snow when we landed on AC18.

The concierge now said "it's one of those days."

​​​​I'm heading back to YVR shortly. Anyone able to guest my friend into the lounge?
All YYJ and YCD flights have been cancelled for tonight...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Wait until February is done. OTP going to be brutal for both AC or WJ.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca

All YYJ and YCD flights have been cancelled for tonight...
​​​​​​
and again tonight!
Jebby_ca likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
​​​​​​
and again tonight!
I wonder, is Encore running their YYJ/YCD flights?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:41 pm

Just left harbour air, our Harbour Air flights were cancelled as well.... Now in a cab trying to get to the last ferry. All ferries after 5PM also cancelled.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I wonder, is Encore running their YYJ/YCD flights?
I don't see any more Westjet Encore arrivals into CYYJ tonight, based on flightaware.com...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Just left harbour air, our Harbour Air flights were cancelled as well.... Now in a cab trying to get to the last ferry. All ferries after 5PM also cancelled.
Yep, rapid deterioration of the ceilings and visibility. Which is uncommon, as the seaplanes often depart with 300' ceilings.

I heard about all Tsawassen-->Swartz Bay/Duke Point sailings being canceled "due to snow". I wonder if that's because staff can't get in? Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo boats are still sailing as per schedule.

Bon voyage (Air Canada).
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Why not fly faster to make up for delayed departure?
Please can someone with more knowledge of how things actually work explain to me. I was on a very delayed SFO-YVR flight a few years ago, and the pilot announced that he'd asked for and then been given a direct flight route, and he'd fly faster, and we made up a surprising amount of time, like 50% of the usual flight time. So that got me thinking, rather than have the knock on effects (and costs) of a delay, why cannot AC just fly their plane a few % faster? Is it because the flight plan cannot be changed at the last minute, or do the fuel costs outweigh the bad publicity from having the unreliable reputation they are getting?

Just last week I switched carriers because I saw that the flight I was about to book is "typically 30 min+ delayed", and I would therefore run a greater risk of being late.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:40 pm
Original Member

I don't know if planes are the same as ships but the theoretical is that fuel consumption increases as the cube of speed.

That is, double your speed - use 8x as much fuel.

On a yacht I crew on we burn less than 4 gallons per hour at 6 knots. At 9 knots we pin the fuel flow guage at >20 gallons per hour. So it sems to work in practice as well as theory.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.